Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM       
Wow. I thought the days of advocating that the snobbish rich educated persons being the only ones allowed to vote were done with.

I think that most don't give enough credit to people being able to choose what they think is best for them.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:35 PM       
I'm not all that jazzed up about Democracy being defined as everybody selfishly voting for their own best interests, but you seem like a reasonable person and I'll work with the assumption that you didn't intend to come off that way.

As for the first part, education is "free" in this country. Why would you assume people would have to be rich to be educated? ... unless I'm right, and we get what we pay for.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!

conus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM       
That Bush is less qualified is exactly what appeals to many voters. He ain't like one of them fancy college boys.

I would like to see voting qualification tests-- something like an S.A.T., but you would have to pass within the top ten percent. If you didn't pass, then you could spend the next year reading and preparing for next year's test. There's plenty of information available in this country. If you remain willfully ignorant, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
I'm not all that jazzed up about Democracy being defined as everybody selfishly voting for their own best interests, but you seem like a reasonable person and I'll work with the assumption that you didn't intend to come off that way.
Um... that's pretty much what happens in a democracy, yes. At least, people aren't going to vote for the guy with the tax plans that affect them negatively just because he's going to use that extra money for the betterment of the people as a whole, for instance. And when you tally up all those voices, you get a rudimentary understanding of what the majority of people want.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM       
I honestly think the only thing that could knock some sense into the election process would be to shake up the two-party system. I think that people would vote much more consciously if they could take their pick from a dozen candidates. And I think it would force the people to put more thought into their choice. It might knock down the percentage of people that actually come out to vote, but I don't really think it's a bad thing that the only people that vote are the ones willing to put thought into it.

I'm not saying I know how it can be done. But some political reforms are definitely in order. Maybe if people get sick enough of political candidates trying to sue their way into the White House - assuming, just for kicks, that it's going to happen again this year.
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM       
Read this.

Give it a shot.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM       
Well, I actually meant to post the link to this:

The dumbing down of America

May 28, 2004

After 35 years hosting a talk radio show I’ve become habituated to being labeled as everything but a child of God. Offensive? Certainly, sometimes. Insensitive? You bet! Guilty as charged. Life is insensitive, so is the truth. I don’t hide from either.

Well, this column ought to certainly stir the puddin’. I wish to make an observation that I dare say most of you are going to find both offensive and insensitive. I really don’t expect to make any friends here, but I may just cause a few people to think for a few minutes.

One day in the late 1970’s I asked my listeners to call and tell me what they thought was the most important thing that they had learned listening to talk radio. At some point during that show a caller turned the tables. He asked me to share the most important thing I had learned hosting a talk show. My self-editing mechanisms were on the blink that day – not an unusual situation – so I immediately blurted out the first thing that came to mind. I told the caller that the most amazing thing I had learned was how truly stupid the American people are. Sorry folks. It’s was just the first thing that came to my mind. Maybe it would have been better if I has said “obtuse” instead of “stupid.” At least then the truly stupid ones wouldn’t have understood, and I might have kept a few listeners.

Well, sad to say, not much has happened in the twenty-something years since that particular program to change my opinion. While it’s no longer true for the bulk of talk radio listeners, I’m afraid it still stands as true for the rest. The majority of Americans can’t tell you who the vice president is. Not two out of ten Americans could tell you the name of their two U.S. Senators and their congressman. Examples are plenteous. Most Americans, for instance, actually think that the United States is supposed to be a democracy. It’s not. New Mexico, by the way, IS a state.

My opinion was reinforced last week when I heard that a Fox News Opinion Dynamics poll found that a huge majority of Americans think that our economy is growing worse. What have they been smoking? Our economy grew at a 4.4% rate during the first quarter of 2004, and these people think it’s in the tank? Employment numbers are up. Manufacturing is up. Government revenue is up. Incomes are up. Home sales are up. Home ownership is at record levels. Poverty is down. The truth is that our economy is doing amazingly well … and poised to do even better; yet the majority of Americans don’t realize this? The forecast for economic growth for the current quarter is between 4.5 and 5%. With these numbers, how do you say our economy is doing poorly? Maybe it’s because so many of these people rely on Entertainment Tonight for their daily news. You do know, don’t you, that more Americans get their news from Entertainment Tonight than from any other single news source.

