Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:07 PM        Oak Island
I used to study this at length when I was in my Templars craze, and today on History International I caught some of a new special on it.

Basically, in Nova Scotia there's a hole upon which happened a young lad about two hundred years ago. It was clearly man-made, so he figured he'd dig it deeper to see where it went. As it turns out, the deeper he dug the more quickly it would fill with ocean water. When some heavily financed engineers came in to dig it up, they discovered that it was being filled from the ocean by a system of underground channels. Probing it with a drill, some people discovered gold filaments, 17th century parchment, and tons of mercury. So, everybody assumed that someone--who cares who--buried a shitload of treasure under the hole and set up a remarkably elaborate system to insure that it would never be dug up. Millions of dollars and half a dozen lives have been wasted trying to figure out what's in the pit, and to date nobody's succeeded.

There's a story linking the money pit to the Templars, which I love since they were badass. However, there's also stories claiming its creation to be the doing of Captain Kidd, or even Francis Bacon. Modern Baconians, in fact, think that his followers hid in the pit evidence that he wrote Shakespeare's works.

So yeah, tons of conspiracy theories, mostly BS of course. But still lots of fun.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM       
I have heard that there is a group that is finally going to attempt to lay the mysteries to rest and they have begun assembling a team of engineers. They will place metal walls around the hole in an attempt to block the sea water, and apparently have a very, very large budget.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:26 PM       
At the bottom of the hole a parchment with the words:

I O U
One treasure chest

-Quee Quay
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 11:00 PM       
I read a huge article about that in rolling stone, didn't they entire beach basically get destroyed?