Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

swimini is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM        this should be in the London Asplode thread
stiff upper lip old boy- pip pip
I am glad people remeber that London did indeed put up with repeted IRA actics, but no one took their anger out on Nuns or people wearing crosses. Let just hope the Britsih can remain as calm as they have been and not start up attacks on the Muslim community. After 9/11 400 people were attacked in this country just because they were Muslim.

It is actually fascinating to see the comparisons in how this is being reported to the international community. The death toll reported by the BBC stands at 20, with numbers for the people on the bus not included, but it seems to world media is much more sensationalist. The news now is mainly informing people of what they should be doing and what should they do if they cant get home. I few years back I was working on Oxford st (Londons busiest retil street)when a pub was bombed a few streets away. A few of us who had first aid training went to help out and although the scene was horrific, the over whelming feeling I was left with was how great the emergency services were. Unfortunately we live in a world where if you live in a city you are a target, the question is how you deal with it when it happens. If a positive lesson can be learned from this tragedy, then I hope it is that my country can show the world a human, reasoned response. However we do have a war Prime Minister and to be quite frank, I am shitting myself over just what this might lead us into.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM       
At least Blair seemed sincere in his response.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM       
9/11 was alot bigger than what happened today. I doubt their will be a response from people of London like here in America after 9/11.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM       
Not to mention the government and citizens did a lot to protect Muslims here.

But, to discuss whats actually relevent: London seems to be handling it well. Unfortunatly, you guys have a lot of practice at this.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM       
And. They're not idiots.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM        Re: this should be in the London Asplode thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimini
Unfortunately we live in a world where if you live in a city you are a target, the question is how you deal with it when it happens.
Makes me excited to be moving to Washington, DC.

Quote:
If a positive lesson can be learned from this tragedy, then I hope it is that my country can show the world a human, reasoned response. However we do have a war Prime Minister and to be quite frank, I am shitting myself over just what this might lead us into.
Well, it's still the day of. I think we may differ on what would constitute as a "reasoned" response, but I don't think taking the Spanish route post-Madrid bombings would be the answer.

And I think no matter what the death total, be it 20, 30, or 40, it remains just as horrible, and just as serious (as I'm sure you agree). I think the response needs to be firm and resolute. Don't withdraw from the world, don't withdraw from Iraq, don't restrict aid workers to places like Afghanistan and Iraq, go about your lives, and prepare to host a kick ass Olympics in 2012.

Fuck terrorism.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM        Re: this should be in the London Asplode thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimini
stiff upper lip old boy- pip pip
I am glad people remeber that London did indeed put up with repeted IRA actics, but no one took their anger out on Nuns or people wearing crosses. Let just hope the Britsih can remain as calm as they have been and not start up attacks on the Muslim community. After 9/11 400 people were attacked in this country just because they were Muslim.
The people that got alot more shit were Sikhs, who never shave or cut hair so they wear turbans and have long beards alot like Osama Bin Laden.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 04:31 AM       
Why would you think it's sensationalistic to report the full death toll including the bus? BBC is consistantly conservative when reporting "militant actions".

If there's any backlash towards the Islamic community, it's going to be from one that's been brewing long before these bombings. If anything is really sensationalistic, and premature, it's the talk of such a backlash while exploiting the over blown hate crime statistics in response to 9/11.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 07:25 PM        Re: this should be in the London Asplode thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore

Quote:
If a positive lesson can be learned from this tragedy, then I hope it is that my country can show the world a human, reasoned response. However we do have a war Prime Minister and to be quite frank, I am shitting myself over just what this might lead us into.
Well, it's still the day of. I think we may differ on what would constitute as a "reasoned" response, but I don't think taking the Spanish route post-Madrid bombings would be the answer.

And I think no matter what the death total, be it 20, 30, or 40, it remains just as horrible, and just as serious (as I'm sure you agree). I think the response needs to be firm and resolute. Don't withdraw from the world, don't withdraw from Iraq, don't restrict aid workers to places like Afghanistan and Iraq, go about your lives, and prepare to host a kick ass Olympics in 2012.

Fuck terrorism.
Amen to that. Tons of media outlets avoided calling the london attacks terrorism at all. I guess it was just the minutemen from Iraq that Moore admires so much.