Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Nerd is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM        FF6 party help
I'm about to play through FF6 again, and I need suggestions for a party. The party I used last time was Terra, Celes, Sabin and Locke. Locke kinda sucks, even with the Illumina and Atma Weapon, becuase Sabin and Terra almost always do more. What partys do you guys use?
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:06 PM       
...For what, exactly?

Unless it was for something that required more strategy, I'd use Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, and Gogo.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM       
I don't like Edgar because his best attack, Chain saw, only does 5000 at best.

Cyan's sword techs get old fast. It sux having to wait a good 10 seconds letting the enemies beat on you just so you can hit them for 2000.

Gogo is good but you get him very late in the game. I usually don't get him as soon as I enter WoR, because the Ninja's in there can kick my ass all over the place.

For what, exactly? Nothing specific, just your general best party. I'm having a real hard time because most characters have some sort of flaw that makes them vastly inferior to the others.
(Note: The above examples are based on near end of the game.)
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:40 PM       
I always use Shadow cause his throw does a lot. Terra's good cause her magic does a lot. Sabin is great, but it's a pain in the ass doing those blitz things. And if you take a lot of time getting enemies and you find one that's real good, then Gau is good.

Cyan is real good if you give him both the gauntlet and the offereing.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
Strago can kick incredible amounts of ass if you get all of his Blue Magic.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:14 PM       
I was never really fond of blue magic; more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather stick to the good ol' black/white/gray.

I considerd using Shadow once, but decided not to . I think it was becuase I didn't know where to get those skiens.

Gau? I herd about that cat scratch trick, but never really used it before. If you don't know, when Gau uses the Stray Cat rage he'll use the attack Cat Scratch, which'll do 9999 around level 30. I think. I could give him a whirl I guess.

Cyan might pull his weight in battle if I give him the Genji Glove/Offering combo. I might give it a shot.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:36 PM       
Genji Glove! Not gauntlet, that's what I meant. That does a lot with Sabin too.

Strago's best blue magic is Grand Train and it doesn't do all that much. Strago is only good if you have A LOT of different spells.

I haven't played this game in so long. I should play through it again. This and Chrono Trigger.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:43 AM       
Feh, I have no idea what part of the game you're in, but a lot of the monsters can be beaten down with physical attacks, so my main party always had Sabin, Edgar, and Cyan in it. Sabin's Pummel (or Bum Rush), Edgar's Drill or Chainsaw, and Cyan's Gengi/Offering combo always tear shit up.

The fourth person would either be Gogo or Setzer, depending on what I needed. Coin Toss is a very valuable tool, and so is Mimic.

I have no idea why your attacks are so low. If you're at the end of the game, you should be pulling all nines from all of those people.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 03:08 AM       
I just finished that game again a week ar so ago. I rotated through most of the characters to keep things interesting.

Except for the painter girl. She is worthless.

That yeti though paired up with that rage ring thing- whoo buddy.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:57 AM       
If your levels are low, there's a forrest north of the veldt, and east of Gau's father's house. You see nothing but Tyranosaur's there, and sometimes Brachosaur's, which give you an assload of experience. And even if they are too hard for you to kill, just use the vanish / x-zone trick on them (and if you don't know that, just cast vanish on an enemy, and immediately after, cash x-zone).
- Outerspacekid
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:53 AM       
Screw the drill and the chainsaw, give Edgar the Pearl Lance, level him with an Esper to boost his luck, and watch him cast Pearl on everything he attacks. Then Sabin with Genji/Offering, Setzer with coin toss (by the latter parts of the game, you should have way too much gold), and Terra with mad magic skills (Gem Box and Quick).

