Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM        Wally George, original right-wing talk show host, dies.
He was also Rebecca de Mornay's father. I was watching an interview he did a few years ago on E!, and he blamed those "crazy Hollywood Liberals" (I'm paraphrasing) for alienating his daughter from him.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

Angry TV host, De Mornay father dead
Wally George was a pioneer in 'combat TV'
Tuesday, October 7, 2003 Posted: 12:10 PM EDT (1610 GMT)

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California (AP) -- Conservative talk show host Wally George, who sparred with liberal guests for two decades on "Hot Seat," died Sunday of pneumonia. He was 71.

George, the father of actress Rebecca De Mornay, had been at the hospital for three months due to complications from cancer.

George's combative television show, broadcast on KDOC-TV in Anaheim, rose to popularity in the 1980s. He called his approach "combat TV" and was known for interrupting guests by shouting insults at them.

George told the Los Angeles Times in 1984 that fans saw him as a "down-to-earth guy who's speaking not so much from a highly intelligent brain but who's speaking from his heart and gut."

Born George Walter Pearch in Oakland to a former vaudeville actress and the owner of a shipping company, George moved to Hollywood with his mother and at age 14 became a disc jockey with KIEV-AM in Glendale.

He hosted "The Wally George Show" on Inglewood radio and was a producer and co-host of "The Sam Yorty Show" before "Hot Seat" premiered in 1983.

KDOC has been airing reruns of the show since George underwent surgery in June to remove a bone near his spine that had disintegrated because of cancer. He said at the time the problem was discovered by doctors after a fall in his Garden Grove home.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:06 PM       
I could have sworn this guy was already dead. Then I remembered that was Morton Downey Junior.

I used to watch "Hot Seat" all the time for it's alternate reality social sci fi wierdness. If anyone had told me what a friggin pioneer this guy would turn out to be, I'd have... Well I'd have said I bet they were right, but people as cynical and mysanthropic as me are supposed to be wrong about shit like that.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:40 AM       
Thomas Aquinas once said something about how he valued his intellectual opponants because he could learn from them.

Nobody is trying to learn shit anymore. People use knowledge like some sort of blunt force trauma tool designed to bludgeon dissidents into submission. A nation of intellectual tyrants playing king of dogma-mountain. Fuck em all.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:54 AM       
Aww Wally wore those really fucked up powder blue suits!

I bet the only reason people still remember him, or know who he was at all is cause of that E! special.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:02 AM       
I seriously watched his show all the time. Channel 56 out of Boston U-friggin'-HF. He was a visionary.

And when there was just one of him, foaming and pandering, it was brilliant. Now his schtick as as common as pigeon shit and he's less remembered than the guy who invented television.