Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:41 PM        Limbaugh Blasts Quarterback on ESPN
Did he play the race card with a quarterback?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._quarterback_2

Limbaugh Blasts Quarterback on ESPN
Wed Oct 1, 9:45 AM ET

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

PHILADELPHIA - New ESPN commentator Rush Limbaugh said on the network's pregame show that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback do well.

McNabb called the whole thing "sad," but an ESPN spokesman said he didn't think the comments were racially biased.

"He was comparing McNabb's performance on the field to his reputation in the media," spokesman Dave Nagle said Tuesday. He said Limbaugh doesn't do interviews.

On ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown," Limbaugh, the outspoken conservative radio talk show host, said he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start. The quarterback's career has included two straight NFC championship games and MVP runner-up.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

A decade ago, there were few black quarterbacks in the NFL. This season, 10 of the 32 teams will have started black quarterbacks in at least one game.

"I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb," Eagles coach Andy Reid said, calling his quarterback "the best in the business."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he started. On Sunday, the team was 32-13 over the Buffalo Bills.

With Limbaugh, ratings for the ESPN show are up 10 percent overall this season, and up 26 percent among men 18 to 34 years old, Nagle said. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

Limbaugh is best known as the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton (news - web sites) and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:00 PM       
A dream because he is too fat to ever play football himself.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:17 PM       
Didn't take him long, did it? I mean, this wasn't SUCH a gaff, and I guess I understand what he meant, which, while petty, is more accusing other people of reverse racism than actually being racist.

How long you figure before he says something really awful he can't wriggle out of?

If Jimmy The Greek weren't dead, the two of them could trade ideas.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:15 AM       
Oh, look at that. Limbaugh resigned from ESPN because his comments were reflecting badly on his co-hosts.

Rush Limbaugh resigns from ESPN after criticism of Philly QB

NEW YORK (AP) - Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN tonight, three days after saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

``My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated,'' Limbaugh said in a statement. ``I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

``I love `NFL Sunday Countdown' and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it,'' Limbaugh said.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted the resignation.

``We regret the circumstances surrounding this,'' he said in a statement. ``We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously.''

Earlier today, Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and Rev. Al Sharpton called for the cable sports network to fire Limbaugh.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/6911071.htm

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:36 AM       
Rush didn't say anything that was racist. It was opinion. They hired him to be a fan's voice and to give his opinion and they hired him because he is contraversial and entertaining.

You wan't to know why people look down on black people? Shit like this. Whining over nothing.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:40 AM       
It's a good thing you're not a racist piece of shit, Vince. And at least you don't whine over nothing, like all those lousy black people.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:50 AM       
Where is the outrage over poor schools in urban areas?

Where is the outrage over liberals who use words like "******" with open abandon?

Where is the outrage over Al Sharpton lying about a black woman being raped by white men?

Where is the outrage over what rap music has been doing to the young black community?

Where is the outrage over the crime that occours in places of poverty, many which happen to be black?

Those are REAL outrages.

This is punishing a man for his thoughts over something that must of had a point to it. The only person who saw it for what it really was is Peter King.
Will chop you good.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:56 AM       
Quote:
You wan't to know why people look down on black people? Shit like this. Whining over nothing.
You're not fooling anybody, Vince.

By the way, how would you feel if you knew some of your tax dollars were going to help those poor schools in urban areas? I'm pretty certain we can all guess.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM       
Its the truth. Sorry if it is biting.
Will chop you good.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:29 AM       
Quote:
See, Vinny, the problem was in your phrasing. It should read like this:

"You wan't to know why I, VinceZeb, look down on black people? Shit like this. Whining over nothing."

That way you can stand on your own as a racist shitbag, rather than try to make it look like you're part of some big consensus.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Its the truth. Sorry if it is biting.
Do you KNOW any black people, Vinth?

I know tons of black people who are hardworkers. Many of them have come from hardscrabble situations, and have pulled their way out of it. Sure, there are lazy black people, but there are lazy white people, too.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:36 AM       
"You wan't to know why people look down on black people? " -only people like YOU look down on black people, you xenophobic, bigoted, blinkered, brainwashed drone.

