Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM        US number one in supplying arms
U.S. top arms supplier to developing world

WASHINGTON, Nov. 13 (UPI) -- The United States supplied 46 percent of the arms sold to developing countries in 2005, a congressional report said.

The Congressional Research Service said the level of arms sales was the highest in eight years, the Boston Globe reported.

"We are at a point in history where many of these sales are not essential for the self-defense of these countries and the arms being sold continue to fuel conflicts and tensions in unstable areas," said Daryl Kimball , executive director of the Washington-based Arms Control Association in Washington. "It doesn't make much sense over the long term."

The report looked both at deliveries of weapons and contracts for future delivery. Russia, the second-ranking arms supplier, was responsible for 15 percent of sales in the developing world, and Britain for 13 percent.

Researchers suggested that the arms trade is now fueled as much by the economic interests of U.S. weapons manufacturers as it is by national security.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM       
Is this suppose to be a shocker? Arms dealers were buying some kind of huge ass rifle from the local American gun dealer that could shoot down airplanes. I think a conversation on why on so many forums I've seen "show me your gun collection" is more relevant.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM        Re: US number one in supplying arms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
Researchers suggested that the arms trade is NOW fueled as much by the economic interests of U.S. weapons manufacturers as it is by national security.
What is important to note in this blurb is the NOW I highlighted in that last sentence. The suggestion is that the evil profit motive has finally begun to be as much a motive in US arms deals as has always been national security. The fact that we are the leading supplier of arms isn't the story... that hasn't changed. The only new "information" here is that some unnamed "researchers," possibly not even affiliated with the Congressional Research Service, suggested (not even stated) that US arms manufacturers are simply selling for profit now as much as they are for reasons of national security.

Do you understand the security aspect of us selling arms to other countries? Influence. Information. Control. The above quoted sentence just about confirms the validity of the security strategy behind our arms policy. It's implied that profit was only a secondary benefit of arms sales up till now, but NOW weapons manufacturers are selling their guns for evil profits just as much as they are for reasons of national security. For SHAME, gun people!

You actually buy into this crap, Geggy?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!