Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM        The Lost Tomb of Jesus on Discovery
Anyone watch this or the critical follow-up?

So far it's been really interesting, but I can't say I'm convinced. :<
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM       
I think its the biggest load of publicity whoring horseshit that I've ever heard in my life. Is it so fucking inconcievable that there would be another guy named Jesus with father named Joseph and wife named Mary?

I knew that Simcha Jacobovici was a pompous idiot even before this happened. "The Naked Archeologist" is the stupidest show I've ever seen.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM       
I found myself believing it until the "critical look" afterward where Jacobovici made himself look like a jackass.
Proprietor of Propaganda
Gabby GaGa is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM       
every few years or so, the history and discovery channels come out with a new "jesus" series.

It's really the Christian retaliation to the recent discovery that jesus may have been married and with children
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:32 AM       
lol

please dont tell me you're talking about that thing where jesus moved to japan and lived in some village?

or that gnostic thing where simon the magus takes the place of jesus.

share this information
Proprietor of Propaganda
Gabby GaGa is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM       
about a year ago
they came out with the infamous Mary Magdalin was his lover series.

before that
they had some jesus-spoke-to-noustradamous series.

I think my all time "favorite"
was the one detailing the various ways fire and brimstone would be brought upon the earth.

now that was entertainment.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM       
I think we should all be a lot more perturbed by the fact that channels like Discovery and NG are devoting so much air time to fiction instead of science.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby GaGa View Post
every few years or so, the history and discovery channels come out with a new "jesus" series.

It's really the Christian retaliation to the recent discovery that jesus may have been married and with children
Recent discovery? This had been tradition for centuries in some sects. The Davinci Code just rehashed it. And how the hell is this "Christian retaliation" when it contradicts mainstream Christianity?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky View Post
I think we should all be a lot more perturbed by the fact that channels like Discovery and NG are devoting so much air time to fiction instead of science.
Has this ever not been the case?
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM       
You may be right, Emu, but it seems to me that over the last year or so in particular, I'm seeing the words "Jesus" and "Bible" appear in their program listings more than I used to.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM       
This is on Discovery, right? Don't they have a show about an idiotic biker family in NY? (actually right near my home town)

Why exactly does the religious stuff bother you? It's more interesting and appealing than some special on spores and their medicinal benefits.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM       
Honestly, he's right. These documentary channels are treating this like religion in general and Christianity in particular were some sort of major influence in human history and that getting to the bottom of them might give us some perspective.

I know. Its just crazy.
I b Willies Cookie Tester
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM       
Why drop the ratings? If it's what the general public want to believe, or not. It's more about the money received by sponsors, then what may or may not be fact or fiction.
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
This is on Discovery, right? Don't they have a show about an idiotic biker family in NY? (actually right near my home town)

Why exactly does the religious stuff bother you? It's more interesting and appealing than some special on spores and their medicinal benefits.
Yeah, I dislike that band of retards just as much as the biblical stuff. I admit that I tend to reflexively bristle at religious-oriented material, probably because so much of it was forced on me as a young kid. I realize it is partly irrational, and I admit that I've watched very very little of the show. That's' unfair, so I'll watch one or two to give it a chance.

Blanco, I have no comeback for that. That was funny.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky View Post
You may be right, Emu, but it seems to me that over the last year or so in particular, I'm seeing the words "Jesus" and "Bible" appear in their program listings more than I used to.
To me, it seems like this has been a general trend in television and news as a whole instead of any specific channel. Religious organizations and interest are actually growing in the US (as opposed to receding, like has been argued), in spite of (or perhaps because of) the more aggressive stance that's been taken by both angry, discriminated atheists and whackjob fundamentalists alike. To put it simply, people love religious controversy. Take the Da Vinci Code, for instance.