Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM       
So an interesting theory I have been hearing bounced around on sports talk is the 4 superconferences break away from the NCAA theory.

A few things of note

- The NCAA has reams of rules that are very restrictive
- Football and basketball have no farm system or minor leagues like Hockey and baseball do, the NCAA is in essence the NFL and NBA minor leagues.
- The NCAA, despite all it says to the contrary, is in fact a monopoly
- We are seeing a shift of teams between conferences like I have never seen in my lifetime, and nothing like it has been seen since the 30s 40s and 50s
- The Big 10, ACC, and Pac 10(12), have all added teams in the last year, and the SEC is poised to increase their size as well, all 4 conferences seem to be interested in expanding even further as well
- the Big 12 and Big East are about to disappear entirely as BCS conferences

4 conferences with 16 teams each would have the clout to break off from the NCAA and run their own college sports league, there's no doubt about that. But is that where things are going? I am not sure myself, but I would love anything that topples the choke hold the BCS has over logically deciding a definitive national champion.

So how can we know for sure?

My theory? Watch what Notre Dame does. If the ND football program joins a conference (and the Big 10 has been courting them to do just that for decades) then I would say it is a dead cert that the 4 superconference theory is sound.