Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM       
I'm downloading Harvestman right now. By the description it looks pretty good.

I like this idea. I have a bunch of albums and such myself that I'd post a list of, but I'm not on my own computer right now. Probably later today.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM       
Harvestman is awsome. Im not to sure about the bagpipes because I don't really like bagpipes anyway but the rest of the album is great.

As I keep saying - I will upload something soon
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM       
WHITEHOUSE - ASCETICISTS 2006

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...327S2JG3RH5JMH

i can't imagine anyone who appreciates emotional extremity in music not liking this. it's brutal, explicit, dehumanizing, sounds fucking amazing, and you have a dictatorial william bennet shouting at you over that noise and those drums for 29 minutes.

IT'S FUCKING GREAT.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM       
It almost reminds me of speedcore - you know there is music there somewhere but it is vailed behind a wall of noise.

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM        re:
where's everyone else's YSI's? my computer that i use for downloading is currently infected with a virus and i'm too busy/lazy to fix it until my work-week is over so that's why i've been out lately. i guess i could put some stuff on this computer and YSI if i get the chance today.
either way, i'm disappointed in the lack of action lately!
Mocker
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM       
I might upload Electro Hippies later tonight if I get the chance. Hardcore band Jeff Walker was in pre-Carcass...
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:12 AM       
h##p://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18LL8RQSEX7DH01VOYJYP8YV5J

HIS DIVINE GRACE - DIE SCHLANGENKOENIGIN

"HDG's second LP on HR! is a dark and gloomy journey into Ernst Jünger's Marina. "Die Schlangenkönigin" is the heroic defeatism of the Marble Cliffs put to ten ambient hymns of conscious desolation and proud despair. More accessible and emotional than his other releases." - treue um treue

That Whitehouse album is crushing. I'd only heard wriggle off birdseed and was meaning to get more. They must be something to see live.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:02 PM        re:
Charalambides - Joy Shapes

h!!p://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10F14YY90196S3OJYOOEKMMSQ4

"What is it about the Charalambides that is so affecting? It's nearly impossible to pin down, something that's more conceptual than tangible. Every time I put one of their records on, I always get drawn in and, before I know it, it's an hour later and the record is over. Tom and Christina Carter show that the chemistry married couples often have can translate brilliantly to artistic expression. I don't know them personally, but just listening to how they play off each other musically and how they seem to understand the other's every move, it's a safe bet to say they were meant for each other. Let me not discount new member Heather Leigh Murray's contributions, either. This trio just continues to impress me more and more.
The highlight of "Joy Shapes" is the impact that Christina's voice leaves on the listener. She unleashes her pipes on this record in a way I've never heard. It's like a beacon of light shining through a dense foggy maze that their music embodies. Each strained note calls you closer to this wailing siren, except that she does not mean you harm. On the 22 minute epic, "Here, Not Here," she sounds empowered. She opens up over these skeletal arrangements, like a ghost whose soul has finally been freed. I can't stress how moving and unbelievable this is. And she never lets up, either. Just when it sounds like she's quieting down and taking a breath, these reverb-laced sheets of her voice come pouring back over the top of the mix. This entire track has the feel of a battered, decrepit ship sailing through dark, jagged cliffs shrouded in mist. Danger lurks around every corner, but this voice encapsulates everything and is leading the vessel to safety. Every time the track ends, I am sad. I love it when a song does that to me.
Musically, this is familiar territory for Charalambides. The Carters' arrangements have always flirted with complexity while staying firmly grounded in minimalism. It's as if the music is emaciated. The intricacy is often below the surface, like underground aquifers providing life to everything that surrounds them. On the title track, Christina Carter's voice is once again the centerpiece. As she moans, "We remembered and smiled when we met," there is something happening that is not only heartbreaking, but also strangely erotic. It's this undercurrent that makes Charalambides so damn good. Listening to this, I'm being stretched in two directions. I want to scream out, "I can't take it! You're tearing me apart!" It's no use, though. I feel like I'm hearing somebody beautifully self-destruct. Laying naked on a sheetless bed, she tries freeing herself of these demons she's been carrying for years. It's of no use, though: they have already won. A half-empty bottle of sleeping pills is spilled on the hardwood floor as she writhes and thrashes, waiting for the poison to take hold. The music is the perfect depiction of the emptiness inside. Never have I heard such an impassioned demise. Fuck, this is brilliant.
Halfway through this album, I feel worn out. It's an exhausting listen. Not because it's bad or difficult in any way, but it is so rife with emotion that as the Charalambides explore their inner demons, you are forced to examine your own. Keep that in mind before pressing play, because if you're not up for the task, it's probably best to wait and listen to this another time. Charalambides has an old soul. Like the Carpathian Mountains in Francis Ford Coppola’s version of Dracula, there is something mystifying and enchanting while at the same time completely terrifying. Your curiosity can't be helped. It must journey deep into the heart of this place and find out why, exactly, it is what it is. This is what "Joy Shapes" does. It's the most exposed I've heard a band in a long time. I've also never heard a band so comfortable in such a state. It's as if they're saying, "Yes, this is who we are. This is why we are. What the fuck is it to you?" There's a very vague '70s punk spirit here. "We do what we do and don't care what anyone thinks." Who am I to argue? The results speak for themselves.
Fans of their previous work will probably wet themselves when they first hear "Joy Shapes." This takes their already-perfected modus operandi and turns it up to 11. As they go spelunking through their collective psyche, they seem to find a place where each member is comfortable. Hope reigns supreme and blasts through the speakers on the hopeful closer, "Voice for You." If there was ever an appropriately-named song, it is this one. "Joy Shapes" follows the Charalambides on the journey to explain to themselves what they are all about. While the distorted, screaming electric guitar soars toward the heavens as "Voice for You" comes to a close, it is clear this band has it figured it out. It is obvious they have finally found their voice." - Brad Rose

