Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

anarki3040 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:38 AM        Older Games...
Video games these days are becoming so much a like. I miss hte old days of gaming. When did the video game industry decide to put its head up its ass? Granted, a lot of games these days are fun, but what is more fun than Sonic and Knuckles? Or the original Mario games on NES? Does anyone else feel this way?

Some of my friends and I are gunna try and start up a classic gaming site. Kind of like the Classic Game Reviews here on I-Mockery, but we need more games and systems. So, if anyone out there knows where to get older systems for cheap, or if they want to get rid of theirs, only god knows why, please contact me. Any system or game that we don't have we would be happy to take. We are still in High-school so we dont have a lot of money, but at the very least we will give you credit on the site for sending in.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 01:30 AM       
First, don't spam it on here.

Second, there are already nine million classic gaming sites and all of them are better than yours would probably ever be. It's an idea everyone has and most grow out of.

Professor Cool is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:35 AM       
What's Sonic and Knuckles? Must be before my time.

Snatchtastic is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM        .
Sonic the hedgehog and his fisting lover, Knuckles.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:08 PM       
Games now are not worse than they used to be. Put a kid of 10 in front of a NES and he'll be bored in two minutes. The difference is that you have the association of endless fun with the old games.

Games have become more complex, standards higher and different. It's incredibly hard to make an addicting game nowadays, most games rely on length and toughness to prolong the gaming experience. And the most popular games are nearly always multiplayer.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:02 PM       
That's why I praise Nintendo made games. It is all about the fun factor.

Like FS said, games haven't gotten worse. The gaming industry is bigger now than it was before so we do see alot more garbage but there is still a decent percentage of good games compared to bad games.

I miss some of the old styles though. 2D artwork still hasn't been perfected. At least some games still try. Viewtiful Joe looks cool.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:17 PM       
The only thing I really miss is the good old 2D sidescroller, whether of the platform (Mario), adventure (Metroid), or shooter (Gradius) type. The Gameboy Advance looks like the only place we're going to get more of those, aside from the very rare remake. I would personally rather see another dozen 2D Megamans, Marios (a la the NES/SNES games), Castlevanias, Metroids, and the like on the big consoles than more first person shooters, driving games, SPORTS GAMES, and such. Let's hope Nintendo and its developers appreciate the success of the GBA's great sidescrollers enough to keep putting them out.

Oh, and the challenge. Few recent games can stand up to the challenge of the good ole NES, with its Contra, Battletoads, Castlevania I, TMNT, and similarly brutal titles. Their replay value lay in frustration and the fact that it took you a year to learn all of the enemy patterns and to cope with all of the horribly unfair stuff they did. And thereafter, you could run through them almost without thinking (I eventually managed to beat most of Japanese SMB2 just running to the right and hitting jump at the right times).

If a game wasn't hard in general, it was neverending instead. Levels repeated, getting harder, faster, and more maddening, and the only point was to be able to say "I made it to level 103!" or to boast about your ridiculous high score (*all* the games had points back then, a holdover from the arcades. Even the first Mega Man had points.). No one cares about points anymore, no one takes risks to shoot that one spot on the screen where that cool little yaschischi symbol will show up and give you a huge point bonus but won't make you tougher or faster.

So that's why I still look back fondly on the classics. Not because they were better games, but because they included all these elements that are so unfortunately missing nowadays.

Nerd is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM       
Perndog, have you played Megaman Network Transmission? It plays alot like the old Megaman games and has difficulty similar to the NES's.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:38 PM       
That Yashichi symbol should be an emoticon here.

Professor Cool is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 11:49 PM       
I miss 2D also. YOu can make a pretty long 2D game on a PS2 disc. I like simple yet fun games like Mario and Sonic. I usually get bored with puzzlers and I usually make very bad choices in RPGs.

Of course, it will be the day when i can get that burning out of my eyes from that peice of shit Virtual Boy.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
There will be no Yahtzee emoticon.
Drev is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd
Perndog, have you played Megaman Network Transmission? It plays alot like the old Megaman games and has difficulty similar to the NES's.
I have tried MANY times to rent it at both Blockbuster and Hasting's but it's always out.

I guess it's a pretty kickass game if it's hard to rent.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:16 AM       
I agree that games have become a LOT easier over the past ten years. Or rather, the percentage of easy games to hard games has become higher. I figure this is probably because game designers are worried their games will be ignored for being too hard... but also because some of them want to focus on making their game fun, not challenging. Like the recent Zelda games.