Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM        The anti-utilitarian nature of economic equality.
I thought about this earlier, so I thought I might share my view.

The logic is simple: what matters is not material wealth, but pleasure derived through life.

Different people have different opinions on what is pleasureable. Some enjoy having time off work to spend spend time with family, etc. Others have a work-a-holic attitude and would rather maximize utility out of material objects.

What this means is obvious. Economic equality would necessarily lead to inequal pleasure, since some humans derive more pleasure from material wealth than others. Hence, equality of pleasure is nonexistant.

The true way to achieve equality would be to distribute material wealth according to each individual's material pleasure rate, modified for the pleasure rate derived from nonmaterial experiences. As this would be horribly impractical, if not impossible, there is only one thing to have: capitalism, which modifies pleasure ratios according to merit within the market system.