"Joy Shapes, pregnant with an intense stasis and nocturnal elegance, is Charalambides’ most intimate offering yet. Five songs hedge a path, which shall take seventy-five minutes to pass through, yet demand frequent visits before unveiling all of its many secrets.
Surrounded by Joy Shapes undulating fields, the sight which most arrests are the dynamic and harmonic ranges being battered by Christina Carter’s jarring alto—her elliptical lyrics and insatiable cries being recorded in what Tom Carter could only describe as a “lost evening”. On “Here Not Here”, wordless vocal tone clusters seep out through skeletal arrangements of lap steel, bells, and wood wand, whilst moaning chimes teeter awkwardly, barely keeping balance, their staggering shifts staining the air with uneasiness. Though still rather timid, “Joy Shapes” is the most approachable progeny Charalambides have spawned in some time. Carter exhales a melancholy lullaby with guitar textures slumbering in a soft bed of resonant drones. As the piece sallies on, Tom Carter’s guitar grapples with Murray’s psaltery like a river rolls pebbles. “Natural Night”, meanwhile, adds new colour with brittle chimes crackling like crushed glass, gradually bleeding into dissonance. Carter’s voice looms in the shadows here, adding dimension and tonal possibility. After thirteen minutes of harsh chimes and sharp tones running the length of each other like knives being sharpened, a meek coda of whistling bells feels like crawling into a melodic duvet.
Each of these long, winding musical passages marry disciplined understatement to the sense of a disturbingly naked reality, indeed, they float about their guests like the ghost of Hamlet’s father: a gloomy phantom that communicates without speaking. “Voice For You”, is a reedy lap steel wandering through a labyrinth of long squealing tones, with gritty electric guitar reverberating overhead like a rock waiting to fall. Amid Carter’s a cappella, which shifts into a poignant banshee wail, lovely chance occurrences of displacement and empty space are stumbled upon and lend the proceedings an air of spontaneity.
Carter’s voice, which sounds like an instrument being tortured, is slowly treated so that it washes into the whirling tones and cacophonic scrapes which carry the album to its end.
If there is something alien about Joy Shapes it is not in the face of the otherworldly, but directly in the face of this world—the mood similar to the existentialism of Sartre or Camus, as they stumble before the alien image of what they are. A milestone in the quest for insightful rapprochement between composition and improvisation, Joy Shapes is an incredibly opulent and worryingly irresistible album indeed." -Max Schaefer

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM        re:
Fires Were Shot - Solace

h!!p://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1V14BA50WOWOI1OWMRD7JEKXU1

"Fires Were Shot are an experimental guitar duo hailing from Austin, Texas. At once contemplative, haunting and disheveled, the band's second release, Solace, continues to set for th the abyssal, effected acoustic guitar sounds found on their debut release, Form the Hearth, self-released on the band's own Its Only Me imprint in 1998. Solace is a collection of complex emotions, warm guitar tones, and sculpted noise. Each genre-defying song contains image-evoking soundscapes, guitar melodies, and has the gritty quality of spontaneous performance. This is not drone, electronic, or ambient; it is very analog, very experimental, and extremely cinematic, evoking the arid geography of the band's southwest Texas home. Featuring the talents of guitarists John Wilkins and Clay Walton, Fires Were Shot have been compared to everyone from Windy and Carl to Roy Montgomery and most appropriately, Austin neighbors Stars of the Lid." -forcedexposure.com