Let’s cut to the chase. I’ve come to the reluctant but inescapable conclusion that about 50% of the adults in this country are simply too ignorant and functionally incompetent to be living in a free society. They have enthusiastically abandoned their sovereignty to the lure of the welfare state. They are, in fact, afraid to be free. They have no working concept of the responsibilities of individuals who would live free of government tyranny or mob rule. Their ignorance renders them incapable of coping with the responsibilities of liberty. These are people who cannot exist at anything other than a basic level without someone else stepping forward to take care of them. They’re adult children. They need to and deserve to live in a dictatorship, hopefully, for their sake, benevolent.

The real problem here is that the rest of us are constantly suffering encroachments on our own freedoms to provide for the survival of the ignorant. We’re forced to invest (if that’s the word) 15% of our paychecks into a disability insurance and retirement plan that would constitute criminal activity in every one of the 50 states were it not run by government. We must do this, we’re told, because there are just too many people out there who aren’t bright enough to do it on their own. We’re facing the inevitability of socialized medicine. As soon as the social Democratic party gets its way, with no small amount of help from the Republicans, Americans will be waiting months -- if not years – for basic elective surgery. Private citizens will be sent to jail for trying to find a private doctor to treat their ills outside of the approved and official government plan. Freedoms are being lost because of political pandering to those unable to cope.

Solutions? You want solutions? Look, I just came here today to grumble. I’m just tired of seeing rampant widespread stupidity tear down the greatest attempt at self-government in the history of world civilization. Maybe a separation of government and education might help. Perhaps we could restrict voting privileges to those who have a clue. There’s certainly nothing in our Constitution that would prohibit that. One thing is for certain, as the ranks of the clueless increase, as more and more Americans opt for security over freedom, as more people surrender their individuality for the ease of running with the mob, the erosion of the liberties, social and economic, that made this country what it is will proceed apace.

Maybe it’s just time for a good escape plan.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:36 PM       
Quote:
Private citizens will be sent to jail for trying to find a private doctor to treat their ills outside of the approved and official government plan.
Really? But, aside from sounding like a nut, this guy seems to equate ignorance with disagreement with his views. And knowing who are your congressional representatives doesn't mean that you're not generally ignorant.
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM       
No, not generally so... but maybe willfully ignorant enough that the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer for the effects of your ill-considered vote.

It would be like not letting Brittney's marriage affect your own commitment to your spouse.

It would be like many things normally considered fair.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:55 PM       
Quote:

As for the first part, education is "free" in this country. Why would you assume people would have to be rich to be educated? ... unless I'm right, and we get what we pay for.
Education is not free. I'm talking about college. High school doesn't teach you jack shit about anyting unless you go to a private college where all the rich kids are sent by their rich parents. Poverty is inherited and so is wealth. Money begets money.

Since most public schools are based on a tax base of the surrounding area, even the "free schools" are based on how wealthy the area around them is, so again, the poorer areas are underfunded and the children living in those areas get a lesser education. Anyone who walks into an inner city school after walking through the halls of a beverly hills high school can easily see the distinctions.

But the purpose of voting is to pick what you think is best, whether you vote for yourself or the country as a whole is again a subjective interpretation done by the person themself and each person is given the right to pick what they want - it's called freedom and everyone should get their say.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:58 PM       
*edit: private collete = private college prep*

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM       
Quote:
No, not generally so... but maybe willfully ignorant enough that the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer for the effects of your ill-considered vote.
I agreed with that part. As I stated earlier I wouldn't mind voter qualification tests, but they would have to cover more than whether or not the prospective voter knew the names of his or her representatives. I don't think requiring high scores on an SAT-like test is particularly eletist. Even if it is, so what? A majority of German citizens became convinced that the Nazi party had the answers. I don't know if statistical information is available, but I'll bet that the same majority didn't exist among well-informed Germans.
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
High school doesn't teach you jack shit about anyting...
Amen. Seriously.

Most Americans have no more education than that, and most of those folks floated through high school.

I don't think you are a typical Democrat. In my experience, you'd not be arguing like this if you were:
Quote:
...it's called freedom and everyone should get their say.
Using your own comparison of Beverly Hills and normal schools, can you not see that uneducated freedom is different than the kind where you understand your options and power?

