Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Johnyy Darko is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM        POSTAL 2: Apocalypse Weekend Is going to Rock
It looks so cool!!!

http://www.gopostal.com/postal2/aw.php

http://www.gopostal.com/postal2/video.php

http://www.gopostal.com/postal2/awscreenshots.php

DDAAF Supporter
We're not hitchhiking anymore - WE'RE RIDING!
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:05 PM       
No. No it does not. Perfectly oval-shaped blood blobs do not look awesome. Also, it's spelled Johnny.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM       
i liked postal 2, and i suppose a sycthe can only make it more fun.

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:12 AM       
Wish my computer could run it, I'd love to design my own levels like it says you can do.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM       
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Postal 2 sucked. Once you get over the childish violence ("Cool, I get to set people on fire and pee them out!!!!11one"), it's an incredibly boring and generic FPS. And not that it matters so much, but the graphics are pretty shitty too.

Now if you excuse me, I have to go buy some milk and meet Gary Coleman. THRILLING!
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM       
Thanks James, we really needed to hear you repeat yourself for the umpteenth time regarding Postal 2. In fact, can you do us a favor and make a web site about your disdain for Postal 2 and link to it in your signature? Then we could all go visit it anytime we felt like seeing what you think about the game. That'd be just tops.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM       
Will you pay for hosting fees?

I think I only said it before once or twice, and you jumped on my case then, too. I could be wrong, and am willing to admit I could have goen on about it more. And I'll admit right now that my method of voicing my dislike for the game isn't the most intelligent (does it really need to be?). But still, I just don't see what's so great about this game.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:15 PM       
It's not meant to be a big game with an in-depth story. It's just like the very first Postal game in which you play it just to blow off some steam and have a few chuckles. Simple as that.

Hell, that's the only thing I ever played GTA for... never even bothered with the story. Just loaded up the cheats and destroyed everything in sight. Never had time to play the game all the way through the real way.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:16 PM       
Here, I will make an attempt at a more intelligent discussion about the expansion pack:

"20 New Maps - Visit all new areas of Paradise including the Elephant Preserve and the Taliban Training Camp."

I have to assume each "map" is another area attached to the town, which means that there are at least 20 new places where you get to sit and wait for the new area to load up. One thing that was incredibly annoying about Postal 2, was the frequency of load times you would encounter, which made exploration fairly discouraging. I'd like to think this will be fixed for the expansion, but I doubt it.

More imporantly, the Taliban Training Camp thing really sticks out here. I don't know the context of it's purpose in the game, but I'm pretty sure I don't care either. If I had to make an assumption, I'd guess that RWS is just trying to add more shock value to get attention, or worse, stirring up more of that anti-terrorism fear and hatred to appeal to those who want nothing more than to kill Middle Easterners. It wouldn't surprise me if other new areas include a day care center and Saddam Hussein's prison.

"New Melee Weapons - Hack your enemies to meaty bits!
- Includes the amazing boomerang Machete, the Scythe and the head-popping Sledgehammer."

Aside from the IDEA of using these new weapons, what significance will they have in the gameplay? I can't imagine there being any new animations or graphical adjustments accompanied by these weapons, nor would I imagine them to have any significant strengths or weaknesses. Will decapitating someone with a scythe be any more entertaining or important than decapitating someone with a shovel?

"New Characters - New enemies abound, including MadCow-infected Tourettes Zombies, Killer Attack Cats and suspiciously Gary Coleman-esque Demonic Midgets."

Umm... Right. So enemies that shout obscenities (SHOCK VALUE!), cats that actually fight back, and more Gary Coleman. Part of me wants to believe that they deliberately wanted to use Gary's likeness again for some sort of humor, but the other part of me believes they were too lazy to make unique character models.

"Story Driven Gameplay - Amusing cinemas advance the "story". Look Ma, we made a game with a plot! Sort of."

And this is the main problem. A game like this is just pure, foolish violence. At the very least, it needs a story to really give you a reason to play. Look at GTA, for example. If you don't have anything driving the game along, you're just playing a game for it's violence level, which isn't even that high to begin with in this game. And the frequent load times really detract from this reason to play, as well.

And maybe I'm missing it, but I see no mention of allowing players to design their own levels. Only thing I could think of is making your own textures of mods, which you can do in pretty much any FPS these days.