"Drone. Strictly speaking, it's a musical figure, a vaguely defined chunk of vocabulary that musicians use to fill up their minutes. Then again, so is a riff, but the two are usually in different spheres -- one quasi-religious, the other material, sometimes separated by as much as an echo/delay pedal or an e-bow. Long, sustained tones make for a trance-like listening experience and dry riffage makes you pump your fists. If you're doubting any part of this equation, especially that first part, then FiRES WERE SHOT have a record for you.
Solace is much more than a collection of long, sustained tones, and usually a step sideways from indie acts who use the template to help listeners bliss out (like Windy and Carl) or to send them into an agitated trance (like Stars of the Lid, who share FiRES WERE SHOT's hometown of Austin, Texas). For starters, almost all of the tracks here (with the notable exception of the nineteen-minute, loop-based wanderer "Ocean M31") come in under three minutes, which gives FiRES WERE SHOT exactly enough time to spin their delicate web of guitar figures, constantly, carefully shifting overtones and other unearthly sounds before the mellowness of it all sends you off to an astral plane (in other words, to sleep). Each track is like a brief look at the sky -- filled with all sorts of different textures, constantly mutating, beautiful without pushing any agendas, sporting a surprise shape or color every once in a while. "Aside Herself" starts the record off with a modest pre-dawn meditation, and "Quickbeam" thickens things up with a scraped guitar string and the buzzing sound of a dozen violins milking that sweet spot between pitches and overtones of pitches, played by eternal musicians Tony Conrad and La Monte Young. FiRES WERE SHOT are careful not to hypnotize themselves out of existence, though -- "Eierie" breaks the reverie with some muted post-industrial tape noise -- then more chiming guitars enter the mix. Tracks like "Sailene" and "Hollow" are just as specific about the sorts of textures they'll use, and just as precariously balanced between notes and noises, often stretching the former out into the latter with washes of carefully sculpted static and distortion.
If a lot of guitars playing the same chord under a wash of reverb isn't enough to get your juices flowing, then Solace's carefully designed world of sound, which straddles the traditionally pretty and the engagingly abstract, might be enough to perk up your ears. Fortunately, the length of its songs and the comparative formal punch each one packs will let you appreciate the beauty before you doze off." -Matt Pierce
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM       
I really like the 'Fires where shot' album. It's similarly ambient to the Harvestman but without with bagpipe tacks, which annoyed me.
Great to listen to at night.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:50 PM        re:
i've been uploading lots of black metal for some homies at another board. here they are... grab 'em fast!

eikenskaden - the last dance

hxxp://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3D9D4WM82TJRZ3JH5FHTBTUTUI

"We were totally bowled over by the brilliance of the first album by Eikenskaden (reviewed in issue #9), the so-called side project of Mystic Forest's Stéfan Kozak. Arty and weird and stunningly original, we looked forward to more, and more we have received.

The Last Dance is creativity within what is accepted in the black metal spectrum. Uniquely caustic and impassionate, the blistering fuzz of the fucked production is sliced through by clean piano melodies. As ever, the feeling of angst and sadness are the main players, be it during the manic, melodic, wall-of-noise riffs backed by relentless drumming to the more relaxed, piano segments with spoken parts that remind us of a scene in a French movie where the main character is depressed and reflecting on his life and loves.

Some relatively minor but important stylistic changes have been made, the most prominent of which are the vocals. For one, it seems that someone has really been enjoying De Misteriis Dom Sathanas lately. The Last Dance's vocals have also been greatly turned down in a way that make them stick to the melodies from the guitars and bass, making them more of a layer in the maelstrom of sound rather than an element to ride above it all. The constant explosions caused by the mere playing of a guitar string or the hitting of any part of the drum kit found on the first record have also been turned down, which could be considered as a good or bad thing.

While it's tough to say that The Last Dance is better than The Black Laments Symphony (the first record), it is certainly on par. The Black Laments… is more experimental and bizarre, but in a way that turns out is all too similar to the first two works of Mystic Forest's. As promised in the interview with Kozak in issue #12, Eikenskaden is beginning to move in a separate direction from Mystic Forest (I'll give you an advance tip to tell you that the next, yet unreleased Eikenskaden's style is even more removed from the main band). Be sure to get this and anything else by this one-of-a-kind French genius." -Roberto Martinelli

