Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM       
Perhaps just saying terrorism is too pc of me. I think the debate is between those who see vilent, radical Islam as a problem worth fighting, and those who just don't think it's a big deal (or worse, think it's all our fault that they hate us).

This doesn't mean we need to kill all arabs, "stop islam", or whatever other ridiculous responses this discussion will result in. People can think and believewhatever they want. You wanna hate the West? Awesome. You don't like Jews? Super. But the message must be sent that if you act out on those impulses violently, or if another state supports those actions, then you will be stopped. Your freedom to be ignorant and hateful stops at my nose, so to speak.

This is the crucial debate in my mind. I think this is what the Democrats are thinking:

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM       
Yea, I don't really know what to say beyond this. I mean: it would lapse into a sociological/psychological conversation on why people don't want to co-exist. Then somebody fills that hole in with, "ISLAM IS EVIL". Then beyond that it goes back into culture and culturizatization which is redundant of sociology anyway

I actually think the wars are going pretty good, as far as wars go. I agree that more could definitley be done- and some of the extremeties should be mediated- but regardless of that it is still progressive. These wars have been conducted very well, with not too many deaths. I think they are an improvement to past wars, but maybe I'm misinformed.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM       
Well, I'll use a little moral equivalency, since that's the language of love around this place and say that whitewashing the issue with the whole Islam is peace mantra is just as much of a disservive to Muslims as saying Islam if evil. Both mindsets are inaffectual responses. It's the( lack of) admission from moderates that will really make a difference in saving the world. If the Democrats want to swing further away from that moderate middle in order to reinvent their party it signals the intentional alienation of moderates on some issues - like the war on terror.

Burbank - the topic is the Democratic Party officially retracting their support for one candidate. You're the loony fuck talking about their personal ideals for how they'd vote. At least I have an area of expertise. You just type a lot.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM       
Kev, you post a pic like that and what am I supposed to think but that your brain is watery? A hippie donkey with a flower and a peace t-shirt? You seriously think that sums up, even jokingly, what anybody except a handful of very fringy idiots think? That would be like me saying I think the Republicans are thinking of what's going on right now as the lead in to the rapture. Sure, a few do, but enough that it's worth thinking in terms of?

"But the message must be sent that if you act out on those impulses violently, or if another state supports those actions, then you will be stopped"

Fair enough. Not a bad message at all. But do you think that can ever actually be accomplished? I think that we should absolutely work dilligently toward that, but if that's your goal, then we are at war from now on, I think. I guess that's a legitimate way of looking at it. However, I think that if we are now in a permanent state of war, the President expecting expanded 'war powers' is very dangerous to our constitutional democracy.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
At least I have an area of expertise. You just type a lot.
What exactly is your expertise? You've read a lot of books? Gone to a good school?

As far as anyone knows, you're just some jerk with a hobby, like some model train maker who drags people down to his basement to see his latest addition. But then what'd really make him a jerk is if he thought he was the only man in town who knew jack shit about trains.
Mocker

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM       
OKay Ziggy. If I'm a jerk with a hobby, at least I'm a jerk who has read books. What's your excuse?

When I first started posting on this board I must have repeated a billion times to "get an education", or to "do the research yourself, don't take my word for it" in every post I made - I think it's pretty clear who took my advice. If you were qualified to refute the things you disagree with, you would, but instead you just resort to some 5th rate insults. Way to "derail the thread" and take this conversation off topic though. You bonehead.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM       
i think the donkey pic represents the green party better.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM       
Abcdxtrainenthusiast;

The Democrat party 'oficially' did not retract their support until AFTER Lierberman lost. It would be damn odd to support his run as an independant after he lost as a Deomcrat. Prior to his loosing Bill Clinton, the last sitting Democratic president campaigned for him.
Mocker

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM       
You're right. The Democrats FULLY supported him during the primary. Nothing undermining going on, nope. Think happy thoughts.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:02 PM       
Some prominent Democrats supported each candidate.
Mocker
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Thank god you found the upside to war!
You're again twisting my words around. Try to stay on topic. You had accused me of speculating upon theory, and positing it as fct.

