Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM        MORE Bush service records service, W disobeyed direct orders
Records Say Bush Balked at Order

By Michael Dobbs and Thomas B. Edsall, Washington Post Staff Writers

President Bush failed to carry out a direct order from his superior in the Texas Air National Guard in May 1972 to undertake a medical examination that was necessary for him to remain a qualified pilot, according to documents made public yesterday.

Documents obtained by the CBS News program "60 Minutes" shed new light on one of the most controversial episodes in Bush's military service, when he abruptly stopped flying and moved from Texas to Alabama to work on a political campaign. The documents include a memo from Bush's squadron commander, Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, ordering Bush "to be suspended from flight status for failure to perform" to U.S. Air Force and National Guard standards and failure to take his annual physical "as ordered."

The new documents surfaced as the Bush administration released for the first time the president's personal flight logs, which have been the focus of repeated archival searches and Freedom of Information Act requests dating to the 2000 presidential campaign. The logs show that Bush stopped flying in April 1972 after accumulating more than 570 hours of flight time between 1969 and 1972, much of it on an F-102 interceptor jet.

White House officials have said there was no reason for Bush to take the annual physical required of fighter pilots because there were no suitable planes for him to fly in Alabama, where he applied for "substitute training" to replace his required service with the Texas National Guard. But the new documents suggest that Bush's transfer to non-flight duties in Alabama was the subject of arguments among his National Guard superiors.

Release of the documents came as Democrats and some veterans stepped up their criticism of Bush for allegedly failing to meet his sworn obligations to the Texas Air National Guard. A new advocacy group called Texans for Truth, which has links to anti-Bush groups such as MoveOn.org, yesterday unveiled a TV ad to be screened in swing states asserting that Bush failed to show up for Guard duty in Alabama.

White House officials dismissed the latest criticism of Bush's service as partisan attacks in the midst of a heated campaign. In an interview with "60 Minutes," White House communications director Dan Bartlett said "partisan Democrats" were "recycling the very same charges we hear every time President Bush runs for reelection" and added: "It is dirty politics." But he did not contest the authenticity of the documents, which could not be verified independently by The Washington Post.

A spokeswoman for "60 Minutes," Kelli Edwards, declined to say exactly how the new documents were obtained other than that CBS News understood they had been taken from Killian's "personal office file." In addition to the order to Bush to report for a physical, the documents include various memos from Killian describing his conversations with Bush and other National Guard officers about Bush's attempts to secure a transfer to Alabama. Killian died in 1984.

"Phone call from Bush," Killian recorded in a "memo to file" dated May 19, 1972. "Discussed options of how Bush can get out of coming to drill from now through November."

According to "60 Minutes," Killian's personal files show that he ordered Bush "suspended from flight status" on Aug. 1, 1972. National Guard documents already released by the White House and the Pentagon (news - web sites) show that Bush was suspended from flight status on that day for "failure to accomplish annual medical examination" but do not mention his alleged failure to comply with National Guard and Air Force standards.

In another "memo to file," dated Aug. 18, 1973, Killian complained that he was under pressure from his superior, Col. Walter B. "Buck" Staudt, to "sugar coat" Bush's officer evaluations. "I'm having trouble running interference and doing my job," he wrote in a memo titled "CYA." "I will not rate."

Staudt has insisted that he was not influenced by Bush's status as the son of George H.W. Bush (R), a Texas congressman in 1968 and later head of the CIA (news - web sites). He has also rejected the assertion by former Texas lieutenant governor Ben Barnes (D) that Barnes intervened with the head of the Texas Air National Guard to secure a position for Bush there at the request of a Bush family friend. Barnes, who has raised money for Democrat John F. Kerry's presidential campaign, repeated the assertion last night on "60 Minutes."

In releasing Bush's flight records, White House spokesmen yesterday expressed frustration over what they depicted as the Pentagon's failure to produce a full and complete record of the president's military service.

"It's clear that DOD [the Department of Defense (news - web sites)] did not undertake as comprehensive a search as had been directed by the president," said White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan, just days after assuring The Post that Bush's full personnel file had already been released. "We have again asked that they ensure that any and all documents [relating to Bush's military service] are identified and released."

A Pentagon spokeswoman, Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke, said Bush's flight logs were found at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, which is the central repository for veterans' records. She said the logs were found among a batch of records sent to St. Louis from Norton Air Force Base in 1993, which were originally thought to contain records of active-duty officers rather than of National Guardsmen such as Bush.

The Bush administration has issued government-wide instructions centralizing the release of information relating to the president's service with the Texas Air National Guard between 1968 and 1973. Officers responsible for implementing the Freedom of Information Act for the National Guard and the Pentagon declined to respond to queries from The Post last week on the completeness of the president's records, referring a reporter instead to Krenke and the White House press office.