nokturnal mortum - nechrist

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19M1KDWPMA9LT074BKJYHHZHR7

"Imagine the Charlie Daniels Band jammin' with Emperor. Or rather, playing at the same time in adjoining practice rooms -- out in the forest. The ancient forests of the Ukraine, to be precise. That's where Nokturnal Mortum hail from. This is their third album. You may remember the big fuss we made over the amazing Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra disc last year? Well, Mr. Varggoth is the main guy in this band Nokturnal Mortum. With "NeChrist", he and his comrades have created a unique sound, one that combines a raw, roaring black metal attack with the pipes and fiddles and "yee-haws" of folk/country music, Ukrainian style. And, to make us AQ-ers enjoy this EVEN MORE, all of a sudden all the music will stop and the middle part of a track will be occupied by the croaking of frogs! And you know we like frogs and the noises they make. Similarily, the final song on the disc is preceded by 78 short (3 sec.) tracks of twittering birdsounds and forest ambience. Therefore, if you play the disc in "shuffle" mode, you get lots of cut-up bird calls mixed with the occasional actual fantastic Nokturnal Mortum song! The unanimous AQ black metal pick of this lunar month!! Brilliant. Yee-haw!" -Aquarius Records

drudkh - forgotten legends

hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QZRZ1ZG48HYI3RVIXGHX85SSO

"Hypnotic, majestic and raw are the adjectives I find best suited to describe Drudkh's debut record. This Ukranian act can rightfully claim to have turned the crushing powers of nature into music. Imagine yourself on top of a barren cliff, watching the untameable waves of a tumultuous ocean crushing into it over and over, day after day; feel the ice-cold spray freezing on your face, the vibrations of the impact reaching your feet through the mass of stone until it finally crumbles; and you might get an idea which kind of images songs like "Forests in Fire and Gold" are evoking. In a very general sense, Primordial or Amon Amarth are exploring remotely similar territory while coming from totally different angles, but neither of them has been avoiding the cheese-factor which is often imminent in Pagan or Viking metal so completely and ventured as far into underground black metal and Burzum-esque territory as this Ukranian act. While others feel the need for a certain pompousness in their music and "we're Pagan warriors and come back to take what once was ours" lyrics and imagery, Drudkh's approach is stripped down, droning, hypnotic, and, while relying on proven concepts, original in its execution. With two Hate Forest members in their ranks it's not really surprising that there are certain similarities between the two bands, but overall Drudkh sound less dissonant, more melodic and less sterile, which is also due to a more natural sounding production, especially as far as the drumming is concerned. This is an awesome debut record which is highly recommended not only to fans of obscure underground material but also those who look for emotional, raw and violent music devoid of keyboards and acoustic sections somewhere in between black, Pagan and Viking metal." -Matthias Noll

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:08 PM        re:
bump to remind me to upload some stuff sometime this week.
Mocker
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM       
Here we go:

S.O.B - Leave me alone

http://download.yousendit.com/9893FEF9460827A6

Thrashcore/grind from Japan. These guys did a split with Napalm Death I believe.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM        re:
black boned angel - heavens blaze forth the death of princes
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k2evp8

"This was a limited-edition tour only CD-R made for BBA's European tour and Instal festival appearence during 2005. Comes in the usual Battlecruiser style handmade packaging. One monolithic track coming to an hour in length! The beginning sounds like a riff from Sleep's Jerusalem slowed to a snail's pace and stretched into infinity. 15 minutes in comes those textbook BBA storm detonations that make the whole thing heavy as fuck to the point of speaker damage. Incredible!"

klaus wiese - gnosis
http://www.sendspace.com/file/srsv8x

warm, organic drone with a slightly middle eastern vibe. nigga' used to play with fucking popul vuh!

the tunnel singer - water birth
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3caknc

"You say you admire the simple beauty of the female voice wordlessly singing? You say you're tired of crazy beats and wacky special effects processing? Well then, The Tunnel Singer has something just for you. Water Birth delivers lyric-free, a cappella songs whose amazing resonations naturally occur due to their recording environment, which is where Lee Ellen Shoemaker gets her "stage name"...
Instinctively drawn to especially acoustic areas, she unleashes her voice into these reverberant spaces, singing into cisterns, stairwells, parking garages and of course, tunnels. This disc was recorded live in a 2,000,000-gallon underground water tank ("the Cistern Chapel") which creates a 45-second reverberation as Shoemaker's voice echoes and re-echoes amongst eighty-eight roof support pillars, and returns softly diffused. Subtle textures are added by other locational occurences during recording, including falling grains of sand, water droplets, bird songs and droning planes and insects. The long, enchanting reverberation is natural and has not been electronically enhanced. "

robert opalio - the last night of the angel of glass
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s9ccu6

"Consisting of Roberto’s wordless vocal chants and celestial guitar drones, The Last Night of the Angel of Glass is a sparse recording. It starts off with the vocals dominating the sound as they oscillate and echo off of each other creating a hypnotic effect. More and more layers of dissonant vocals are spliced up and piled on top of each other til about the ten-minute mark when they drop out leaving a throbbing drone.
As this second section of the piece progresses more vocals are added but unlike the first section the dissonance is resolved for a moment and results in the most beautiful section of the piece. For the second half of the piece the vocals are mostly non-existent and in their place there are more dissonant sonar pings over the top of the same pulsing drone that appeared around the ten-minute mark. This pulsing drone eventually fades out and the album closes with the cosmic bleeps of Roberto’s guitar."

and here's some leaks...

