Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:05 PM        Policy for the middle east
Well, as someone with liberal beliefs, I don't think Islamic countries are the way they are because of western intervention. However, what I think some liberals are saying is that terrorists attack us because western countries have become involved in middle eastern politics. That they would continue to kill each other and fight each other with or without western intervention, it's just that western countries become a target when they get involved.

Besides that I really haven't heard of the point that the middle east is messed up because of western intervention before your post. However, I'm not one to follow the whole Israel and Palestine conflict closely, so maybe it's a point people use talking about that.

Personally, I think if it would be possible it would be good just to shut off the whole middle east to the rest of the world and let them sort out their own problems. No one goes in or out, no trade, no nothing. Then check in on them every 5 or 10 years and see if they have worked things out and if not then shut them off again. Only this is not a possible solution, because that kind of restriction would never work. Not to mention all of that oil that western countries want from the middle east so that it's just about impossible to cut off trade completely without oil prices skyrocketing.

We could easily cut you off. We choose not to because its not directly expedient and corporate pressures convince the government not to.. But if we needed to we could convert to alternate technology in a second. You are the ones that need us. We give you millions of dollars worth of welfare every year to stop you from killing each other (not that it helps). Without us you would behave like sub-Sahara Africa; you would be a bunch of tribes and warlord massacring each other every week.

____

Someone e-mailed this to me.

Who here agrees?