Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:31 PM        Banned play
Theatre stormed in Sikh protest

Five police officers were hurt and two people arrested
Hundreds of Sikh demonstrators protested outside a Birmingham theatre against a play depicting sex abuse and murder in a temple.
Five police officers were hurt during struggles at Birmingham's Repertory Theatre on Saturday night.

Two men were arrested and the theatre said some demonstrators stormed the building before the performance of Behzti (Dishonour) was cancelled.

The theatre and the Sikh community will meet police on Monday.

The theatre has been the scene of several protests by members of the Sikh community, angered by author Gurpreet Bhatti's depiction of murder and sex abuse.

The protesters claim the play, which centres around two characters and is set in a gurdwara, a Sikh temple, mocks their faith.

The play's author has revealed threats had been made against her and she has been advised by police not to say anything in public.

Saturday night's protest turned violent at 1845 GMT as around 400 people gathered outside the theatre.

'Work of fiction'

Five people were arrested after several protests were held outside the building earlier in the week.

Mohan Singh, a local Sikh community leader, said: "When they're doing a play about a Sikh priest raping somebody inside a gurdwara, would any religion take it?"

In a statement, the Birmingham Repertory said more than 800 people were evacuated, security guards were attacked, a foyer door was destroyed, windows were broken in a restaurant and demonstrators entered back stage and smashed equipment.

None of the audience were said to have been hurt.

Supt Russell Smith, from West Midlands Police, said: "Our stance is to enable people to make a peaceful protest.

"But they have to respect the public and they have to respect the people who want to actually attend."

The faith leaders had asked for the setting to be changed from a temple to a community centre.

Theatre management insist the play is a work of fiction and no comment is being made about Sikhism as a faith.

The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Birmingham, the Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, said: "Such a deliberate, even if fictional, violation of the sacred place of the Sikh religion demeans the sacred places of every religion."

BBC News[/url]
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM       
WTF are these faggots crying about? Christians have had monastaries, confessionals, etc all depicted as scenes of horrible violence, sometimes perpetrated by the priest in movies and theater.

The Name of the Rose is the first that comes to mind, and it's an awesome movie about a series of murders in a monastary, and the murders are being committed by a priest, but there's no rape, so I guess it's OK to rack up a bodycount as long as you don't rape anyone.

Fucking sissies fanatic about the idea that their "holy men" are incapable of being anything other than saints. It's that sort of head-in-the-sand mentality that has allowed "people of faith" to get away with atrocities throughout history.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:04 PM       
I'm going to write a play that consists of me rambling on for an hour while sculpting something that resembles Jesus from my own feces.

I bet I'll get goverment funding, too.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:49 AM       
In canada

It's sad, I don't get that joke.