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:09 PM       
I think that the whole term "ill-considered" vote is based on a disagreement with the vote itself rather than the underlying rationales.

Being text book educated does not make someone intelligent. I've met geniuses in my field who couldn't change a light bulb; People with PhDs who couldn't change the oil in their car. Does that make them more qualified to make decisions for everyone? There are some people who are extremely educated about abstracts who would never function outside of that if someone took all their money and degrees away and told them "here, go survive on McDonald's salary and live in the ghetto."

The whole process of the vote is to get a sense of what is best for everyone and that only comes from having a perspective outside your own. You never truly know it until you've been there.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
Amen. Seriously.

Most Americans have no more education than that, and most of those folks floated through high school.

I don't think you are a typical Democrat. In my experience, you'd not be arguing like this if you were:
Quote:
...it's called freedom and everyone should get their say.
I'm actually not a typical democrat in that I believe that all sides have merit somewhere or people would not support that opinion. I listen to both sides and come to my own conclusion and I'm more central than anything but I have more democratic leanings and people are comforted by labels and so I choose that one to best represent myself.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:29 PM       
I dunno about that statement regarding highschool. I've learned quite a bit about world history and mathematics, and I'm only a sophomore.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
Amen. Seriously.

i blame Richard Nixon, personally.

In fact, anybody with a ".gov" in their URL should just die!

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
I dunno about that statement regarding highschool. I've learned quite a bit about world history and mathematics, and I'm only a sophomore.
I'm sorry but I don't believe you. Wait about 10 years and then look back and make that statement. Again, you won't know until you've experienced it.
Mocker
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:35 PM       
I believe him, cuz he's proactive and clearly intelligent (or at least inquisitive). Public education is really good at telling you what to learn, not necessarily at teaching you WAYS of learning. OAO seems like an active, rather than a passive, learner.
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:37 PM       
I personally have shown someone with a doctorate how to change their own oil. He appreciated the experience so much that I wound up showing him how to change his own brakes.

Natural intelligence is truly a matter of luck. The desire to learn stuff is not. A high IQ doesn't necessarily equate to higher intelligence. IQ is just a measure of potential. A dumbass that tries really hard to be smart can out-shine a naturally gifted person that rests on her laurels. I know I give those folks more credit.

Either way, what was "intelligent" 20 years ago would no longer even pass as well-thought-out. Intelligent is constantly evolving. You have to keep up. I'm not so sure that simply being born smart is enough to guarantee intelligence of the sort I'd feel comfortable as a qualification for voting rights... at least in this country. Too much is at stake here. To know what you're doing, you have to have more than just a passing interest in what's going on in politics.

Honestly, would you feel so bad living in an America where uninterested idiots didn't get a chance to elect our presidents? I'd be happy with a follow up question to each vote: "Why?"

If you vote for Bush and your answer to that is "2 SUPORT OUR TOOOPS!" I say we just pat you on the head, smile and send you out the same door we sent the guy that voted for Kerry because he's not Bush. ...as we tear up your ballot. You still get an "I voted!" sticker, for what it's worth.

Is there room for corruption there? Sure.

Is our current system not corrupted? No.

I say we cull those that would vote for stupid reasons. Does that make me evil?

I hope not.

Mocker
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:43 PM       
"You are not the only one in the country that knows right from wrong. Most of us do, in fact, the vast majority of us do."
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Public education is really good at telling you what to learn, not necessarily at teaching you WAYS of learning.
Ah. Now I see what PG means.
Blake Stamper is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM       
Oh come on folks, we gotta have a littel faith, I mean a little fate is what made this country in the first place.
When you sum it all up, what you get is a highly talented and seasoned performer who will stop at nothing to ensure that his audience is having the time of their life. So, whatever the occasion, call Blake Stamper for the best in country and variety music.
Mocker
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM       
that sums it up for me.
=======

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
"You are not the only one in the country that knows right from wrong. Most of us do, in fact, the vast majority of us do."
The best and worst thing about you is your memory.

Knowing right from wrong is not the same thing as being aware of when you're being lied to by someone that does it for a living and has a terrible interest in getting you to believe him.

I've not yet said not everyone should be allowed to vote, just that there should be qualifications for the privledge. It's similar to my preferred method for legalizing drugs or immigration. Do it intelligently.