FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Drev is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM       
When it comes to the markets, my biggest question is:

When will Microsoft strike?
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM       
LOLZ if micro$oft make a handheld it would be the size of a cinderblock and give u a bluescreen LOLZ

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM       

And that Starcraft idea is gold. I prefer warcraft 2 but hey whatever.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
LOLZ if micro$oft make a handheld it would be the size of a cinderblock and give u a bluescreen LOLZ
i think it would be like a PDA but all of the cool crap riped out of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:11 PM       
yeah, i was just imitated the average internet person who rips on miccrosoft, just because they are microsoft, yet still use their operating system (except for the hardcore who use linux, to which they have every right to make fun of microsoft)

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
So really, both systems are putting out a bunch of remakes. It's just a question of which remakes you'd most like to have.

It's nice to know Boogie's reading comprehension is as top-notch as always.
Ah yes, sorry about that. I can be a bit confusing at times. Let me break it down for you:

You began the thread with a comparison between some of the launch titles of the DS and PSP. Of the high-scoring PSP games, 5 of the 7 were remakes. I recalled an earlier instance of you braying like an ass about all the things you hated about the GBA, chief among your complaints the fact that there were too many redone games. Curious, I decided to inquire about that bullet wound in your foot.

What I got in response was a brief description of some of the additional content added to the PSP remakes, along with you harping about one of the changes from the SMB2 remake. From that, I drew the conclusion that you do like remakes of games, but only in certain cases. I myself repeatedly buy into the many Castlevania games, but at the same time scoff at Nintendo's shameless, cynical porting of Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario, et al. It's a perfectly reasonable opinion. Not like you at all.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM       
Like I said, you're being an idiot.

First off, it's not that I do not like remakes. I do not like "remakes" of SNES and NES games providing BARELY any new content (if any at all) for $30. I do not feel the content in the game justifies that kind of price in this day and age. I also do not like it when these remakes make up the majority of the games people consider worth buying for a system. Ports of PS2 games for the PSP is a lot more reasonable, given that the PS2 is still a thriving system, and the content found in the games is considerably more plentiful. While I certainly do not want the PSP's library to be filled with the same games available for the PS2, it's not like Sony is actually doing that, and they certainly aren't re-releasing all their PSX games on the system.

Second, 5 out of 7 of those games are remakes? I thought in my response, I cleared up that they weren't. Out of the list, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix could be considered the only "remake," as it's just like THUG2, except with the addition of 4 new levels and goals. That's a small change, but it's a welcome one. Everything else you might consider a "remake" is actually a new installment in an existing series. I'll admit very easily that there are a few ports now out for the PSP (mostly from EA), but they also tend to have a fair amount of additional content to their PS2 counterparts. And as of this time, they're not making up the majority of the PSP's library.

Do forgive me if I am sounding like pro-Sony/anti-Nintendo. I'm merely defending my stance. Why, I have no idea. Because no matter what I say, you're simply going to ignore it and decide what my opinions are for me, which is why I had to make this reply in the first place.

I know what you're doing, and it's working, but for all the wrong reasons.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM       
James, quick question: When did you first really get into gaming? What system/era?

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM       
That's a hard question to answer, really.

I've had video game systems in my house for as long as I can remember. There was a ColecoVision in our house when I was born, and an Atari a couple years later. My first conscious memory of getting a video game system, was getting an NES for Christmas with about 20 games. I remember when the Game Boy came out, and I played some boy's at my brother's Karate competition, and we got our own a couple months later.

The SNES was the first system I actually wanted (the NES, I believe, was my brother's request. I was too young to have a lot of knowledge about games). But most of the games early on were all decisions of my brother's. I was just along for the ride.

I suppose I REALLY got into gaming during the second half of the SNES' lifespan, when I was more knowledgable about video games. I'd started reading EGM, and knowing what games were coming out and how good they were going to be. So instead of my brother deciding what games we wanted, I was now able to decide what games I wanted.

And then Final Fantasy 7 was coming out, and I NEEDED a Playstation for that. I don't know why, considering before that, I'd only played Final Fantasy 6 with mild interest (not old enough to appreciate it. Replaying it has made it my favorite FF game ever).

So I suppose the answer would be between the second half of the SNES lifespan, and the arrival of the Playstation.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM       
Off Topic Garbage:

Cool, I was hoping you weren't just a PS child

As for FF7, I know alot of people who first discovered RPGs with 7 and will go on and on about their RPG knowledge and haven't even gone back to play the others or have never heard of classics like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Ultima, Wizardry or Space Quest. In the end they have no reference for their stupid discussions. I'm glad you saw the light with 6 after you were ready to appreciate it, best rpg still. Some hard earned allowance on that game (59.99). I really started digging video games at the early stages of the NES. We were a Atari/Nintendo household and that's just how it went. My older brother got me into RPGs cause he would try and keep them from me which got me interested. Was able to go and play his RPGs once I could comprehend and he showed me the ropes.