The fact I was pointing out was that no Democrat in the last century has ever won national election as a dove. If you think a Democrat will win the presidency on a withdraw from Iraq/uh, I'm not so sure we're at war platform, you may be in for a shock.

Quote:
What if, what if it turns out that the majority of Democrats, and good lord, maybe even the majority of americans thinks this war is wrong?
I have no doubt that an increasing number of Democrats feel this way. if you go back and read the first post, it's uh, sort of my primary concern.

Let me rephrase the question for you-- Is there room in the Democratic Party for defense hawks who still vote with the party 90% of the time? In the new DNC Politburo, is there any room for a diversity of thought?

Now, I'll be fair. My concerns may be a bit inflated. There was a good piece in Slate last week that pointe out how if the Dems. take the Senate, it'll require Red states, thus the party will maintain its moderatism. I have my doubts. Lieberman, for all intents and purposes, is a liberal. Since everyone in the Democratic Party is a "progressive" now, I wonder if there is a place anymore for even the dreaded liberals.

Quote:
And you don't have to win an election to end a war. McGovern lost in a land slide, but we go out of vietnam.
Different for Democrats. This was the point I was getting at before.

And, uh, the vietnam War in total went on for close to twenty years (including French involvement). Nearly 60,000 people died, and over 1 million Vietnamese. i know the Left loves to draw this comparison, but it's not quite there. The level of success we have had in Iraq in just three years is remarkable.

I'm not going to address everything on your laundry list, and for a couple of reasons. One, I happen to agree with you on several of them. Secondly, I want to keep it on topic.

If Lieberman were as loud, vigorous and demanding of attention as Kennedy in addition to his voting record, it would have been enough, obnoxious ass or otherwise.

Quote:
Worst gap between rich and poor since the robber barrons. Millions more people below the poverty line.
ā€œAn inappropriately low minimum wage has been a big part of the problem of ongoing working-family poverty for years. This bill insisted on an excessive estate tax give-away for a tiny handful of America's richest families as the price for raising the minimum wage for working families. No one who works for a living should have to suffer in poverty. Unfortunately, Republicans in Congress are more interested in repealing the estate tax benefiting the wealthiest Americans than helping working Americans make ends meet." -- Sen. Lieberman LINK

"Until middle class Americans and those working hard to get into the middle class get their jobs back, the 3.5 million that they lost under Bush; until they begin to be able to afford their health insurance or get it back--2 million lost their health insurance under Bush; until they have some sense of ability to send their kids to college without coming out with an enormous burden of debt, then we don't have an economic recovery."-- Sen. Lieberman LINK

* Voted against the horrible Bankruptcy Bill LINK

"This is not a balanced bill. I voted against this bill because it failed to close troubling loopholes that protect wealthy debtors, and yet it deals harshly with average Americans facing unforeseen medical expenses or a sudden military deployment. The Senate simply rejected out of hand many worthwhile amendments that would have protected these and other working Americans who find themselves in dire financial straits through no fault of their own. As a result, I believe this is a seriously flawed bill and I am disappointed at its passage.ā€ -- Sen. Lieberman

* Voted against all of the Bush tax cuts LINK

"I have come out for genuine tax reform, not only to protect the middle-class tax cuts that middle-class families did get in the last three years, but to pass a tax cut for 98% of the income tax payers and to pay for it by raising taxes on the [other] 2%. That may make some of the higher-income people unhappy, but it's the right thing to do for the middle class and for our economy." -- Sen. Lieberman LINK

Quote:
A president who believes he stands above the law and that seperation of powers should be on hold for the duration of a war on terror
ā€œFrankly Iā€™d prefer to spend our time on figuring out ways to bring this very important program of surveillance of potential terrorists here in the United States under the lawā€¦. I disagree with the Bush administrationā€™s legal judgment on this oneā€¦. But this is a critically important program to the prevention of terrorist acts here in the United States.ā€-- Sen. Lieberman LINK

