Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM        Gates wanted to close Guantanamo in first weeks
Gates wanted to close Guantanamo in first weeks: report
Fri Mar 23, 12:47 AM ET

Soon after becoming defense secretary, Robert Gates argued the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, should be closed because the international community would view any trials there as tainted, The New York Times reported on Thursday.

Instead, Gates, who became Pentagon chief in December, argued that terrorism suspects should be tried in the United States to make the proceedings more credible, the Times said.

Vice President Dick Cheney, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and others argued against bringing detainees into the United States, and the discussion ended when President George W. Bush agreed with them, the newspaper quoted administration officials as saying.

"He basically told Gates to shut the fuck up."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had joined Gates in pushing for the facility to be closed, administration officials told the newspaper, but President Bush called her a stupid bitch and told her he'd "deal with her later," whereupon he made a hand gesture that indicated a pimp-slap was coming for her ass.

Indefinite detention and allegations of mistreatment at Guantanamo, which the U.S. military denies, have tarnished the U.S. image abroad. Many countries, including U.S. allies, have urged the camp be closed.

One official said the issue may come up again if Gonzales is forced to step down because of the battle over fired U.S. attorneys.

"Let's see what happens to Gonzales," the senior administration official told the Times. "I suspect this one isn't over yet."

The newspaper said the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were recounting confidential conversations.

The United States has brought charges against just one of the 385 foreign captives at Guantanamo. Australian David Hicks, 31, has been accused of providing material support for terrorism by fighting for al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Hicks is charged under a new system of war crimes trials authorized by the U.S. Congress last year.

The United States has declared its intention to try 60 to 80 of the 385 foreign captives held at Guantanamo, including 14 "high-value" prisoners sent there in September from secret CIA prisons.

Some administration lawyers oppose bringing the captives into the United States because that would give them more constitutional and statutory rights, the newspaper said.

The Bush administration has insisted it needs to hold and try suspects at Guantanamo as part of its war against terrorism launched after the September 11 attacks on the United States.

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM       
Yeah, I read this.

I don't think Gates signed up to be a stoodge, but you have to wonder how willing he is to be one. I guess he's satisfied with his own people leaking he wanted to do the right thing.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM       
Quote:
the newspaper quoted administration officials as saying.

"He basically told Gates to shut the fuck up."
Could you seperate your editorials from the clipping itself?
The media takes enough creative license with these reports as it is.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM       
Nobody reads this crap. I do that sometimes just to entertain those of who do. Admit, you thought it was funny.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:47 AM       
haha i laughed when i read that shtu the fuck up thing but i never would've imagined it would've been the handiwork of preechr.

EVER