Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM        Seth's new body ornamentation
So, I went hardcore grocery shopping for the first time in a long while last week with the goal in mind of keeping off the roughly eighty pounds I've lost in the past fifteen or so months, most of which was lost since this January. I went to that citadel of value and nutrition, ALDI, to get the most bang for my ever-scant buck. I saw a package of attractive knives with fluted blades and stainless steel grips--three for $10! I figured I should get them, you know, so I'd feel more like a cook and thus be less tempted to splurge on fast food so often.

I got them home along with lots of meat and grains and other accoutrements. They were in that obnoxious packaging that you commonly see housing electrical components like USB cords or generic computer mice or whatever. I had a conversation with my cousin about two days prior about how those are actually responsible for a huge number of emergency room visits, so I bore that in mind as I eviscerated the packaging. Ever careful, I succeeded in removing all three knives from their plastic abode. I then noticed, however, that there was quite unnecessarily a cable tie wrapped around the largest member of the set where the tang meets the grip with just enough room for it to be severed.

Now, scissors are always hard to find in my home. I thought that I would test the actual worth of the knives by employing them in the task of removing the cable tie. Knowing that sharp edges and a great amount of force would be used in precarious unison, I invested very great care to cut the tie in a safe direction.

Applying a meek amount of force, I could tell that the cable tie would not easily yield. After two seconds I decided that I should give up and find the scissors, so I relaxed my effort on the knives and lowered their posture.

Somehow, in the act of applying LESS force, the plastic tie yielded in perfect coalescence with a differential of movement. I felt a numb impact on my right pointer finger, watching it grace slightly with teh length of the blade. As far as sensory perception went, it seemed like I had just stubbed my knuckle as if against the edge of a rounded table. I was cognizant, however, that this was probably just shock and that my nerve endings were trying to shield me from a bleaker truth.

I set my hand at my side, refusing to look at it until I could gather an effective plan for wrapping a cut since my bandage collection was rather inadequate. I didn't have time to finish a course of action in my head before i just heard a series of rapid-fire drips of fluid hitting the floor.

I wanted to be incredulous, but the reality that hit me was that I was quickly bleeding. A lot. I looked at my hand and couldn't discern any actual tear in flesh; the font of blood was too quick for any assessment to be made. I rushed to the bathroom sink and rinsed my finger in cold water just to assess the damage, but no. The water came from the faucet clear and hit the basin of the sink crimson. So, I just wrapped it in lots and lots of toilet paper and elevated it, yadda yadda yadda.

After a few minutes of giving my wound time to collect itself, I kindly asked my roomie to cut off a few inches of culinary cheese cloth and a few lengths of masking tape. I really wanted that solution to work for as long as I could make it to the pharmacy to sterilize it and let it heal by itself. However, I didn't like the idea of driving with one hand so I called my aunt to come and evaluate it.

She laughed at the idea that I thought I could get out of this without stitches.

After about four hours, I left the emergency room with nine of them.

They used, for some reason, black sutures. This causes my finger to look necrotic and gangrenous no matter how clean it actually is. I asked my sister about this and she insisted that she's always used bright blue sutures, especially with the numerous stab wounds she had to mend as an emergency room doctor in England.

I keep trying to take pictures of my finger in a manner befitting the beauty of the stitches, but neither my nice digital camera nor my webcam seem up to task. So, these are the best I can do.

Yeah, my wild life.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT

Last edited by Sethomas : Mar 27th, 2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: typos!
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 02:49 AM       
at least you kept your finger

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM       
man, it's such a pleasure to read your posts. It's like they're on a whole other internet compared to the garbage that litters this place sometimes.
Member (haw haw, scrotum)
terrva is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM       
Hey, at least it wasn't your penis. Reminds me of the time i nearly slashed my thumb in half with a boxcutter.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM       
Post more often, Seth.

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM       
I'm glad the damage was fairly contained!

Back in what we'll call my "previous life", when I was working in the ER, I was doing a Christmas Day shift when a guy came in, drenched with blood. He'd been given a new knife for Christmas. He used his old knife to try and cut through the obnoxious packaging. He cut himself three times....once on the old knife, when it slipped, once on the sharp edge of the cut packaging, when his hand ran into it, and once more when the new knife inside popped open. He was pretty torn-up.

