Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:40 PM        Royal Navy officially recognizes "devil worship"
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...hip/index.html

==========
LONDON, England (CNN) -- A devil-worshipping sailor in the Royal Navy has become the first registered Satanist in the British Armed Forces.

Chris Cranmer, 24, a technician serving on the Type 22 frigate Cumberland, has been officially recognized as a Satanist by the ship's captain.

That allows him to perform satanic rituals aboard and permits him to have a non-Christian Church of Satan funeral should he be killed in action.

A spokesman for Britain's Ministry of Defence told CNN Sunday that it had a duty to allow members of the forces to practice their religion.

He added that the MoD was an "equal opportunities employer" which did not stop anyone having their own religious values.

"The Royal Navy allows this kind of approach because it is clearly in line with current regulations. We are not aware of any other individuals who want to be registered as Satanists."

Cranmer, 24, who comes from Edinburgh, Scotland, is now lobbying the Ministry of Defence to make Satanism a registered religion in the Armed Forces, says Britain's Sunday Telegraph.

He says he wants Satanists to be able to join the military without "fear of marginalisation and the necessity to put up with Christian dogma."

The defense ministry told CNN that Cranmer went to his commanding officer with a request to practice his beliefs on board his ship and, after consultation with the ship's chaplain, this was granted.

The decision was at the discretion of the captain, the MoD, said, and was on the basis that it did not impinge on the operational effectiveness, safety or security of the ship, or the well-being of colleagues.
Tour of duty

Cranmer, who has been aboard the Cumberland's tour of duty in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf since April, said that being registered as a Satanist gave him "the freedom of religion I wanted despite its controversial nature".

Cranmer, who is single, has been in the Royal Navy for four years and was promoted leading hand -- the naval equivalent of corporal -- in July last year.

He told the newspaper that he realized he was a Satanist nine years ago when he "stumbled across" The Satanic Bible by American 'Black Pope' Anton Szandor LaVey. "I then read more and came to realize I'd always been a Satanist, just simply never knew."

He added that he had been "warmly congratulated" by his friends and family for becoming the Armed Forces' first Satanist but did not feel that the war in Iraq was "the Devil's work."

"From a military perspective, I believe in vengeance. I don't consider Satan to be an intelligently external force in my life; instead I consider it an empowering internal force.

"If I were asked if I were evil, I would say yes -- by virtue of the common definition. However, if you asked my family and friends you would hear a resounding 'no'. I get a massive amount from my career."
Satanic rules

The Church of Satan was established in San Francisco in 1966 and LaVey was its high priest until his death in 1997.

Members of the church, which rejects Christian ideas of God and the Devil, follow 11 "Satanic Rules of the Earth."

The belief system has been condemned as a cult by some religious groups and at least one opposition politician expressed dismay after Cranmer won permission to practice Satanism aboard a Royal Navy ship.

"I am utterly shocked by this," Conservative parliamentarian Anne Widdecombe told Reuters.

"Satanism is wrong. Obviously the private beliefs of individuals anywhere including the armed forces are their own affair but I hope it doesn't spread," she said.

==========

Kind of amusing how they put the only misinformation in the article right in the headline AND the URL.

If anyone cares about trivia, Satanism has been recognized in the US military since the early 70s, except most find it a wise choice to simply check 'atheist' when they enlist.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:10 AM       
Good idea. You really want to be stuck out at sea on a ship filled with a combination of devout Christians and guys who don't like anyone that tries to stand out. Who are mostly big and muscular. And have access to toilets that can fit your head.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM       
My thoughts exactly.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM       
I'm sure Satanists everywhere would be rejoicing at this news if they were at all capable of feeling emotions.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM       
The United States has been allowing Satanists into the army since the sixties... :/
Burger Lord is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:03 PM       
What's a satanist funeral like? was mentioned in the article.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 03:41 PM       
It's like a Norse funeral, but only the wife gets burned.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:57 PM       
And if the deceased is unmarried, they search the area for the nearest virgin and use her instead.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Lord
What's a satanist funeral like? was mentioned in the article.
it's like a christian burial, except the corpse is naked and is anally abused by all funeral attendees....then they all eat Boo Berry cereal....
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:03 AM       
ITS LIKE A <insert "Humorous" cliches here>

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM       
It's like a minimalist joke.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:36 PM       
It's like Jacques Derrida dying.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:29 PM       
it's like a high school drama club party.
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM       
HAHA! That guy is an (online) friend of mine! I thought he was a dork at first for talking about being a Satanist, but he's actually a very nice guy and very smart.

Good for him.