Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM        Global Warming
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/...3/michaels.pdf

hatezealots is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM       

sometimes i wish we could hold people like you and the cato institute accountable for this drivel. yall think humans arent harming the planet? damn yer pathetic. oh, i forgot, pollution is good for business in this moraless capitalist country.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM       
I suppose Global Warming is bad, but it's minus 50 degrees celcius outside my house! I pray for Global Warming every day.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM       
Yeah, that's kind of the way I see it, too. Fucking -60F wind chill.
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:23 PM       
Yeah, it's probably because of global warming that it's -50 F.

All the chemicals and such probably really fucked up the atmosphere
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM        ROFLMAO
And I've been in tank tops all week.
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:26 PM       
Idiots. Do you really think that global warming making the climate more pleasant is really worth it? Holy fuck. The ecology or ecosystem or biosphere would go absolutely nuts. Also, the ozone hole will get much worse, and everyone will get cancer at 40 because of all the UV radiation.

NUKE THE POLLUTERS, NOT THE WHALES

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:39 PM       
The ozone hole is still over Antarctica, right...gosh, I feel sorry for all those penguins with skin cancer.

Oh, and for that matter, ozone is one of the things that produces the greenhouse effect and reducing the ozone layer will DECREASE global warming. Come on, now.

Finally, the biosphere has been fucked up in the past and has recovered. Dinosaurs went extinct. There were ice ages and lots of stuff died. The ice ages ended and lots more stuff died. Shit happens. The system balances itself.
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM       
Fast facts with the unseen!: The hole in the ozone layer is 20 MILLION SQUARE MILES LARGE.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
The ozone hole is still over Antarctica, right...gosh, I feel sorry for all those penguins with skin cancer.

Oh, and for that matter, ozone is one of the things that produces the greenhouse effect and reducing the ozone layer will DECREASE global warming. Come on, now.

Finally, the biosphere has been fucked up in the past and has recovered. Dinosaurs went extinct. There were ice ages and lots of stuff died. The ice ages ended and lots more stuff died. Shit happens. The system balances itself.
The ozone layer may produce the greenhouse effect, but it also keeps everyone from having to wear 9999 SPF sunscreen 24 hours a day. Reducing the ozone layer is not the solution.

They environment may have recovered in the past, but humans are way different from stuff like meteors and ice ages. Just because the environment eventually recovered from all those past disasters doesn't mean it can recover faster than we can pollute it. The environment can't recover as long as we're polluting willy nilly. If mankind doesn't get its shit together, we all die slow, horrible deaths, and then there won't be anyone around to pollute the planet, then the environment will recover.

Also, people enroaching on animal's territory tends to kill the animals. Those animals are very important links in the food chain. If the food chain falls out of balance, bad shit happens.

When the shit hits the fan and the ozone layer goes kaput, we're fucked unless we do something about it.

-Max Burbank

Methuselah is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:42 PM       
It is cold as a bastard here so you can cram it
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:44 PM       
If you honestly believe that global warming will make the climate pleasant and everyone will live happily ever after, then you lack an understanding of global warming and its effects.

You shove it.

-Max Burbank
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 07:06 PM       
There is no such thing as global warming :/ It isn't getting any warmer here in Canada. The fucking weather man can't even make an accurate weather forcast and I'm suppose to believe a theory of global warming. Polution and things like Volcanic eruptions and exhaust are things that nature takes and evolves and has a self defense just like are immune system. Does the world have a huge cancer spot? Will a huge meteor hit the world? Will Bruce Willis get a hotter girlfriend than Demi Moore?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM       
OAO, were you not reading what I posted? WE ARE POLLUTING FASTER THAN THE ENVIRONMENT CAN RECOVER! Get that through your stupid little 15 yeaqr old head.

-Max Burbank
Mocker
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 07:44 PM       
All I'm reading is a huge pile of ad nasum. If you're going to make statements, you had best back them up.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus
All I'm reading is a huge pile of ad nasum. If you're going to make statements, you had best back them up.
Exactly. Come on, guys, your claims really need well-documented support. Like that one guy who studied the air in London for a little while and determined that the whole atmosphere is cleaner now than it was 500 years ago. Sound research! "Most people" know that. Duh. Do your homework, people.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:15 AM       
I say let it happen and dont be so worried about it. Do you think that mere humans can offset the mechanics of nature and the universe?

This is the next big phase for earth. Just like how it wiped out the dino's millions of years ago which resulted in a whole new evolution of animals... the mammal!! SO whats next? Perhaps the earth is ready for a new upgrade.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:32 AM       
Selfish moment here: if the world is totally fucked, it won't be within my lifetime.

Re: humans being able to ruin nature. Yes. Humans are damn powerful. Go stand next to a skyscraper or watch nuke footage and then tell me humanity doesn't have earth-shaking power. Nothing like us has been seen before on earth.

However, I think it's likely that the world powers will finally take decisive action before the problem reaches a crisis point. From all the studies I've read, global warming, if it is indeed a threat, won't begin to cause real harm for several decades and possibly over a century; global average temperatures have only risen one degree in the last hundred years (some regional averages have actually fallen by a degree or more) and will not be likely to increase by more than a few more in the next hundred. It won't be catastrophic unless we see a rise of over ten degrees, and it is almost universally agreed among researchers that such a thing will take quite a long time - long enough for governments to take their time fixing it and still manage to save the world.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM       
I've no doubt the earth and it's biosphere are capabe of recovering in the blink of a geolical eye.

The problem with the havoc we're sewing right now has to do with us. We are going to make things very bad for humans.

Global warming is about GLOBAL temperatures and averages. As we shove the gulf stream around changing weather patterns, areas of arable land and deserts, disease patterns, fisheries etc., places we push the gulf stream away from are going to get colder. That's been a part of the model for the last two decades.

Again, the earth will adapt and rebalance. Really slowly. We humans live at a much faster pace. For instance, if the water table goes up by a few feet, NYC, Boston, Louisiana and San Francisco will be really, really fucked. If the midwest goes through a period of droubt on the level of the dust bowl, except six times longer, The USA will be really fucked. If infectious diseases south Americans and africans have lots of immunities built up for travel hundreds of miles further north than they ever have in human memory...

well, you get the picture.

But what say we pay attention to some science no one has any arguments with. No one thinks fossil suels are renewable. Everyone knows they are a finite resource. Not becoming the leader in alternative technologies is the height of irresposability.

No one has any idea what to do with Nuclear waste. Everyone agrees it goes on being toxic and dangerous for lifetimes. Not investing heavily in research on what to do about nuclear waste and putting a moratorium on making more until we have some sort of plan is the height of irresponsability.

No one thinks fresh water will be in great enough supply for drinking sanitation and irrigation. Not being the leader in clean water technology is the heigt of irresponsability.

Heavy investment with diversification in areas of energy that are either dead ends or dangerously counterproductive seems like a bad strategy.
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
Exactly. Come on, guys, your claims really need well-documented support. Like that one guy who studied the air in London for a little while and determined that the whole atmosphere is cleaner now than it was 500 years ago. Sound research! "Most people" know that. Duh. Do your homework, people.
That wasn't the only thing he studied. Read the book.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:22 PM        Re: Global Warming
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Do you know anything about any environmental issue besides global warming?
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:23 PM       
Yes, but global warming seems to be what everyone is scared of these days.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:27 PM       
Hows the ruined Ozone where you live OAO? I got sun burnt today oyu fuck
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:30 PM       
Umm... the ozone hole is only one factor in global warming. Carbon Dioxide emissions producing a greenhouse effect is the biggest worry.
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:37 PM       
Don't believe everything you see on the Discovery channel.