That blister-packaging is evil and I hate it. Unexpected zip ties are bad too.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM       
Secret Santa revenge plot added.
Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM       
You should post it on the completely forgotten Scarmageddon.
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM       
A couple years back I cut most of the end of my finger off with the electric hedgetrimmers, and the weirdest part when you do something like that is how it felt just like going through a branch, but there was pressure on my finger, and blood spurted out in my pulse. It was pretty freaky.
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM       
I used to cut Seth all the time just to get him to tell stories.
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM       
Jeeze Seth! You got yourself really good there!
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM       
DV is right, you could have lost your finger. Count yourself lucky.
You may already be there.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:24 AM       
first you cut your hair, then you cut your finger, what's next your w*ener
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM       
seth, these attempts on your life are just getting lazy.
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
seth, these attempts on your life are just getting lazy.
lol
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM       
Looks like you got lucky...or unlucky really, but you know what I mean. But at least you got an entertaining story out of it.
He speaks truth!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM       
BATTLE SCARS
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
BATTLE SCARS
I insist that this be eternally referred to as a hash mark
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM       
I just loved how you built up all that tension, and you still kept your finger tip. WHAT A LET DOWN.

ps: Seriously, glad you're okay. :3
Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM       
Damn, Doc, did you get the end reattached? And why are you acting like it was just a scratch?
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM       
Well, it was damned freaky at the time, but later it was just a pain, no pun intended. I got it sewed up, and it was cool. But it wouldn't be the first dumb thing I've done, lots of which were way worse. It's the price you pay for being a dumbass teenager.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM       
Seth, I had a question about your car.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM       
Yeah, but I didn't feel like answering it at the time. You asked what kind it is, right?

My new car is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXI Limited. We still don't know how to describe the color. It was listed as "brown", which I'm confident prevented the auction from going up several hundreds and perhaps thousands of dollars more, but it's actually a nice tone of copper-ish.

Chrysler is the same as every other nominally American car company in most regards other than financial success, but in recent years it's taken to the marketing strategy of pretending like it's European in style. Their biggest success seems to be the 300, which was designed on the assumption that Americans are dumb enough to regularly mistake them for Bentleys. As a result, I would imagine that people stopped buying Bentleys here for the shame in having them mistaken for Chryslers.

The Sebring model is Chrysler's reaction to the Ford Taurus, which is to say a horrifically bland car that actualizes a typical mid-lifer's realization that he cannot afford a sufficiently vain crisis.

The JXI indicate by some arcane logic that the car is not only a convertible, but the "I" tells that it is a "sports" model of convertible. This is evidenced by the leather seats.

The final "Limited" addendum tells that it's even sportier than the standard Sebring JX and even the elite JXI. I guess that explains the hilarious alloy wheels and the sound system that will likely see to a sharp reduction in the range of pitch and volume in my hearing. Also, the "Limited" addendum indicates that the gear shift includes an extra function that allows you to pretend like it's a manual transmission.

It's funny that I ended up with this car, because in terms of my finances, pragmatic ability to pick it up, and basic wants it was the best choice. Yet, it also included a huge number of bonuses beyond these that include the kind of thing that I typically make fun of people for electing--a ridiculously powerful sound system and deluxe wheels that are in themselves probably worth (to people who give more of a shit than I) almost what I paid for the whole car. As a result, I'm mainly pleased with myself for having made a good investment in that I could probably hold onto it for two years, add thousands of miles to the odometer, and still sell it locally at a very nice profit. As it stands, the fact that I neurotically investigated the market for weeks before buying a car 800 miles away let me get it for just over half of its market value. Maybe when the weather is nicer you can expect a photo of car and driver in full sexiness.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM       
Watch out for more bean fields is all.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM       
See, among the hilarious facets of that episode my favorite right now is that I spent a great deal of effort trying to flip the car right-side-up before standing back and imagining that I couldn't take a properly-grounded car and flip it upside-down. Extrapolating that I was wasting my effort, I felt that I'd made an epiphany of physics up there with the Schrödinger Equation.

In close second is the moment when I found a cute girl's phone number in my pocket, having forgotten about her by that time, and feeling an extreme sense of accomplishment right before I had medical scans performed looking for internal bleeding as everyone in the hospital expected me to drop dead any second.

And then there's the detail that my brain conveniently deleted the part of my memory telling how I actually got OUT of the car from being pinned inside upside-down, since the windshield was intact and there was no space whatsoever for me to have crawled out the window. And, even if I had done that one would expect my entire outfit to have been covered in mud while in fact I only had a light grass stain at my knees.

Another hilarious part? With the extreme malaise I had upon landing in total darkness, I came to the conclusion that I was dead and experiencing my first moments of perdition. I decided, however, that I should prevent a car fire from taking place so that my family could have an open-casket funeral and so I reached forward and turned off the still-running ignition.

What I mean, really, is "say no to drugs, kids". Even--ESPECIALLY--when you have no idea that they're in your system.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT