Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:59 AM       
I uploaded it to whore's ftp a while ago, so it's free, and you're unwilling to try it?

Some people...

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:10 PM       
Wow, it's been too long.

I'm just bumping this for now, so I can find it later. I just have two "chapters" in Chrono Trigger left, along with all the sidequests. However, I'm not sure if I'll replay the game to get the other endings, because I just don't like this game. :/
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:10 PM       
If any of you guys still have that free Fallout thingy, how's about sending it my way...;(

budgetjiggalo is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:42 PM       
I noticed at the top of you mentioned Legend of Mana as a possiblity to buy, I wouldn't recommend it, it sucks, especially compared to the other games in the series.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:54 PM       
Yeah, I know it's not the best, but it was just something on a list. Never had any intention to run out and play it.

I can't believe it took me this long to get so close to beating CT. I don't care what any of you say; It's overhyped. It's a cross between Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana, but with half the story. The time-travelling thing is a plot device, doing whatever the makers wanted it to in order to cover up any need for a better story. And the game, while taking me so many months to get through, is short.

Since the PSX version has a New Game + mode after beating it, you can go back and play through with your characters and equipment from your last game, making it easy to run through and get all the endings. But I'm just not sure if I wanna play this game any more than I "have" to.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:05 PM       
The SNES version had that game+ version feature as well.

I liked Chrono Trigger for the follwing reasons:

1. Character development. It was good. Frog's/Magus' story in particular.
2. The Music. I'm pretty sure its sold the most video game soundtracks in history.
3. The Visuals. They seemed impressive to me at the time (1995) and now they hold nostalgic value. I also like Akira Toriyama's style. Alot.

I'll admit the plot isn't absolutely spectacular but it wasn't sub-par to say the least. Each time period was linked to Lavos in some way, many in very interesing ways. Perhaps you were too eager to simply beat it rather than to enjoy it? I just can't imagine someone really disliking CT. :/
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:25 PM       
Nah, I tried to give it a fair chance. But I just don't see much development. It's like a series of short stories in the form of time periods, linked together by a common threat throughout all time. It's an interesting concept, sure. But it just wasn't executed all that well.

The worlds are small, and the NPCs lacking. Sure, you're supoosed to take all the periods as being one big world, but it gets annoying having to jump through time over and over, rather than flying around one big world.

To be honest, I just think the main problem is they made it so small, so you could run through and get all the endings. And that just makes it less enjoyable, because so much could have been added, but at the risk of making it longer.

And I hate the battle system. Selective/forced battles that require you to exit the screen and come back is an OK concept. But like everything else, there's not enough of it. You can go through and fight like 4 battles on a screen, and then you have to leave and come back to reset the monsters. It gets tedious when you're trying to upgrade your characters or get money.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:06 PM       
E.V.O.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 01:52 AM       
James, if you don't want to waste time getting the Chrono Trigger endings, there are gameshark codes to unlock them on the PSX game and you can also find them in .mov or .mpg format somewhere online.

That said, Chrono Trigger remains my all-time favorite game of any genre. It doesn't have a chance of being unseated until I finish Xenogears and Xenosaga. I think Yasunori Mitsuda is an essential ingredient in making me really love an RPG. Until some other fantastic composer comes out of the woodwork (sorry, Mr. Uematsu, just not my style..) or Tsuyoshi Sekito gets in on a better project than Brave Fencer Musashi.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:30 AM       
Chrono Trigger is a awesome game. One of the most expensive SNES game back then too. Damn, cost me like $80 for it. It was amazing for its time. You gotta take things in perspective. Maybe you aren't as impressed because you are 8 years late... Slacker. Those were some of the best gaming years back then and Square was on top of its game. Just a year earlier we got treated to FFVI.

I haven't played it for the PSX cause I don't see why I would want to other than the anime intro, etc. Play it on the SNES for the true experience.

I enjoyed the battles, it was a change of pace from the usual setup. Sure it got tedious to come in and out but it wasn't any more tedious then just running around for a random battle.

There were plenty of cool characters (and NPCs) and the dialogue was very well done.

New Game + was a big suprise back then too. Hadn't really seen anything like that.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:14 PM       
Nah, I was even later with many other games, and enjoyed them very much.

That could just say that Chrono did not survive the test of time. I just felt that it didn't have enough of what an RPG should have. And the time thing is a novelty that gets tedious.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:37 AM       
The game is a lot worse if you know all the main characters get killed before the next shitty game by a big kitty.