Quote:
Global energy supply in serious trouble.
* co-sponsored the Enhanced Energy Security Act LINK

ā€œThe US can not drill its way out of this bind. Oil is a commodity that trades in a global market. Any modest amount of oil produced by new wells in the US would be merely a trickle in the stream of global production, and thus would not have any appreciable effect on the price we pay for oil.ā€

ā€œThe only permanent solution to high fuel prices is to end our oil addiction. The Set America Free Act would do just that. What is more, in the process of making our cars, trucks, and busses more efficient and increasing the use of fuels derived from crops, the act would reduce greatly the amount of global warming pollution that our vehicles add to the atmosphere.ā€ -- Sen. Lieberman

* Voted against Bill Frist's Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006

ā€œI cannot vote for an enterprise that falsely suggests we can drill our way out of this energy crisis and that willfully ignores bipartisan solutions to our oil addiction,ā€ said Lieberman. ā€œThis bill is a wasted opportunity and a disservice to the American people.ā€ LINK

*Supported raising CAFE standards

"My 'Declaration of Energy Independence' calls for CAFE standards to be set at a level that will save 2 million barrels of oil per day by 2015. According to estimates provided during last year's energy debate, this would require CAFE standards to be raised to 40 miles per gallon. In addition, the fuel efficiency standards should apply to SUVs as well as to passenger automobiles."-- Sen. Lieberman LINK

*Opposes drilling in Alaska LINK

Quote:
A VP who lobies for torture. A president who signns a statement on an anto torture bill reserving the right to torture.
* Voted for the McCain anti-torture amendment LINK

Quote:
An American city lost to a disatser. A head a Fema who's previous experience was as a horse judge.
* Co-sponsored the Katrina Emergency Assistance Act LINK

"The unemployment that continues to burden so many families is a grave reminder of how far we are from realizing our promise of hope to the proud people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast,ā€ said Senator Lieberman. ā€œExtending the limited federal unemployment assistance by13 weeks, just as we did after September 11th, is the least we can do to help these families still suffering from this terrible storm."-- Sen. Lieberman

*Was one of the loudest critics of FEMA's incompetence, and helped draft a proposal to completely restructure the agency LINK

"These failures of leadership and government cost lives and multiplied the anguish of the storm's survivors."-- Sen. lieberman

Quote:
I left my party, so it's hard for my viepoint to be 'partisan politics'. If you don't see all that as being the 'wrong direction', okay. I'm not enough of a history student to tell you how this comapres to other periods in American history. I do feel however it's in line with 'reality' to be concerned. I was unaware you held some sort of rights to defining reality.
There are in fact some serious flaws in some of the issues you listed, but that's another discussion. I think others would read your list and take issue with some of your claims, too. But you seem to have it all figured out, but I won't fault you for it. With me it's arrogance, but when you do it, it's merely your ability to see the "wrong direction". Yes.

Quote:
Why, Kev? Do you think the D's will win a house? Would you then be in favor of investigations, or would that not be 'in line with reality'? What IS your hope for November? That through calm disciplined bipartisan negotiation the Republican party will start playing nice with domestic stuff and the Democrats will realize that birth pangs can be great?
I've already stated my hope and/or prediction for the Fall, sniffles. I think it's very likely that the Dems will take at least one chamber. So my concern is this-- do they allow Bush hatred and politics to stifle American government? Do they propose a new, agressive vision for America both domestically and abroad, or do they becom the Do Nothing Congress? Do they focus on purging the party of dissent, attempting to form a solid isolationist bloc that prevents the government from winning the war on terror? Is there a war, Max? What plan do Democrats have for the disparity in wealth you brought up? Hmm?

Quote:
Okay, so, wait. The good dems are going to get purged. Which means either the blinded by Bush hatred lefty blogosphere dems get a house, which would be bad, or the Republicans would maintain control and while 'don't like a lot of things about the Republican dominated government', you also 'don't believe we'll need to worry much more about that come November'. I don't get it.
The Democrats, if they win in November, won't win due to anything they've actually presened to American voters. You want a good case study for this election? Watch Ohio. Here is a conservative state that just marginally gave the president a win two years ago. Watch the shift that will happen there.

But this isn't because the Democrats are so fucking wonderful, and have so many wonderful ideas to improve the miserable state of ohio. People disapprove of the government's performance, and it may be a throw-the-bums-out election this November. So, the Democrats have two options with that discontent, in my view. They can simply ride on it, campaign against those in power, and fight against the "culture of incumbency" that the DNC and the DFA types are pushing. That strategy will bite you in the ass, and there is a better way.

Maybe, I dunno, they could piece together a national plan to protect America and improve things at home? Now, candidates runing against incumbent Republicans are of course doing this on their own, but where does the national agenda stand? Would you say it's a viable one with broad appeal, or is it one that simply latches on to discontent and runs with it?

Quote:
And if I said I said the Liberman loss wasn't about Bush, I apologize. My contention is that it wasn't solely about the war in Iraq. It's all about W. But while I'll cop to personally hating W, I think you can be so against him for actual things he's actually done that you wouldn't want to vote for anyone who wasn't vigorously shouting that W is very, very, very, very bad for the country and the world. I strongly disagree with the President on every single issue I can think of. I want my representatives to represent that. If, as almost always, I'm forced to vote for the lesser evil, I will. But if and when I'm offered an alternative, I'll vote for it. All of which is moot in this case, as I'm not from Connecticut.
okay, so it isn't about the war, whichis really the one contentious issue facing Lieberman. It's really about his level of civility towards the president of our country....? isn't that, I dunno, sort of juvenile?

Quote:
A hippie donkey with a flower and a peace t-shirt? You seriously think that sums up, even jokingly, what anybody except a handful of very fringy idiots think?
I wish you fringy types would prove me wrong. But every time there's a serious terrorist threat, you seem to question the need for urgency, without otherwise suggesting how the government should prepare the public. i don't know that you've even gotten that far though, because to you it's all fear mongering, right?

And the war on terrorism, or more specifically, Islamic extremism. What's your take on that? Is it a problem? Ar we even at war with a real threat, Mr. not on the fringe guy? I guess I couldn't blame you for not taking it terribly seriously, since even the leadership of the Democratic party like nancy Pelosi and John Kerry have also raised the question.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
This doesn't mean we need to kill all arabs, "stop islam", or whatever other ridiculous responses this discussion will result in. People can think and believewhatever they want. You wanna hate the West? Awesome. You don't like Jews? Super. But the message must be sent that if you act out on those impulses violently, or if another state supports those actions, then you will be stopped. Your freedom to be ignorant and hateful stops at my nose, so to speak.

This is the crucial debate in my mind.
If it were that simple there would be no argument. State retaliation for another state's acts of war is a foregoone conclusion.

But we aren't for that anymore cuz "we can't have a smoking gun in the form of a mushroom cloud".

So pretty much, all we are left with is deciding when we're going to invade the people we are quite reasonably sure want to kill us.

Fight madness with madness. It's the only way to go.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:46 PM       
Kev, your post is far too loongt and I'm on vacation. I'll respond to two things. You can't concieve of a defense hawk who'd think Iraq caused more problems than it solved, and be hawkish on defense while wanting out of Iraq. I can. Iraq and defense are noy synonymous.

Also, I think it's very convenient that Iraq is nothing like Iraq unless you're looking at Democratic infighting, in which case it's iddentitical in every way, shape and form.

I think the Key difference between Iraq and Vietnam is that Vietnam, while ill advised, was an existing conflict, as opposed to a war of choice based on a policy of pre-emption.
Mocker
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:45 PM       
Ok, just don't bother.
Mocker
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM       
Since you're selectively responding to my points, I will return in-kind.

You said the ideal Democrat would both vote against this president's agenda, and also vocally oppose it. You then listed what you belive are the numerous problems with his agenda. I detailed for you, in great length, how Joe lieberman not only voted against the president's agenda, but also vocally opposed it.

