Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

MK IV is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:30 PM        Ok so your presidents on a trip here...
Quote:
THE GUARDIAN , LONDON
Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003,Page 7

In public, the British government says it is delighted George Bush is visiting Britain next week. Tony Blair encapsulated this in a speech on Monday last week when he said: "I believe this is exactly the right time for him to come."

In the corridors of No 10 Downing Street, the Prime Minister's office, a more realistic assessment can be heard. One insider, contemplating the visit, expressed exasperation: "That man seems to cause us no end of trouble, doesn't he?"

The list of issues is long -- from the Kyoto pollution agreement through to Guantanamo and Iraq -- and now added to it is the row over steel tariffs. At a Whitehall briefing it was not Iraq that topped the list of issues on the urgent agenda for the president and prime minister but the fate of British steelworkers. "A trade war will help nobody," an official said.

Nor will the protests during the presidential visit help Blair or Bush. The trip has turned into one that no one wants, despite what Bush said on Sunday. He claimed he was not upset about the prospect of protesters because "freedom is a beautiful thing." Speaking on British TV, he said: "So Laura and I are really looking forward to coming."

That does not square with what US officials, like their counterparts in Whitehall, are saying. One official described it as the trip from hell.

When preparations were being made months ago the expectation in Washington had been that it would be a victory trip, with Iraq relatively stable and its elusive weapons of mass destruction unearthed. What had not been anticipated was the present chaos and mounting death toll.

Bush is to fly into London tonight for the first state visit since President Woodrow Wilson in 1918, whose path was strewn with roses by a people grateful for his help during the war.

There will be no such public welcome for Bush, and protesters will dog his path until he leaves on Friday.

TV pictures of Bush with the Queen were supposed to provide useful footage for a president seeking re-election next year.

But US officials know that any royal benefit will be offset by damaging images of protests.

The visit also undoes the efforts of Blair to switch the agenda to domestic issues. Since the Hutton inquiry finished in September, the prime minister has gone out of his way to reduce his involvement in foreign affairs. But the image this week will be a revival of Blair as Bush's poodle. Such is the sensitivity on the British side over this that officials advised against an innocent ceremony in which Bush was to have handed over a Congressional gold medal awarded to Blair in July.

Since World War II, British prime ministers have cultivated US presidents. Blair and Bill Clinton have been among the closest. But Bush has become more of a foreign policy soul mate for a prime minister with a Gladstonian zeal for humanitarian intervention than Clinton ever was. The question is whether Blair wants to retain the relationship or whether it would be expedient to put some distance between himself and Bush once this week is over.

It is also a question being asked on the other side of the Atlantic by those advisers who have not forgiven Blair for what they see as leading the US into the UN debacle over Iraq.

There is no shortage of existing irritants in the transatlantic relationship. British military officers privately complain that US heavy-handedness in Iraq is hurting the coalition's attempts to get a grip on security. Attempts by the attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, to win special treatment for nine Britons detained without charge at Guantanamo Bay have met stern resistance from the Pentagon. Bush's tariffs on European steel have been ruled illegal by the WTO. Meanwhile, the US is deeply suspicious of European moves towards a common defense policy forum.

Blair has told advisers that he believes Bush is misunderstood by the British public, and blames the British media for treating the US president in a condescending fashion. He hopes that Bush's exposure to the public during his visit will help overcome that.

The US administration seems determined to spare Blair any embarrassment by remaining optimistically vague on steel, European defense policy and the other principal points of disagreement.

The issue that US officials say will be at the center of bilateral discussions will be Israel and Palestine. In the run-up to the war with Iraq, Blair tried to exploit his relationship with Bush by securing a promise that the president would use his powers to try to resolve the Israel-Palestine question. British officials over the past few months have made little attempt to hide their disappointment that Bush, having supported the internationally backed "road map" to peace in the Middle East, made no serious attempt to see it through.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM       
Hubris, the sin of overweening pride. If our President is anything, it's overweening.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:29 PM       
Yeah, he's sure a weener, isn't he?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:37 PM       
Quote:
Blair has told advisers that he believes Bush is misunderstood by the British public, and blames the British media for treating the US president in a condescending fashion. He hopes that Bush's exposure to the public during his visit will help overcome that.
Now there's a ringing endorsement. Bush's approval rating in the U.S. is only slightly higher than Blair's in the UK. :evildoers

Wherever you go, there you are.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:11 PM       
http://www.islamonline.net/English/N...rticle08.shtml

-Describing U.S. President George W. Bush as "the greatest threat to life on his planet", London's Mayor Ken Livingstone on Tuesday, November 18, voiced support for protests against Bush's visit to Britain.

In an interview with the Ecology magazine, Livingstone accused Bush of being "the greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen" adding that his policies "will doom us to extinction", reported Agence France-Presse

Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:23 AM       
As for me, I am counting down the days until the next election. I haven't been following Dean very closely, but they called him an enemy of America on the Rush Limbaugh show, so he may very well end up as the man I vote for.

Couldn't do much worse than the sock puppet president we have now.

MK IV is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:34 AM       
Im counting down the days till the riots start.

Thanks alot Bush !
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:43 AM       
I heard Harold Pinter speaking out against Bush on the radio. It made me happy because Pinter is, to my mind, one of the greatest contemporary writers and has been a huge influence ce on me.

He is not widley read in America because he is a playwrite. His most famous works were written in the 50's and 60's, but for the last 20 years he's been a social activist. He is particularly ardent in his opposition to torture.