Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM        *sploosh*
Well, this morning I did something very stupid. I use my cell phone as my alarm clock, and I also keep a glass of water by my bed in case I get thirsty.

My morning went like this:

*beeepbeeepbeeep*

*fumble for snooze button*

*sploosh* *sounds of bubbles coming up*

I had knocked my cell phone into my glass of water.

Well, much swearing ensued. I immedietely fished it out, found that it had turned itself off (which I hope was something it was meant to do when submerged, not an indication of permanent damage), wiped it dry, took the pieces apart and swabbed the inside with q-tips. Hopefully I haven't destroyed it utterly.

Any tips on how to minimize the damage?
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM       
http://http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

Queen of the Beasts
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM       
Quote:
Oops! We can't find the webpage you're looking for

Here are some suggestions:
  • Search for: www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
  • Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's internet connection.
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that your browser is permitted to access the Web.
Fucking Finland
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM       
What the hell? D:

Google for "Cell phone water damage". The first link you ser should take you to the article "How to save a wet cell phone".

EDIT: Ahh hell, I might as well paste it here.

Quote:
  1. Get it out of the water as soon as possible. The plastic covers on cell phones are fairly tight, but water can enter the phone in a short period of time, perhaps only 20 seconds or less. So grab your phone quickly! If you can't get to it in time, your best bet is to remove the battery while it is still under water. Water helps dissipate heat from shorts that can damage the phone, so most damage occurs when the inside of the phone is merely wet and there is a power source.
  2. Remove the battery. This is one of the most important steps. Don't take time to think about it; electricity and water do not mix. Cutting power to your phone is a crucial first step in saving it. Many circuits inside the phone will survive immersion in water provided they are not attached to a power source when wet.
  3. If you have a GSM carrier, remove your SIM card. Some or all of your valuable contacts (along with other data) could be stored on your SIM. To some people this could be more worth saving than the phone itself. SIM cards survive water damage well, but some of the following steps are unnecessary i.e. don't heat it. Just pat it dry and leave it aside until you need to connect your phone to your cellular network. (This step does not apply to CDMA carriers such as Verizon, Alltel, US Cellular, Sprint, etc.)
  4. Dry your phone. Obviously you need to remove as much of the water as soon as possible, so you can save it from getting into the phone. Shake it out without dropping it, then use a towel or paper towel to gently remove as much of the remaining water as possible. Dry the excess moisture by hand.
  5. Remove any covers and external connectors to open up as many gaps, slots, and crevices in the phone as possible.
  6. Use a vacuum if possible. Do not use a hair dryer (even on a "cold" mode) to dry out the phone, as this may force moisture further into the small components, deep inside the phone. If moisture is driven deeper inside, corrosion and oxidation may result when minerals from liquids are deposited on the circuitry. Using a hairdryer might be a temporary fix, but this will eventually cause component failure inside the phone. Instead, remove all residual moisture by drawing it away with a vacuum cleaner held over the affected areas for up to 20 minutes in each accessible area. This is the fastest method and can completely dry out your phone and get it working in thirty minutes. Be careful not to hold the vacuum too close to the phone, as a vacuum can create static electricity, which is even worse.
  7. Use a substance with a high affinity for water to help draw out moisture. Leave the phone in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice overnight. The rice would absorb any remaining moisture. If available, it is preferable to use desiccant instead. Desiccant will absorb moisture better than rice. It may be found under a brand name such as "Damp Rid" or "Dry Right".
  8. Let the phone sit on absorbent towels, napkin, or other paper. Remember that the goal is to evacuate all the moisture and humidity, not to trap it or add even more. Check the absorbent material every hour for 4 to 6 hours. If moisture is evident, repeat the vacuuming step and desiccant steps.
  9. Test your phone. After you have waited a day or so, make sure everything is clean and dry looking and re-attach the battery to the phone and see if it works. If your phone does not work, try plugging it into its charger without the battery, if this works, you need a new battery. If not, try taking your cell phone to an authorized dealer. Sometimes they can fix it. Don't try to hide the fact that it has been wet. There are internal indicators that prove moisture.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM       
Well, I got a mirror of the page, and I took the advice and swabbed it with alcohol, as I don't trust myself with any of the more delicate techniques. After it air-dries I'll leave it in rice overnight.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 02:10 PM       
None of that works; it's fucked. I ruined two cell phones with water damage.

That was very funny. Well done.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNkeri View Post
Terrible, you messed up copy and paste.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
Fucking Finland
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM       
¿
wobzire is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
He's right. It's fucked for sure. I did basically the same thing except I just spilled the water on to the phone. That was that.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM       
i had a cell that got wet and it stopped working, so i unscrewed the cover and used a blow drier on it and it was fine the next day
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM       
You're lucky. I tried the rice trick - failed miserably. Get on e-bay and buy yourself a new one, or if you have insurance, cash it in - I had a $50 deductible which was appropriate penance for being clumsy.

water + cell phones = disaster.
You may already be there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM       
I bet the old Nokia phones can handle a soaking. These new phones break way to easily.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM       
Well I'll be damned. Its working again. The only thing wrong is that the LCD screen has a discoloration on the bottom, but its otherwise a-okay. Thanks for the help guys.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM       
I had a panasonic cellphone 15 years ago that was permanently attacthed to my car. It cost $3.50 per minute to call somebody.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM       
Anyone else think this thread was going to be about shitting or shitting related surgeries before they opened it?

I guess I don't know you as well as I thought, Janette.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
Anyone else think this thread was going to be about shitting or shitting related surgeries before they opened it?

I guess I don't know you as well as I thought, Janette.
You do know me well. Now I have an excuse to write about my healing body in all its glorious detail.

I changed the original waterproof bandages on two of my keyholes that have been covered for over a week, and under them was a lot of dead skin, which felt great to scratch off, and little horizontal scabs. The scabs came right off and the little grooves that they came out of are healing beautifully. Its amazing, the incisions are so small and they're healing so rapidly. The only keyhole that still hurts is the one on my bellybutton. I can't wait for it to heal so I can have the pleasure of scratching off the dead skin and the healed scab. This is going to be so great.

Last edited by Jeanette X : Aug 31st, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM       
The best way to dry a phone is by covering it in honey and placing it in a pillowcase full of snakes.
Everybody's down
Ploxtrot is probably a spambot
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM       
Quote:
I ruined one that way too
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Robot View Post
The best way to dry a phone is by covering it in honey and placing it in a pillowcase full of snakes.
ur so crazee
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.