Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:45 AM        The RPG Completion Quest
The following RPGs, I have never beaten, or never played, and are in my posession (either in catridge, disc, or ROM form):

7th Saga
Bahamut Lagoon
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Warrior 3
Dragon Warrior 4
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantacy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon
Mother (Earthbound 0 - thanks for the rom, Blackjack. At least I THINK it was Blackjack)
Paper Mario
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2)

Also on my list of games is Xenogears, Xenosaga, Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, and possibly Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, and the SaGa series. But I don't own them yet.

Anyway, I intend on playing through all these games (with a few exceptions, if they really suck. Dragon Warrior, I'm looking at you). And considering your average RPG, when taken at a moderate pace, takes about 72+ hours, I'm in for quite a treat.

Just thought I'd share. Maybe I can get some moral support, or some pointing and laughing. Maybe you have some suggestions of which games I shouldn't bother playing (I'm STILL looking at you, Dragon Warrior), or games I should add.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM       
Earthbound is my favorite rpg and one of my favorite games, but you didn't like ff7, so who knows what you'll think of it

Legend of dragoon's not bad but it's kinda stale and doesn't really have the charm of any of the ff games. I still had fun with it though.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM       
Well, I actually tracked down my copy of EB about a year ago, and played it as far as the desert part before I got sidetracked. So I did like it.

And I fail to see any connection between EB and FF7. And also, I didn't say I didn't like FF7. I said was I didn't like it as much as most of the other FF games.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:59 AM       
I'd say play Chrono Trigger first.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman
And I fail to see any connection between EB and FF7. And also, I didn't say I didn't like FF7. I said was I didn't like it as much as most of the other FF games.
I meant if you don't like one really good rpg, you might not like another

That was very funny. Well done.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM       
if you have a compulsion to complete every game you start playing, i might suggest holding off on 7th saga for a while. that game is LONG o...o and very very difficult.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:12 PM       
I had played part of it, up to when you get a partner. I wasn't overly impressed (after all, it IS an Enix game.) But I got sidetracked from the game, and just recently deleted my save state for the game. I would have started it over anyway.

Also, on my completion list:

Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Drag-on (haha I made a joke about how boring the game is) Warrior 1
DW2
Final Fantasy 7 (3 fucking times so I could understand that the hell was going on)
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy Adventure
Super Mario RPG
Dark Cloud

Just curious: What do you guys think of Wild Arms, Breath of Fire, Ogre Tactics, and Suikoden?
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:02 PM       
As much as people complain about the cel-shading, I actually loved Wild Arms 3. It wasn't all too compelling, but for some reason I just had an obsession with it for awhile. Wild Arms 3 actually had the "Old West" motif that a name like "Wild Arms" would signify, which of course means I'm inplying that WA 1 and 2 didn't nearly as much, but all in all they were all enjoyable and fun to play.

But Final Fantasy it ain't.

The one edge that WA has over FF is that you can not only rename your characters, you can rename your SPELLS too. It's meaningless in the long run, but if you find yourself getting bored at times, giving a spell a fucked up name provides a cheap laugh and gets you back on track.

MaskedMonk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland
I'd say play Chrono Trigger first.
Yes. It has a decent plot and the coolest special attacks ever.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM       
Bahamut fucking Lagoon.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM       
What about Bahamut fucking Lagoon?

I'm not asking for what games I should play in what order, you know.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:25 PM       
I like the Breath of Fire series. Part 3 is my favorite but I haven't played 5 yet.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is worth playing through. It is a awesome game.

Tactics Ogre is good. The translated PS version is fun and the GBA TO is even better, imo.

Ogre Battle is also good. Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite of that series.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:27 PM       
I love the Breath of Fire Series.

How the hell have you not finished Final Fantasy 4 yet?

And Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favorite games. But don't even bother to get Chrono Cross. It's not even a decent game, and it's even worse when you're expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

This thread makes me want to beat Secret of Mana again, for some reason :/
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:33 PM       
Breath of Fire is my favorite RPG series . The 2nd one was my favorite. Wild Arms also kicks ass :D
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Waste
How the hell have you not finished Final Fantasy 4 yet?
Because I haven't even played it yet. I end up taking my time with my games, which means that I'll eventually get sidetracked and start playing the new game I'm bound to get every couple months. In FF4/Chrono Trigger's case, I bought it while I was really into another game, and it got buried when I got other games.

Another thing is I don't like to play more than one RPG at a time. The last thing I need is to start looking for something in one game that's from another.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi
Wild Arms also kicks ass :D
Woah. Either Hell's thermostats have dropped by several thousands of degrees or me and Rongi actually agree on something.

Yes, Wild Arms 3 is MORE than worth it, considering most new games that come out are about $49.99 Suggested Retail Value (on average) and I bought WA3 brand new for $39.99. It was VERY much worth it. Like I said, Final Fantasy it ain't, but I was FAR from disappointed with it. It sucked me in hard enough that I did the exact same thing I did with the FF games, cancel all my plans (including sleep unless necessary) to play this fucker through.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 07:18 AM       
OK, I finally beat Drag-on Warrior II. I also updated my games to beat list with a couple more games (or just one, if you saw my previous edit).
JeefGyle is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 01:08 PM       
I got a free Wild Arms 3 demo in the mail a few months ago, but have yet to even play it. Now I have the motivation to
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 01:10 PM       
I wish someone would send you a free suicide demo in the mail. Just a rusty razor and some dotted lines you can stick on your wrists to guide you.
JeefGyle is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 01:36 PM       
I would sell it on Ebay, and then buy SOCOM and a ps2 online adaptor.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:46 PM       
Do not play paper mario. Throw it away. Don't sell it to some poor unfortunate victim. Its horrible, but if you start playing you'll play the whole thing through hoping to god theres at least something close to as good as Super Mario RPG in the damn game.

There isn't. It isn't even a real rpg. I think you start with 10 hp and by the end of the game I think I had 30.

EarthBound was the first RPG I ever played, so it makes me nostalgic just thinking about it. Being unfamiliar with RPGs I remember thinking it was stupid of the big boss to send his worst lackies to attack me first, because they only made me stronger.

Its a safe bet that any game made by Square is going to be awsome. The only exceptions being Chrono Cross and Secret of Evermore.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM       
phantasy star.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 08:04 PM       
I guess I'm in the minority here but I actually liked Chrono Cross. I'm not going to speculate on why you don't, but it seems like the people that hate it around here are people that are pissed that Akira Toriyama didn't have anything to do with it like he did in CT, and so all it is locally is a bunch of pissy Dragon Ball Z fans who can't get past a fucking simple character design. But I personally didn't see anything wrong with it except length. It could've been a LOT longer.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 09:22 PM       
Bahamut Lagoon is awesome, that's what. If you like Final Fantasy tactics, you'll like Bahamut Lagoon. You WILL.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:35 PM       
Cross sucked because the plot was retarded, the game was boring, and they killed off all the old Chrono Trigger characters.