Shoeless joe is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:13 PM       
If you want to try some good RPGs, i suggest Live a Live and Tales of Phantasia, 2 games that were never released here but were fully translated by dedicated fan groups.

Also try the Lunar: silver Story game on the PS1. A great game with a decent battle system (everyone fights!) , and some great humor (where else can u find references to IU's?). True the plot was cheesy at times but the funny parts hold it all together.

As for Crono Cross, I fucking hate the battle system!! Not only did it keep kick ass double and triple techs to a minimum (to many characters ) but it had it that magic can be allocated to any one, thus making the characters interchangable and unneccesary. It's kinda like the materia system in FF7, as you throw any character into the mix without any thought to strategy. Kinda makes me wish i had a chainsaw right now...
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:52 AM       
Well, it only took 5-6 months, but I finally beat Final Fantasy 5. Unless you're a diehard FF fan, skip this one.

The story is thin, relying on the same theme of crystals as all the ones before it. The villain is forgetable, used simply to push the story along at certain points. He never really comes off as being worth your time. The only distinguishing feature is the Job System, but that just leads to FAR too much random battles for my taste. Character building and game/story progression should have a balance between them.

With FFV, let's say you need all your characters to have a certain skill in order to beat an upcoming boss. Let's say that skill is obtained by leveling up your Ninja class a level, and to do that takes 400AP. Now, if the most you can get per battle is 4AP, if you're lucky, that's a lot of time fighting battle after battle. I eventually dreaded the thought of playing this game, because I wasn't getting anywhere. It was just hours upon hours of walking across the same piece of map, leveling up my classes so that my characters would be prepared for the next one or two parts that progress the actual game.

Now, I'm moving on to Dark Cloud 2. If you've never looked into the Dark Cloud games, do yourself a favor and get the first game while you still can. It's only $20. Then get Dark Cloud 2.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 01:12 PM       
This is why I start cheating if an RPG's gameplay doesn't keep me interested after the first couple of hours. I beat FFIV in one sitting because I got bored pretty quick and used a Game Genie just to get through the rest of the game for the story.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:29 PM       
I couldn't beat the last boss in 5, cuz I got to the very end and mastered nearly every class because the enemies only give you job points and not experience, so I had every job mastered but my levels were low suxk
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:29 PM       
Wild Arms 2 sucks balls. i hated that game, sold it before i even finished it. ff8 is my favorite of all rpgs. the battle system is THE SHIT. fft is also good. i'm going through ff6 right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.

JerkFromGermany is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:38 AM       
FF1 - Nice.
FF2 - Strange.
FF3 - Great.
FF4 -Great.
FF5 -Good.
FF6 -
FF7 - Great
FF8 - Hate.
FF9 - Hmm....6/10 Points
FF10 - Die.

Secert of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound are my favs.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM       
Quote:
FF6 -
Boo to you. Your FF list is useless.

Flynn is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM       
Play Dragon Warrior IV. It's arguably the best game ever made for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game is so large it should take you about 100 hours to beat. Not bad for a 8-bit Nintendo game. If you've got time, get Dragon Warriors V and VI also. They were both released exclusively in Japan, but versions translated to English can be found fairly easily on the net.

-"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"

-Conan the Barbarian
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:44 PM       
It takes you a hundred hours if you suck. DQIV/DWIV is a awesome game though. Seperated by chapters and then all put together during the last chapter where your character finally comes into play.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Play Dragon Warrior IV. It's arguably the best game ever made for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game is so large it should take you about 100 hours to beat. Not bad for a 8-bit Nintendo game. If you've got time, get Dragon Warriors V and VI also. They were both released exclusively in Japan, but versions translated to English can be found fairly easily on the net.
If you go back and look, you'll see that I am never playing another Dragon Warrior game.

Anyway, I started Dark Cloud 2. Really good so far. A lot of the problems with the first game (repetition, weapons breaking, useless characters, etc) have been dealt with, and the story is a lot more evident. You actually feel like there's a point to keep playing. I haven't gotten to the georama part of the game yet (rebuilding towns), but I just got the camera that you use to get ideas and create new items. It's really fun so far, and all the new things added give you a lot to strive for.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM       
I beat Ys III: Wanderers from Ys again.

slain is probably a spambot
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:57 AM       
I remember dragon warrior 7, there werent any battles until like the second disc or something like that.. i played it until i forgot to save like 15 hours after my last save point :/ so i havent finished it, i've heard good things though and its a VERY long game I'll try to borrow it again so i can add that to my list
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:55 AM       
Have I talked about how great Return to Zork is in this thread yet?