Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:50 AM        Attraction Ladder
I've yet to read up on the Ladder Theory, but what I understand of it so far seems to be an overextension of common sense. I think it's tangential to this thread, but I may be way off.

I was taught in sociology that one force that perpetuates the human race is that people are most naturally attracted sexually to members of the opposite sex who have the same "rating" as far as physical attraction goes. The thing is, this attraction normally takes place on a purely subconscious level; that is, although there are cultural standards by which some people seem to be universally attractive, people are ideosyncraticdally attracted most to people who are equally attracted to themselves.

My problem is this: I have been attracted to a huge range of girls in terms of universal (sic, "cultural") norms, and the handful of relationships I've held reflect this same variety. I've held low to high-end average girls for various periods of time, and I've been definitely led on by very attractive girls but I was generally too intimidated to follow through.

The thing is, I honestly have no idea where I stand on the ladder because I've received all kinds of mixed signals from my own experience. Most of these were people I knew in context of high school, where my personality and eccentricity probably stood out much more than my appearances did. Now that I'm in college, I'm attracted to a huge range of attractive girls, and so in my conversations it's become impossible for me to decipher whether or not a girl is attracted to me. A friend of mine told me "you don't know they like you until they stick their tongue down your throat," and I disproved this by bedding a girl who flatly denied me any chance of a relationship with her shortly thereafter. (The two of us are on much more congenial terms now.)

So, right now I'm getting positive signals from a very diverse mix. Keep in mind, part of me doesn't want a relationship with anyone at all, but even with my happy pills I want a lay every once in a while. The downside is that I have too much respect for everyone, so I don't plan on having any one-night stands unless such a desire is mutual.

So, really, what do you guys think my odds are with noteworthily attractive females, say in the 8-9 range? Keep in mind that I'm in the QuasIvy League, as I call it, so brains and eccentricity aren't all that novel. I ultimately think that personality is more important than looks, but I should at least know where to aim.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:02 AM       
On all of I-Mock there are probably no more people that have managed what you're asking as there are fingers on my left hand, & it's likely they only managed such through sheer luck.

If you do find a real answer though other means, however, please inform us here, as we SUCK @ TALKIN' TWO TEH CHIX...
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:03 AM       
From the female perspective, personality *is* more important than looks. I've seen an awful lot of sweet-talking ugly guys with amazingly hot women. Aim for the sky. If you act like you deserve an 8 or 9, the 8s and 9s will give you a shot.

As for one-night stands, it's not that hard to find women who are interested and don't want anything more. You just have to go to dance clubs to find them and not have high expectations for their personalities or intellects.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:14 AM       
MORK, PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS LOVE

WHY WOULD HUMANS WANT TO GO THROUGH SUCH A THING?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:07 AM       
Nanoo Nanoo

Spastic Colon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM       
Quote:
So, really, what do you guys think my odds are with noteworthily attractive females, say in the 8-9 range?
8-9! Years old!?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:38 AM       
8-9 on the 1-10 scale, fuckhole
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM       
If you want to know how attractive you are, you have to post a pic you dip shit. I mean in this thread, because I'm too fucking lazy to look through the whole board for your ugly mug.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM       
He's posted pics all throughtout the PYPH thread, and one in the last 2 or 3 pages as of this posting.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM       

i'm helping

-willie
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM       
I though you where smart Seth? Your gonna get cancer sucking on that turd
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:47 PM       
That's the point.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:54 PM       
Plus it's a slow death so we all get to meet Seth before he goes. :D
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM       
Well, a few things --

Do people compliment you on your appearance?
Will random girls smile at you on the street etc after brief eye contact?

A few years back this started to happen for me pretty often, but I was too stupid to take advantage of it. Now, it's all good

And I don't see it as 'taking advantage' of women. Many of them aren't necessarily interested in long term things either. As long as you're honest about it I don't see a problem with sleeping around.

I know this one guy who is far from a winner in the looks department, but is always dating very attractive women. Sure some won't go for him, but others will. I think a lot of it is exuding self confidence, and taking chances. The fact that you are getting a lot of 'mixed signals' suggests to me that your prospects are a lot rosier than you might think.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:01 PM       
I have trouble telling where I am as well, so I'm just going to ask where I stand.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM       
Post a picture then you fag.

Seth, you honestly look like a 6.
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM       
Seth you look great. The cigar is a turnoff though.

Honestly, guys who seem to be more self actualized than the normal asshats are really attractive to my girlfriends and I. The classic good looks that some guys have falls below the bar when they behave like nutsacks. I'm speaking for myself and many of my buddies when I say "quality" is what turns us on in the long run. And that "quality" for us is something a little deeper than looks.

Your probably getting appreciative stares and responses because your giving out something a bit more than just transient fare.

Either that or your fly is unzipped.

In any event, just roll with it and you'll be fine.

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM       
I like those little black & milds every once in a while. just think, half the cancer....
VolCanon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM       
Hmm. I've got a similar problem, in a way. I have some girls tell me I could be a casanova, but I have thus far had incredibly bad dating luck.

Probably cause I didn't start trying to date until the last couple years of HS, so now that I'm college/working/work-study in Japan, I'm not terribly experienced.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM       
I was talking about asking IRL.

I didn't ask, but I was essentially told that I'm hot.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:53 PM       
Post a pic already you fucking tool.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM       
No digital camera.

da blob is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:38 PM       
this ladder thing is gross simplification of reality. Ladder = 1 dimension and I cannot understand envisioning of the relative placing of male individuals in respect to their attractiveness in an unidimensionnal space. More like multidimensionnal where any individual can have different "rankings" depending on the variable you consider.

WHAT THE FUCK?! "

(mburbank)
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM       
OAO, maybe you should get some marketable skills and use your capitalistic know-how to make some money and buy a camera. I know 15-year-olds with decent jobs, even some who are entrepreneurs of a sort.

Or spend under 20 bucks on a one-time-use camera and a picture CD. It's not that damn hard to get a picture on the web.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:06 PM       
It is when your family is bankrupt.