So he voted like a liberal Democrat,and voted for a war that 28 other Democrats voted for. Several of those Dems. are currently enjoying easy re-election races, with nothing even close to the challenge Lieberman faced.

So can you tell me what makes Lieberman a bad Democrat, and/or a bad senator?
Mocker
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM       
And maybe you can tell me where your junior senator gets off attacking Lieberman for using the "rhetoric of Dick Cheney." Apparently Kerry doesn't support the rhetoric of Cheney, he only votes that way.

This is my favorite part from this article:

Quote:
"Joe Lieberman is out of step with the people of Connecticut," Kerry added, insisting Lieberman's stance on Iraq, "shows you just why he got in trouble with the Democrats there."
He is out of step with who? Kerry never was very good at understanding polls, so it's no surprise to me that 53% of all likely voters is "out of touch" in his mind.

Maybe if Lieberman had simply paid lip service to these issues the way Kerry did, he'd still be running as a Democrat today.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM       
I don't know at the very least lately there's been a wave of rash politics in america. This isn't necessarily bad, though. Nothing is ever really going to change for the better without such a rash causing enough fluctuation and change. Maybe more independents will be elected post 2012.
Mocker
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM       
Yeah, some of the comments undemocratic comments I've seen in regards to Lieberman's indy run are just baffling.

For example, Donna Brazile, a Dem strategist, found Lieberman's indy bid "troubling," and "when you lose you lose."

Imagine that.....apparently about 150,000 primary voters should decide for an entire state who their senator should be.
Mocker
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM       
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=5386910&nav=3YeX

While critical today, Lamont lauded Lieberman's rebuke of Clinton in e-mail in 1998

(Hartford-AP, Sept. 9, 2006 9:00 PM) _ Democratic Senate candidate Ned Lamont, who recently denounced Sen. Joe Lieberman for his public scolding of President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, lauded the senator at the time for his eloquence and moral authority.

Lieberman's staff on Saturday called Lamont's recent criticisms hypocritical in light of a 1998 letter sent by e-mail. However, Lamont said he stands by his position that the public rebuke exacerbated the situation.

The Lieberman Senate office released copies of the letter, which Lamont sent to the senator shortly after Lieberman took to the Senate floor to chide Clinton in September 1998.

"I supported your statement because Clinton's behavior was outrageous: a Democrat had to stand up and state as much, and I hoped that your statement was the beginning of the end," Lamont wrote.

Lieberman's rebuke made him the first prominent Democratic lawmaker to openly criticize Clinton's conduct with Lewinsky, once a White House intern. The boost to Lieberman's national profile helped him to secure the party's nomination for vice president in 2000.

Lieberman, an 18-year incumbent, is running as an independent candidate after losing the Democratic primary in August to Lamont, a Greenwich businessman critical of Lieberman's support of the Iraq war and perceived closeness to the Bush Administration.

Lamont criticized Lieberman earlier this week for his handling of the Clinton matter, telling reporters and editors at The New York Times that Lieberman should have discussed the matter privately with the president rather than creating "a media spectacle."

"You go up there, you sit down with one of your oldest friends and say, 'You're embarrassing yourself, you're embarrassing your presidency, you're embarrassing your family, and it's got to stop,"' Lamont said.

Lieberman was unavailable for comment Saturday because he was observing the Jewish sabbath. His campaign manager, Sherry Brown, said in a written statement that Lamont's hypocrisy "knows no bounds."

"He has run such a negative campaign up until this point that he had to reach back eight years to find something new to attack Joe Lieberman about -- and in this case, he was so desperate to lash out that he didn't seem to care that he was completely contradicting himself," Brown said.
BANNED

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:37 AM       
I didn't even notice you responded to me here :O I was busy at the time.

For example, Donna Brazile, a Dem strategist, found Lieberman's indy bid "troubling," and "when you lose you lose."

lol yea cause never in the history of man has somebody been so treacherous as to switch political parties ;(

Is lieberman becoming a piƱata candidate?