Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM        "To Alter or Abolish..."
Almost four years ago (has it really been that long?), about a month and a half before the terrorist attacks, I created a thread called "The Future of our Country". In that thread, I questioned how much of a lifespan our country has left.

I'm a little older and a little wiser. Lately, however, the current left-right polarization has made me sick. Pundits and polititians hurling insults at one another. Corruption at all levels of government, in both of the major parties.

As Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence:

Quote:
"We hold these Truths to be self-evident,that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness-That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government . . .
These days, I'm beginning to really think that the only way to really change things is to start over. I believe as it is, we have outgrown our representative democracy. I'm talking about either instituting a parliamentary system, or perhaps seeing as much of ideology is separated by geography, splitting the country apart. While I realize there's no one best solution, it might be better than what we're doing now.