So really, I don't see anything here that would advance the original game, which was mediocre at best to begin with. And I do hope I made enough of an intelligent discussion to please you all, despite that fact I don't like the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
It's not meant to be a big game with an in-depth story. It's just like the very first Postal game in which you play it just to blow off some steam and have a few chuckles. Simple as that.
I'm very aware of what it's meant to be. The problem is that I feel what it's meant to be doesn't amount to that much enjoyment. If I want to load up Vice City, I have a lot of areas to travel to, a lot of ways to do it, and a lot of ways to cause trouble. In Postal 2, I didn't see enough variation or challenge to really warrant more than 5 minutes of blowing off steam. There are screen savers that can pretty much convey the same thing as Postal 2.

But if you like it, that's fine. I just don't see the point, and I get easily frustrated when people like things that I don't.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I have to assume each "map" is another area attached to the town, which means that there are at least 20 new places where you get to sit and wait for the new area to load up. One thing that was incredibly annoying about Postal 2, was the frequency of load times you would encounter, which made exploration fairly discouraging. I'd like to think this will be fixed for the expansion, but I doubt it.
Actually, the load time issue was addressed a long time ago. Shortly after the game came out actually. So that's no longer a problem with the Postal games.

Quote:
I'd guess that RWS is just trying to add more shock value to get attention
They've always done that since day 1, nothing new there. I don't think it's the characters that people playing the games care about, it's the ways in which you can kill them.

Quote:
Aside from the IDEA of using these new weapons, what significance will they have in the gameplay? I can't imagine there being any new animations or graphical adjustments accompanied by these weapons
Actually, there are new animations with certain weapons. The scythe, for example, allows you to hack the person into a ton of pieces which is something you couldn't do before.

Quote:
And maybe I'm missing it, but I see no mention of allowing players to design their own levels. Only thing I could think of is making your own textures of mods, which you can do in pretty much any FPS these days.
I'm at work right now, but if I still have the email at home I'll post it. I'm on their mailing list and they send out different info sometimes than what's posted on their site. You can apparently design entire levels of your own, not just texture mapping.

Quote:
and I get easily frustrated when people like things that I don't.

Lighten up man, it's a silly game. If ya don't like it fine, just don't keep bitching about it when those of us who do enjoy the pointless slayings of Postal feel like talking about it.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM       
What was the last game that you liked, James?
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM       
Well... Um... OK, you got me. I hate ALL VIDEO GAMES THEY ARE FOR FAGS.

By the way, I wasn't aware they fixed the load times issue, since I had only played the demo. Good to hear.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:34 PM       
You've based your entire opinion of Postal 2 on an early demo?

Mocker

James sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:51 PM       
How foolish of me. Next time, I'll come to you to buy me a game when I'm not sure if I'll like it or not.

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM       
Wow, I never realized a second stringer game could produce so much debate. This is about as intellectual as arguing whether Orbit or Big Red is the better chewing gum.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:30 PM       
James is kinda right... Postal 2 wasn't anything special aside from the chaotic violence factor, which is always fun. It gets boring kinda fast, though.

Not like Serious Sam.
Hay Ladiez! Howzit going?
BlueOatmeal is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM       
This game better be cheaper than 20 dollars. I liked Postal 2 but I downloaded it. There was no way in hell I was paying 50 bucks for a 10 dollar game.

CALL ME! CALLL MEEE! WHY DON'T YOU CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!678-416-3492 How about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
What the fuck are you talking about? He loves da ladiez.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:51 PM       
I agree with oatmeal I downloaded it too Because it was too shitty to pay $60 Canadian for it Even tho i liked it
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
James is kinda right... Postal 2 wasn't anything special aside from the chaotic violence factor, which is always fun. It gets boring kinda fast, though.

Not like Serious Sam.
i bought serious sam for a dollar at electronics boutique, but my computer can't run it. fucking video cards.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:31 PM       
I greatly disliked Postal 2 as well. The wacky violence wasn't interesting enough to cover for the utter lack of other good qualities.

Old May 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM       
Quote:
Well... Um... OK, you got me. I hate ALL VIDEO GAMES THEY ARE FOR FAGS.
Seriously, what was the last game you liked?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:29 AM       
socom
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM       
Well, yes, SOCOM is a great game. But I guess the last game I liked would be Dark Cloud 2, which I'm playing now.

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM       
Well there you go. I ask only for a point of reference because the only one I could remember was Kingdom Hearts.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM       
I like a lot of games, but I also don't like a lot of others. It's the damndest thing.