Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM       
assburgers

Added: indeed a quick check of metacritic shows that of the 271 games listed for Wii, 217 score below 75% ( the arbitrary number game reviewers give to "average" games).
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
One multiplayer strategy, along the lines of "get to the torque bow first," and one single player strategy, involving crouching behind cover waiting for your chance to pick everything off slowly, laboriously, tediously, from a distance. That's why I didn't like playing Mass Effect, either. Or any third person shooters that take after Gears.

World of Warcraft also has a very active online community, Zomboid, but under no circumstances does that make it a good game.

I hate to compare apples to oranges here, but in the online department Mario Strikers has any number of hilarious and humiliating ways to kick your adversary's arse, most of which are satisfying as hell to pull off, and counterable, provided you know what the hell you're doing; so, games between equally matched players can and will go on for ages and ages. It is intense as hell and the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game. I'm not just ducking behind cover and shooting some moron who has a smaller gun than me, I am matched on a level playing field of wits and resources, and then through strategy and cunning I cut his head off and smash it onto a pike with my gigantic BATTLE MALLET. That's what every multiplayer game should feel like.

The only comparable thing to it is winning a heated game of Starcraft against some obsessive Korean kid. Except you need way better reflexes.
I'm gonna be honest here: I skimmed that. What I got was that multiplayer doesn't equal good and that you don't like the strategy involved in any shooters.

Oh well. That sucks for you then, because it doesn't look like anything is gonna be changing on THEIR side. You enjoy your one good game a year, though.

I'd say that I should be playing games right now instead of arguing, but if I'm fucking around doing this, I don't feel as bad not doing my homework than I would if I were playing a game.

That was very funny. Well done.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
Yeah, large amounts of polish is a granted quality for games these days except for most games on the wii. GoW just one-upped a bunch of games with certain things, which is why it became so popular.

Not every game is the same because it contains some base attributes that other games contain as well. I don't see why that is hard for you.
Firstly, lack of games with good visual and design quality is a huge problem with the Wii for me, and a complaint I've voiced before. Everything on it looks like a fucking Dreamcast game, despite the fact that it's graphically capable of Resident Evil 4's visuals, which still hold up pretty well. You're still acting like I'm touting the Wii as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not; it's as shitty and flawed as all the other consoles on the market. The PS3 is probably the only one I don't have a srs beef with.

Secondly, yes they are. Yeah, one game is about space marines killing aliens that look like burn victims, and another game is about space marines killing aliens that look like anthropomorphic elephants, but it's still the same old played out bullshit we've seen a million times before. You are nitpicking to a ridiculous degree by arguing that these small differences make the games completely fresh and original experiences.

Is it too much to ask that people do something different once in a while? Sometimes I want games about psychic summer camps and brain harvesting, or assassins with seven personalities, or wapanese losers who win lightsabers off of internet auctions. Or galactic princes rolling shit up into balls and launching them into space, or wandering swordsmen scaling monsters the size of skyscrapers and murdering them to resurrect a dead girlfriend, or a bunch of dorky, psychic kids setting out to kill an evil space abortion from the future.

I hate to be constantly sucking Yahtzee Crowshaw's dick, here, but he summed my thoughts up pretty well when he said "20 years ago, back in the 8-bit era, games could be about French chefs riding giant stick insects weilding a gun that shoots velociraptors. These days a game's considered original if the gritty, well armored soldier protagonist has a moustache."

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:05 PM       
asjklfjksdf
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM       
SO MM, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT'S COMING OUT SOON?

The Wolf
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM       
ON THE TOPIC OF A HORROR THEMED FPS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
System Shock 2 and Doom 3 is what I think, but I liked both of those.

Well, ok, one of those. It does look pretty interesting.
Yeah, I am sooooo sick of all of these similar games! I want some originality!

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM       
Isn't Dead Space a third person shooter
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM       
I also said it LOOKS interesting. It might actually turn out to suck, either because of fathead developers or EA's grand and amazing publishment routines.

As long as the gameplay is fun and they try to expand on System Shock's "surrounded by hostile aliens and a batshit insane AI while also trapped in space" setting, taking it to new and interesting places, I'm sure it'll be peaches.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:06 AM       
Speaking of which, System Shock 2 isn't downloadable off Home of the Underdogs anymore.

Fuck!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM       
it says it's broken and to try back later? they're not taking it down for rights or w/e

Last edited by executioneer : Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: CLARFICATION
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM       
I was going to suggest we get some four-man co-ops going
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:02 AM       
It's hardly fair to say that the Wii is made for nostalgia and people that don't typically play games. It's just made for people that play Nintendo games. Like I said before, My problem isn't so much with the Wii as it is with the industry itself and there just simply aren't a lot of games out that I personally want to play...except for Nintendo games. And even then, my interest is waning in their stuff too.

Personally I didn't like Gears of War, I thought it was dull and the cover system was extremely clunky and unintuitive. Then again, I don't like a lot of shooters.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM       
You sure are an agressive little bunch of people *reads the last pages*

Basically, I can accept that there won´t be many original games in the future, but that doesn´t mean I can´t enjoy "normal" games. Take Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for example...I don´t know how many times I´ve played through that game with a friend, one of the games I spent the most time with this past year...same thing for Condemned 2 (minus the Multiplayerpart, didn´t like that).

I don´t need the holy grail of creativity pour it´s glorious content all over me when I play. Solid games are all I ask for. What I AM allergic to are bad dubs. Which is a local problem of non-english speaking countries mostly, yes, sure.

Concerning Dead Space...I´m actually looking forward to that. It has all the ingredients of a great game. Aliens, Mutants, drifting gigantic Spacecrafts (the drifting is very important), mining and mining-tools that double as weapons, Upgrades (ALWAYS enhance a game, literally) for the suit and the weapons, a main character with a mask and hopefully more than 8 hours of lenght. All it misses are zombies but aliens and mutants are valid substitutes for zombies, so that´s okay.
The Wolf
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid View Post
It's hardly fair to say that the Wii is made for nostalgia and people that don't typically play games. It's just made for people that play Nintendo games. Like I said before, My problem isn't so much with the Wii as it is with the industry itself and there just simply aren't a lot of games out that I personally want to play...except for Nintendo games. And even then, my interest is waning in their stuff too.
It's gimmicky, man. When the selling point of most games is "LOOK! MOTION SENSING!", you can kind of tell that they're not exactly going for the same demographic as Sony and Microsoft. That's not to say that there aren't games for your average gamer, but there's a shitload (and it seems like the majority) of games that are made for Mom, Dad, and now, with wii fit, fatties.

Ox- I agree completely. I really enjoyed Condemned 2, but I'm glad that it was a rental because the multiplayer was utter shit and the single player mode was too short. Still fun though.

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM       
I'm looking forward to FarCry 2 the most. It got something like 96% is PC Gamer UK and the open world gameplay looks awesome. Great graphics and setting too.

I was looking forward to Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for ages but reviews and been slightly poor. I'll still get it though.
The Wolf
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM       
Is that the series where you have reduced accuracy when you're under fire? If so, I played the first one and enjoyed it but for some reason, I never went further than that.

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
It's gimmicky, man. When the selling point of most games is "LOOK! MOTION SENSING!", you can kind of tell that they're not exactly going for the same demographic as Sony and Microsoft.
I agree. I completely and totally agree. But I'm not entirely sure that's what it's made for. People just have no clue what to do with it yet--including Nintendo. Right now I definitely think it's existence is limited to those two things you've boiled it down to, sure, but there's so much more that can be applied. Most of the best Wii games don't have an excessive amount of waggling. There is a TON of shovelware, sure, but you could find the same on the PS2.

The entire thing is future potential, I think. I wish I could say people are doing interesting things with it, but they're really not. WiiWare was originally intended for fresh takes on the controller, and very little of them are. Even worse, there aren't even any good REGULAR WiiWare games like Braid or Castle Crashers. Bomberman was a great idea but there's LAG. There's online lag for fucking Bomberman.

There are good games you can play on Wii that aren't available anywhere else. I love No More Heroes and Elebits (i miss it badly), Boom Blox is good from what I hear and De Blob sounds interesting. I think Mirror's Edge could be great on Wii if it didn't have an extreme amount of waggling (but God i know it would). Devs that aren't really experienced are going straight to Wii and getting their card game compilations on the map because, hey, it's cheap and everyone knows people on the Wii will buy that shit. Look at Carnival Games.

I guess my issue is that the Wii was made to include outside demographics, sure, but I don't think that was all it was...at first, anyway. The runaway success enticed game makers to just play it safe and just make a pool or beer pong game rather than develop new concepts and ways to use the remote. Maybe things will change, maybe not. Maybe the Wii's success damned us to increasingly simple games, like I feel Halo's success damned us to a decade of polished but indistinguishable space shooters.

But the Wii could do great things, if people just fucking tried.
#1 on the ignore list
Neen is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM       
Boom Blox = virtual Jenga.

That said, I'm looking forward to The Conduit, Deadly Creatures, and Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Right now, I'm enjoying Wario Land: Shake it. Not that it's revolutionary or anything, but in this day and age a good sidescroller is a welcomed treat.

Hell, Mario Galaxy, Zack & Wiki, and Metroid Prime 3 are sure to become sought-after gems if the Wii ever goes belly-up.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM       
Yahtzee talked about this today!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...orce-Unleashed

Also, I didn't think Disaster actually existed anymore.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM       
So I got DeBlob. If you own a Wii, you should at least look into it. It takes the freeware tech demo and makes it way more awesome. It's not a system mover, but it's really cool. I dig it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40935.html

Also, I kinda want Disaster, only because it's going to be sooooooo cheesy. I know it'll just be waggle shit, but I've always wanted a game based on natural disasters and shit.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM       
Guys, I love today's Zero Punctuation

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-E-R-Clear-Sky

If I hadn't been told he was reviewing Clear Sky, I probably would have thought he was talking about the first one.

Does the STALKER dev team know how broken their games are? I would have thought they'd fix every problem the original had in the second installment.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM       
They did "fix" the problems, in that they took a lot of the old bugs and tweaked them into exciting new bugs, like the self-operating machine gun bug, and the non-aggressive military guys bug.

Ooh, and the "increasing your max carry weight doesn't improve your sprinting ability" bug. They still hadn't fixed that one by the time I played the game, finished it, and uninstalled it.

A friend of mine put it best: it's basically STALKER modded. Not patched, modded.

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM       
I haven't been able to watch the ZP videos for weeks. When I click them to play, nothing happens.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM       
You have to wait for up to a minute because the Escapist's video player is really bad.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM       
It turns out I didn't update my Flash properly. Thanks, Flash!