Xiu Xiu - The Air Force
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5lm4gi

Thom Yorke - The Eraser
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8kwbmq

Six Organs Of Admittance - The Sun Awakens
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3yjdxj

Johnny Cash - Personal File
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jzv2fe

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM       
spektr - the near death experience
http://www.sendspace.com/file/thcvba

There's a certain strain of black metal, that concerns itself more with black than metal, more with texture than heaviness, more with mood than any sort of musical rules. Those are precisely the sorts of black metal bands that send us spinning. Bands that transcend their genre, or are seemingly oblivious to the fact that they might belong to any genre at all. Such is the case with mysterious black metal outift Spektr. We discovered their debut a couple years back and proudly proclaimed it THE WEIRDEST BLACK METAL RECORD EVER. Since then it's been practically raining bizarre black metal, Furze, Rehtaf Ruo, Dead Reptile Shrine, Hidden, Urfaust, Circle Of Ouroborus, all most definitely black, but each with their own take on what black metal means. And sounds like.
This new Spektr record, however, takes up right where the last one left off, and effortlessly outweirds them all. But their mission is not to be weird. This is not calculated, purposeful, ironic, or in any way untrue to their vision. And it's not that sort of damaged inept weirdness. The music is too dense, and complex and varied and lush and just too impossibly and truly weird to be anything but the musical expression of someone's twisted vision. It's like how truly insane people are the ones who don't realize they're insane. And Spektr are most definitely insane.
The cool thing about Spektr, is that they seem to be some sort of experimental ambient project, with occasional bursts of black metal, as opposed to the other way around. More than half the record seems to be made up of drones, and static and white noise and intercepted transmissions, short wave radio, found sounds, soft subtle rumbles and strange rhythmic interference. When the metal does kick in, it tends towards a seasick lurching midtempo buzz, a lumbering blackened beast, that sort of stumbles and careens wildly out of control, occasionally slipping into a galloping blast, but quickly settling back into a slow sort of lope. Their metal is just off kilter enough to balance their experimental tendencies, and Spektr don't shy away from busting out with a black blast for only a few second before getting back to the drone at hand. And oh the drones! The gloriously twisted ambience. So dense and multilayered. Creaking and crackling, swelling and slithering, often punctuated by industrial pounding, strange rhythms, glitchy hiccups and stutters, but just as often a smoldering warble, a low end dirge of glacial hum and creepy crawly gurgle and whir, voices drift up from the murk, as do strange song fragments and bits of malfunctioning electronics, it's like walking through some black skied wasteland, the ground strewn with all manner of debris, the air thick with smoke and ash, The view fuzzy and indistinct, distant tolling bells, cymbal sizzle that sounds like sprinklers in a moonlit field, all these bits of sound, these ambient fragments, woven together into a truly ominous world of dark sound, the background to a truly bleak and buzzy black metal framework. The more we listen to this, the less -weird- it seems, scary maybe, haunting, harrowing, dark, dreary, creepy, ominous, ghostly, unnerving, and mysterious most certainly, oh okay, and quite a little bit weird too.
A definite contender for our favorite new black metal record!
The disc also includes a video, playable on your computer, for a track not on the cd. And it's a strange one as you might expect. The music is all dark drones, with weirdly jazzy drums way up in the mix, shuffling over a fuzzed out Burzumic riff that sort of ebbs and flows, a fuzzy distorted wave. It never fully kicks in, but it never completely blisses out. It sort of teeters back and forth between dark jazz and glacial black fuzz. It's a little like a black metal post-bop Bohren, sort of. The track shifts partway through and becomes a strange sonic kaleidoscope of creepy orchestra music, garbled ambience and a haunting martial rhythm played on tympani's. The accompanying video is gorgeously grainy, all darkness and shadows, like some rare damaged print of a lost silent horror film, the film stock so degraded that various chunks of light and dark take on ominous shapes, the end result, the visual equivalent of an old crackly record. Totally mesmerizing. -Aquarius Records