The new commercial by Texans for Truth, to be aired on $110,000 worth of television time in battleground-state cities such as Harrisburg, Pa., and Columbus, Ohio, shows Bob Mintz, who served as a lieutenant in the Alabama Air National Guard at the same time Bush was supposed to be serving, speaking to the camera:

"I heard George W. Bush get up there and say, 'I served in the 187th Air National Guard in Montgomery, Alabama.' I said, 'Really? That was my unit. And I don't remember seeing you there.' "

Steve Schmidt, a spokesman for the Bush-Cheney campaign, charged that Texans for Truth "is a front group for MoveOn.org that has spent tens of millions of dollars attacking the president. . . . This is a smear group launching baseless attacks on behalf of John Kerry (news - web sites)'s campaign that will be rejected by the American people."

Glenn Smith, the head of Texans for Truth, is a former political reporter for the Houston Chronicle and Houston Post and has been a Democratic consultant, working on campaigns in Texas and other states. He ran Tony Sanchez's unsuccessful bid for Texas governor in 2002.

Smith said he was angry over ads created by another advocacy group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, attacking Kerry's service in the Vietnam War.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Burbank
White House communications director Dan Bartlett said "partisan Democrats" were "recycling the very same charges we hear every time President Bush runs for reelection" and added: "It is dirty politics."
Every time?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:48 PM       
I"m waiting for the next "BAD NEWS FOR LIBS" thread....
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM       
I'm proud of my record of signing documents promising to do things I didn't do and disobeying direct orders.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:13 PM       
Who gives a shit about this or Kerry's Vietnam record? Besides idiots who favor party over priniciple.

35 years ago.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM       
I still can't edit posts....
So I'll make this one.

"I heard George W. Bush get up there and say, 'I served in the 187th Air National Guard in Montgomery, Alabama.' I said, 'Really? That was my unit. And I don't remember seeing you there.' "

Thats funny thou.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM       
I will absolutely agree this is a distraction from the much more potent issues at hand.

I don't think it's irrelevant, though, and once Swift Boat Vets did their thing, as John Mccain found out for years ago and Max Cleland much more recently, you better fire back full force.

I think the most telling boiling down of this mini issue is:

There are questions about wether John Kerry deserved all the medals he won while voluntarily serving in Vietnam.

and

There are questions about wether W. actually fullfiled his service to the national Guard at the same time.

The ONLY reason I can think of for the Bush administration actually inviting this comparison is real fear about the lectorate actually looking at anything else.

Don't think any other admittedly far more pressing issues will be handled any more seriously. Today W. said that John Kerry will have no choice but to hike taxes by billions of dollars to pay for things he's proposing, so he has a secret tax plan he's not going to tell you about. Maybe, but it ignores the possability Kerry could pay for his programs the same way W has payed for his tax cuts and the war. Put it on your grandkids credit card.

I mean, it's not as if the government gets to do things for free. Somebody at some time is going to have to pay for it. Is W. going to argue he's been fiscally conservative?

In the mean time, Kerry has had every oppurtunity to really go for the throat on W's current record and the state of the war in Iraq, but he's held back at every opportunity, because A.) As far as the war goes, while he might never have waged it the way W has he knows if he becomes president he's not going to be able to wage it very differently and B.) I believe he's made a clinical judgement that this election comes down to swing voters and oissed off moderate republicans.

So they might as well argue about Vietnam. At least as of this moment, neither side sees any advantage in substantive argument period.

conus is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:01 PM       
Quote:
35 years ago.
I think it's very relevant. He refused to take a medical exam and admits to having had a long-term alcohol problem. The underlying causes of alcoholism and drug addiction don't simply go away, even with treatment. Evidently Bush's only treatment was that Jesus made him better. Since I have no evidence that Jesus fixed him, I have to assume that the same personality disorders that led him to abuse alcohol and illegal drugs for many years are still extant. And his finger is on the trigger.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Burbank
White House communications director Dan Bartlett said "partisan Democrats" were "recycling the very same charges we hear every time President Bush runs for reelection" and added: "It is dirty politics."
Every time?
This issue goes back a long way. He's been attacked on it not only as far back as the initial presidential election, but I think they hit him with it when he was running for governor of Texas. That's the only reason I can think of as to why he said "reelection" ... unless he just mispoke or is stupid. :shrug

Wherever you go, there you are.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:22 PM       
Funny... It now seems those Killian memos were faked, and badly.

Dan Rather got Duped, tonight on the 61st Minute

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Funny... It now seems those Killian memos were faked, and badly.

Dan Rather got Duped, tonight on the 61st Minute
Oh, fuck.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM       
I'd wait awhile to see if these were fakes or not. I think they desevre at least the benefit of the doubt that was given the Nigerian Yellowcake Forgeries.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 07:01 PM       
bush didn't show for his medical exam because his piss would have landed him in the stockade.

i don't know much about the killian memos except that fox and much of the right wing would be saying what thier saying whether they were fake or not.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:51 PM       
Will this be the thread naldo posts todays (9/20) confirmation that the CBS documents are fake?