Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:55 PM        The electronic music people do not dance to like retards.
That other thread got me thinking. Some people here know a lot more than me on what's good in this field, and since I've taken an interest lately, I'd like you guys to recommend electronic music for inspection. What I am interested in is I guess, is anything challenging and/or warped. From drill and bass (although how much better can it get than prime squarepusher and snares?) to electronic ambient. Just as long as it's not remotely fucking anthemic trance-like. So far I've heard and liked Squarepusher, Arovane, Autechre, Venetian Snares, Amon Tobin, and to a lesser extent Aphex Twin and Polygon Window. All these groups/composers are very well known and I can't help but feel that there's a rich underbelly here full of worthwhile stuff, which I guess I might eventually uncover on my own through lots of trial and error guesses, but it makes more sense to ask you guys.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM       
I was really into 'drill and bass' before, but I got completely burnt out on its monotany. When you're first introduced to it, it sounds so clever... deep... complex... Then I realized (or decided, I guess... much less arrogant) that it's mostly someone trying to sound weird for the sake of sounding weird. Less is more. Come to psytrance, Helm.

Amon Tobin still fucking rules though.

But to answer your question, almost anything released on warp used to fit that mold pretty well... I'm admittedly out of the loop now though.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM       
what is psytrance?

edit: and I also generally don't abandon music styles that I've grown fond of. I basically collect them. I never say 'I'll never listen to that again because it's too immature' or whatever. I love all the music I've loved, and am trying to find more new music to love. So it's not a genre specific thing. I started out as a hardcore power metal fanatic, then went to doom and epic, then to progressive rock and metal, then to kraut rock and avant garde, psychotrash and all the strange grind bands, then mesostructural minimalism and ambient, then serialism, dodecatonism and other contemporary classical music styles, and finally, smart electronic music.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM       
jimmy edgar - bounce make model ep
apparat - duplex, silizium ep
pan sonic - kesto (4cds of noise to ambient)
kettel - through friendly waters (BoC molests Plaid and we get this, which i find amazing)
Amute - a hundred dried trees (static and ambient)
boom bip - blue eyed in the red room

it's all i can think of right now, because my brain is set on what's the most recent, but i should get home and find lots more stuff i think you should get into.

or maybe i should just let iron mitch do it, though good luck finding it..

psytrance, or any other trance, should be killed right off.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:37 PM       
There's a new guy I've found named Blisaed. He's a young kid and all of his releases are still being put out for free on The Ronin Collective. "Luster Heart" is pretty awesome, I highly reccomend it.
Mocker

Shyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's armyShyandquietguy has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:04 AM       
Does Aqua count? I like Aqua.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM       
Quote:
Spoken like the words of someone who doesn't know psytrance.

I'm not saying 'drill and bass' is 'dead' or that I've abandoned it - I just got burnt out on it because it has become so formulaic. Same with drum and bass. I can't listen to it anymore. The genre has become stale because it's not evolving fast enough. Jungle is the perfect example.

However, there are a few names Rez mentioned that I haven't heard of yet, so perhaps I'm just biased with what I've listened to recently and should investigate more. Regardless, I don't see this as any reason to turn this into a "my genre is better than your genre" cockfight. This happens all the time in 'techno', and that's what's so fantastic about electronic music: when a genre becomes saturated, it evolves.

Quote:
I also generally don't abandon music styles that I've grown fond of.
I find this much harder with electronic music. Because it evolves so quickly, older material becomes dated very quickly as well... ofcourse there are exceptions.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM       
Varese Bitch

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM       
TaQ :<

seriously ;<

i'd give examples but my website is being a queer
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
Quote:
Spoken like the words of someone who doesn't know psytrance.

Regardless, I don't see this as any reason to turn this into a "my genre is better than your genre" cockfight. This happens all the time in 'techno', and that's what's so fantastic about electronic music: when a genre becomes saturated, it evolves.
agreed.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:05 AM       
If you want some pretty good stuff, go snooping around my Soulseek folder for some of the stuff. Check out Blisaed, Moosefrog and (most importantly) Boards Of Canada.

Only my friends can get into the folder, so I'm going to assume that your name on there is Helm. You're now on my User List, my name on there is Schimid.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM       
For goa/psytrance check out http://www.esotericgen.com - they're some good friends, and Shagee's section has a couple mixsets for download. It's a shame Freedom still hasn't got any of his sets up yet, cuz he rocks it out.

No one has mentioned Infected Mushroom either, I'd bet you'd really like some of that, Helm.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM       
oh yeah, for a somewhat misleading, but kinda funny guide to electronic music check out http://www.ishkur.com/music/#

it goes into a lot of detail about the genres/sub-genres and gives several examples for each, though a great deal of it is just his opinion.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:51 PM       
I don't remember where I read this, but the quote has stuck with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere
The future of electronic music is Infected Mushroom without the cheese.
Besides IM, for psytrance I'd also suggest Astral Projection, Fatali, Astrix, and Cosmosis (and Space Cat ofcourse, but I've already harassed you enough about him).

The thing I like about psytrance is that, as far as I can tell, there are no real rules to the genre except having a pumping beat and your CD album art consist of some extremely lame fractal design using every stock Photoshop filter ever made.

And completely unrelated but again check out POLYSICS. Their sad songs and use of the vocoder are so beautiful they make me want to cry.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM       
polysics!