Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM        Sony ordered to pay $90.7 mil. in patent infringement suit
I have not seen this posted yet so here it is....

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7 million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.

In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo News)
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content...at=4&id=332037

pwnt
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM       
90 mil is chump change for them.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:34 AM       
indeed, but having to stop selling all dual shock controllers and games which use them is going to cause havoc.
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM       
Yeah, complete world chaos.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM       
havoc, within the company. And you knew damn well thats what i ment.

I expect they will find a way around it though. they'll buy the other company or something.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM       
Vibration is overrated in my opinion anyway. I usually take it off for alot of games. Go to set the controller down and BRRBRBRBRBRRRBRBRR it rumbles off the coffee table.

The last time I really cared about the vibration feature is when it first came to N64 included with Star Fox 64. Other than that, I tend to find it annoying.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Hay Ladiez! Howzit going?
BlueOatmeal is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM       
I remeber when I got Metal Gear Soild for the PS, I went into the options menu, clicked on high vibration or whatever it was and put the controller on my crotch. Godammit that was an awesome game!

CALL ME! CALLL MEEE! WHY DON'T YOU CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!678-416-3492 How about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
What the fuck are you talking about? He loves da ladiez.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM       
Does this mean no dual analog or something? Because PS2 has the most comfortable controller i've ever used.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM       
The odd thing is that what is being claimed to be "infringed" upon is actually only vaguely similar to what is used in the Dual Shock. I don't have the original article, but I believe the only thing they both had in common was they both vibrated. But the patented item in question had very little to do with force-feedback vibration.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM       
Wait, what exactly did Sony infringe on? A vibrating controller, or the dual analog system?
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM       
vibrating controller. and sony a-peal-ed, so they can still sell ps2s and stuff....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM       
RE: code veronica for ps2 would not have been half as good without the vibration
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:01 AM       
xbox controllers do this too. one of the guys responding to the article had a great point in that NASA invented the centrifuge and an idea of a spinning counterbalance machine to begin with. There was also a lawsuit with AVG against sony, namco, atari, etc etc etc over using 'a 3D-rendered device that shades objects and has zoom controls'. Patents are way out of hand in the US and while you may not think this case is very important, shit like this threatens peoples' ability to create ANYTHING, not to mention destroy the entire videogame industry if these assholes get what they want.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM       
Ahh yes, the inevitable fall of Sony. I've been waiting for this ever since some dork in middleschool started preaching about how much "better" the PS1 was than N64.
This lawsuit is the happiest thing I've read all day, and tonight I'm gonna party til I'm purple. :spongebob
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM       
Obviously you don't know good gaming, because you just shit on a galaxy of good games
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM       
I dont get how people are loyal to one system I have them all and i like them all.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM       
this just in some obscure company has just patented the internet so u better all get off it right now or else youll get sued
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM       
I'm sorry GW, but you are fucking batshit nuts if you think the N64 is in any way better than the PS.

That's like saying the 3DO kicks Microsoft's ass.
ABSeNCe is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM       
I think people go so nuts about console wars because they want to assure themselves they made the right buy. All the systems are good, and bad in some ways. Why not just let it go guys? :/
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM       
Do you like Pepsi or Coke? I think Pepsi is gross, yuck!
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
I'm sorry GW, but you are fucking batshit nuts if you think the N64 is in any way better than the PS.

The N64 had a better controller
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM       
That thing became a grappling hook when you couldn't find anything to play. Branch didn't hold. :(
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM       
Glad to see I'm not the only one to try tht

As of late I've been finding Redeeming Qualities in the GC if Nintendo can get their head out of their ass and do what people want instead of setting up a niche market with about 10 good games, they can probably hit #2 in the game sales soon after the Xbox is cut from MS.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin

Playstation didn't have Mario Party or Super Smash Brothers, or anything else like that. The only good PS1 games I have played are MGS and Silent Hill (), but those were piles of shit compared to the quality of N64's titles.
was never good
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:41 PM       
You say 'anything else like that' like there is a library of other games as good as those on the N64, which is just false. Those games, Mario64, Zelda, Starfox64, and Goldeneye were the only redeeming titles on the system. Playstation had thousands upon thousands of titles, including the Parappa series, the Bemani series, Tenchu, MGS, Twisted Metal, Castlevania: SOTN, Smackdown, Final Fantasy... Actually ANY game that was ported to console that was worth half a shit and not made by Nintendo was on the Playstation. N64 had about 6 good games and a limited selection of shit to dress it up, and a stupid controller on top of all that.

I own both and got my N64 during the whole $64 deal thing they had going on just so I could play Mario 64 and Goldeneye, because those definitely WERE good games. Nintendo continues to make stupid business decisions and ruin themselves with their consoles and will eventually whittle their corporation down to a software development company, which is fitting since that's all they're really good at these days anyway. Then you can love Sony's products since you'll have your Mario games on that system and I won't have to hear about milestones in gaming history are pieces of shit compared to a plumber's refurbished wacky capers. It's a win-win situation.