I 'look down' on people like YOU who ludicrously claim to be christian when they are the most hateful, ignorant, joyless hypocrites alive.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:50 AM       
The liberal assault is on.

Did I say I look down on black people? Nope.

I live with someone who is black, so I hope I know someone that is black. Be kinda weird if I didn't.

With all the real issues facing the black community, THIS is the one that sparks outrage? Give me a break!
Will chop you good.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM       
Invite your black friend (if he really exists) to the site and let him read some of your posts, particularly in this thread. Maybe while he's finding out what a real prick you are, you can search your house for your sub letter, and the name of that medical condition that kept you out of the military.

Hey, why don't you invite the handjob-giving chick, and the strippers with the implants, too? It'll be a great big party!
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:57 AM       
The Liberals are storming the fort Vince! Hold them back you glorious White Knight!

So this person that you live with, does he whine? Is he lazy? Does rap music make him do things to his community??
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:59 AM       
sounds like the media, rush, and now presidential candidates have way overblown a comment that was barely racist..

we should all have more tolerance than this if you ask me..
Rush would probably have said something 'criminally' bigoted eventually anyway.. sad he's out on the wrong comments.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:08 AM       
The last that I would do with my friends is hang around on the internet and post on a web site. If that is what you do with your friends in a social setting... it's pretty sad.

My roomates are guys that work hard and have fun. I enjoy living with them.

Let's cut the shit. If you all want to have a serious discussion about the comments and if they were racist, then lets have it. If not, drop your liberal namecalling.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:11 AM       
In the great words of Newsfilter:

"If you wear a shirt calling our President a terrorist, that is free speech. If you burn the flag, it's free speech. If you take a cross with Jesus hanging from it and submerge it in piss for the sake of "art", that is free speech.

But opposing affirmative action and using the NFL as an example constitutes your head on a platter as does saying the word God in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Welcome to America."

It should be noted that the piss-christ mentioned was not made up for the sake of argument. (Also, I don't think you should be forced to say "under God", but I do think that you shouldn't be punished for saying it.)
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:16 AM       
I seem to remember that the guy that did the 'jesus in piss' had his head served on a big silver platter with gold trimmings.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:22 AM       
It's free speech, yes. Nobody's suggesting that Rush Limbaugh needs to be fined or imprisoned for what he's said. Simply that he's a despicable human being.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:34 AM       
FS, why is Rush Limbaugh a bad human being? For pointing out things that you would rather not deal with?
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:37 AM       
mcnabb is a great quarterback, rush was wrong on that point

but i can see where he is coming from, and to be honest i dont really like black people that much, i am all for giving EVERYBODY a fair shot (who the hell am i to think i am better than another person?), and i try very hard to treat everyone with respect and kindness, i really do.

but

if you have ever lived near blacks then you know that unless they are uncle tom (or culturally white) then 99.9% of the time they are a fucking scourge. they steal, lie, destroy, threaten, and basically are animals.

and i am not some hick that hates cause my daddy did, i learned my hate through personal experience that has been reinforced OVER and OVER again.

the only thing that keeps me from feeling like a complete loser on this subject is that i try not to judge by group, but by the individual.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Will chop you good.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:40 AM       
Besides, it's not like the guy was fired. He resigned. See, it doesn't matter to me whether he works for ESPN or not. He's still got his idiotic radio show where he can spew his bullshit. And this is probably what he'll talk about for the next week. I'm interested to hear his side of it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:41 AM       
His idiotic radio show has been around for 15 years. People must like it.

And george... wow. If you are telling the truth, I have to admit you are brave to admit your feelings. I think they are dispicable, but I'll honor your honesty.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:44 AM       
Come on George...so white people never steal, lie etc?? Its not that hard to make the connection that any minority who have had to deal with instututionalised racism and poverty for so long are going to be in a bad way and indulging in criminal behaviour.

There is a large section of my hometown that has a specific community of people in it who are responsible for lots of the crime that goes on here. And guess what? They are almost exclusively white. Its the shit, poverty ridden conditions they live in and the fact that they are working class and as such do not have the same opportunities for jobs and education that made them that way. If I found the majority of them had dark hair, would that mean dark haired people are more likely to cause crime??