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 03:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Feh, I have no idea what part of the game you're in,
Does that really matter? I always use the same four people through the whole game once I get 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I have no idea why your attacks are so low. If you're at the end of the game, you should be pulling all nines from all of those people.
You're kidding, right? I never was a fan of that "switch your esper right before a level up trick", because it was too tedious. Near the end of the game, I just concentrate on building up the insignificant characters HP, because it's so low. I don't pump everyone to level 99, maybe 50 or so for everyone. And even then, Kefka's Tower is pathetically easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Screw the drill and the chain saw, give Edgar the Pearl Lance, level him with an Esper to boost his luck, and watch him cast Pearl on everything he attacks. Then Sabin with Genji/Offering, Setzer with coin toss (by the latter parts of the game, you should have way too much gold), and Terra with mad magic skills (Gem Box and Quick).
That sounds very interesting, especially the Pearl Lance trick. I'm definitely going to give that a try. Oh, and the relic combo you're referring to is Gem Box/Economizer. At the end of the game, my Terra can pull two 9999's a turn for just two MP.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 04:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Waste
If your levels are low, there's a forrest north of the veldt, and east of Gau's father's house. You see nothing but Tyranosaur's there, and sometimes Brachosaur's, which give you an assload of experience. And even if they are too hard for you to kill, just use the vanish / x-zone trick on them (and if you don't know that, just cast vanish on an enemy, and immediately after, cash x-zone).
This works on some bosses, too, by the way. Try it on the Behemoth you fight before you rescue Shadow/Relm in the WoR.
LuvMeKoala is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:27 PM       
If you decide to have shadow in your party, just make sure you do wait for him on the floating island. Otherwise that would suck.

I myself always used Terra, Sabin, Edgar, and Locke/Celes. If you have the genji glove and the X-attack thingy, oh I can't rememebr it all, you can attack 4 times, or 8. Man its been awhile! But mebbe it'd be more help knowing who you shouldn't use, like Relm, Strago and Umaro. Gau and Gogo...meh..same with mog.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:01 AM       
Nice job. Way to be as informative as a bumper sticker. You did good.

The vanish/x-fer thing works on almost every single boss in the game. It's kind of cheap though, and you know what? For some reason I'm thinking now that it doesn't give you experience or something when you do it. It's not like I remember that game.
- Outerspacekid

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:37 PM       
The Vanish/X-Zone trick is the uber-cheap. Only pussys use it on major bosses.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM       
Any party will do fine.. The game is easy but of course the best. My favorite party is Cyan, Edgar, Setzer and Shadow. Any character can be unstoppable. I like Edgar in there cause he enjoys the Atma Weapon with the Aura Lance, Genji Glove, and Offering combo. He is pretty devestating that way. Any character is. Mog is also fun since with his equipment he can take no damage.

edit: oh another fun thing to do is take Umaro to the Fanatics Tower. Only magic, heh, not for Umaro.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:47 PM       
What about magic? It doesnt seem you have any mages in that party.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:55 PM       
Everyone can use magic. If you need to buff their magic skill just toss Tritoch or Zoneseek on them while they level. Everyone in my party always learns every spell so magery is definately not a problem in FFVI. I just use the best characters, IMO. Mage power can be raised if needed. I normally raise their vigor to start off with though. Nothing better than packing a punch while attacking 8 times.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM       
Everyone can learn magic, yes, but some charecters are made for magic (Terra, Celes, Strago). Putting one of them in my party is a first priority, since magic can devastate evan at low levels.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM       
Don't be a moron. You can level up character's stats. Magic can be and is powerful for almost every character. Sure some have higher mage power but that is just a weak starting stat anyway. Everyone can gain magic power. Relm, Strago, Terra, and Celes start out with good mage power but that doesn't mean much of anything.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:40 PM       
Sure it does. It means they'll always have more magic power than everyone else. Lets say you give Locke and Terra two magic raising espers right from when you get them. Terra's magic power will always be higher, and will get to the max of 139 faster. I don't want to put up with pathetic magic attacks. I would rather take someone who's naturally good at it so they can hold their own in battle.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:50 PM       
You must not have played through FFVI too many times, either that or you haven't experimented with how to optimize your attack party. There is no reason to have a static character in FFVI. Dynamic character building is the way to go since magic attacks are devestating as long as you raise it enough and physical attacks blow everything out of the water with the right combination.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM       
Not to mention, Terra has a bunch of exclusive equipment to herself and Celes and boosts their Magic Power. But I digress.

You're right, stats really don't matter that much in the game. Thing is, I'm lazy. I COULD train Locke or anyother character to have a high magic stats, but I takes a lot of leveling up that quite frankly, I don't have the patience for. I would rather use Terra or Celes who already has decent magic power, and thus no extra leveling up needed.

Plus, as a little tradition of mine, I always keep the girl in the front so she's the one walking around on the world map. And since Terra and Celes are the the easiest on the eyes, well...
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:23 PM       
At least we can agree that FFVI kicks ass