7 launched the success of the rpg genre to the general gamer but changed the focus of who they made rpgs for. The mass public will ruin everything.

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM       
It's already been ruined. Just look at FF10-2. I don't think that game was for the average RPG fan.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:05 PM       
I wouldn't necessarily call King's Quest/Space Quest/etc RPGs. With the exception of Ultima (and Wizardry, maybe), those are all just adventure games. But yeah, I've been playing video games since I was 4 or 5 years old.

I readily admit that I am a HUGE Playstation fan though. The PSX-PS2-PSP rival the feelings I had about NES-SNES-GB, in that the company has just kept giving me so many reasons to like them. While I may not be the biggest fan of Nintendo's anymore, I still LIKE them and WANT them to succeed, but I'll also comment on when I find something wrong with what they're doing (as reasonable as possible), and feel it prevents them from succeeding.

And yeah, FFX-2 wasn't that good. I'm a DIE-HARD FF fan now (even struggled through FF2j), but I am having the hardest fucking time completing FFX-2, and I'm AT THE FUCKING END OF THE GAME. I have to beat Via Infinito (hardest part), and go to the final stage and beat that. And I can't bring myself to. I'd have an easier time removing AIDS with the power of my mind, than to bring myself to sit and play more of FFX-2.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I wouldn't necessarily call King's Quest/Space Quest/etc RPGs.
but Quest for Glory IS a RPG you have a class and build up stats and everything
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM       
and theres hit points, man! HIT POINTS!
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM       
Quote:
King's Quest/Space Quest
Yeah King's Quest and Space Quest are more adventure games but they could be considered a form of rpg if you are so inclined.... and I was Space Quest II was one of the games I have very fond memories of.

Can't quote directly but "Did you remember to fill up with gas?" "It was your turn." blip blip blip *coyote fall* classic

FFX-2, that game makes me laugh. I did play through it once and enjoyed the job setup but it isn't a FF game that's for damn sure. New game + is a good feature to have and few games use it so it was nice to see another one toss it in. It was a decent game imo, but I was going in knowing that it wasn't going to be awesome and that normally helps.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM       
The only thing I hate about the DS is that if you loose the little pen thingie you have to use your fingers and it makes the bottom screen all greasy.
Other than that DS easily owns PSP.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM       
I haven't actually played the PSP, but I looked at a notebook full of specs on it in GameCrazy or w/e it is the other day and it wasn't that impressive. Then again, I wasn't really impressed by the DS, either.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM       
I'm impressed with the PSP's video quality. If I had monies, I would purchase it.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
The only thing I hate about the DS is that if you loose the little pen thingie you have to use your fingers and it makes the bottom screen all greasy.
Other than that DS easily owns PSP.
They sell replacements styluses (styli?) in packs of three at Best Buy. Some even come in different colors. Fancy.

Anyway, I've played a few good games on the DS, but for me, the whole thing still feels like one big gimmick. The whole dual screen bit doesn't exactly feel like the next big thing in gaming. In the Metroid Hunters demo, the touch screen made aiming a lot easier, but it just doesn't seem that innovative, like this was the best Nintendo could come up with to match Sony.

Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM       
The touch screen itself is gimmicky (you can still do plenty of cool stuff with it though) but the system is pretty nice. PSP has the more power but the DS has excellent presentation and style, it just isn't being backed up heavily by Nintendo unfortunately.. They love to spread themselves thin.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:15 PM       
The PSP is the first handheld I've had a desire to own since the Game Gear (yeah, i know, shut up, it was color), but mostly for the neat media crap you can do with it. That and anything with a stylus is mostly retarded.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM       
i would love to get one of the different colored ones, as the silver one looks a bit bleh.

Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM       
ugh, that blue one looks like shit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:46 PM       
space quest and kings quest are not rpgs in any way. They were adventure games, in the most essential way we use the term. Exploration, survival, puzzle solving and plot development. Most RPGS are about patient stat building, item hoarding and battle strategy. Quest for Glory is one of the most successful hybrids of adventure games and rpgs. I tend to think that if we really had to call some computer games 'role playing' ones, they should be more like Quest for Glory and less like fancy looking roguelike clones like Diablo, but the industry seems to disagree with me there.

and anyone who got into console gaming while ignoring computer gaming while the Amiga was around lost out on the best stuff.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM       
You know, adventure games like those would really save the DS' ass.