Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mütiilation is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:32 PM        Viking Metal
i was strictly a black metaler for a long time, got tired of limiting myself for no real reason, then went straight to power metal. An odd leap but i guess after a handful of years, sticking with strictly black metal made me crave something else. Regardless, at this point i listen to almost anything except horrible grind. I can't stand any grind, aside from maybe if you were to consider Carcass grind (which i don't.. well pre-carcass definitly wasn't) or Dying Fetus (i mean the kevin talley variety, without him the bands just not the same)

Lately though, i've come to the conclusion the best metal is Viking metal hah. You probably will disagree, but that'd be the point of a message board in the first place. Civil arguments and sharing of opinions.

bands i like that fall in this category (IMO):

Bathory
Einherjer
Falkenbach
Vintersorg
Lord Wind
Otyg
Morrigan
Amon Amarth
Enslaved
Moonsorrow

I think you get the point by now... Any others you care to share, list 'em. Or if you feel i'm a big bag of air, thou whilst now commence the bashing.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:33 PM       
oh.. and thyrfing
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:59 PM       
you forgot sunwheel and moonblood
einherjer played NC metal nations festival last year, pretty good.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:36 PM       
moonblood is nsbm (at its finest) but its still not viking metal

nor is graveland even though during his Creed of Iron days he thought he was a viking.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:14 PM       
Is Viking metal somehow related to Asatru?
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:05 AM       
i kinda considered moonblood to be more of a "heathen" tone but yes they are obviously nsbm. and jeanette asatru is worship of the norse pantheon. viking metal is music.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:00 PM       
Skyforger are pretty good as far as 'viking' bm goes, and completely detached from any sort of nsbm tendencies.

Any sort of metal being 'the best' remains an absurd notion.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God
i kinda considered moonblood to be more of a "heathen" tone but yes they are obviously nsbm. and jeanette asatru is worship of the norse pantheon. viking metal is music.
I know what Asatru is. I was just wondering if Viking metal was influenced by it.
Egg
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:51 PM       
ya think?
Queen of the Beasts
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God
ya think?
Well seeing as I don't know anything whatsoever about it...
Egg
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:26 PM       
LOL, honey, VIKING metal. some of it inspired by the norse pantheon and the "old ways" but it really depends on the band. some bands that are newly considered viking metal are satanic. but they aren't neccisarily "asatru" inspired.
FlakTrooper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:40 PM       
Vikings were pretty homosexual...not that thats bad really, just that one might deduce that if Vikings themselves were homosexual Viking metal might also be homosexual. This is all just a theory mind you so dont go drawing giant pentagrams in blood on my door or put goat heads in front of my building
Queen of the Beasts
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:39 PM       
Ah, thank you carnisgod.
I like the Vikings...Valkeries are awesome.
How exactly were the Vikings homosexual? I don't remember reading anything about that...
FlakTrooper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
Ah, thank you carnisgod.
I like the Vikings...Valkeries are awesome.
How exactly were the Vikings homosexual? I don't remember reading anything about that...
They spent months and months and months together on boats. They had to get some somewhere
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:09 AM       
not to call you stupid, for i'm sure you're saving all your intelligent thoughts for a later date, but what you said above was quite dumb.

As for the notion that any genre of metal can be better than another, i agree mostly with that. It's entirely subjective, and in my personal opinion viking metal ends out topping the other stuff. Sure there are always good and bad examples of anything, but i think we should all agree that grindcore isn't music.

With that being said, i believe anything else i might further mention would be ignored for i'm sure some teenager with his fill of angst shall tarnish my notion that grind is bad. Anal cunt are indeed comical, but talented nor capable of being enjoyed? i don't believe i ever could.
Egg
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:53 AM       
who me?

UnDeath is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:12 AM       
heh heh heh... grindcore.... enough screaming white noise to make you fall asleep at a live show.... Cattle Decapitation gave me a chance to ttake a little nappy-by when they opened for GWAR last year...
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM       
Here, you start off quite well by saying that good and better is a matter of interpretation, and then you botch it all up by making rediculous statements about what is and isn't music.

Music, even in the strictest sense of the term, is the combination of marmony, melody and rhythm. Grindcore has all that, contorted, synchopated, but it does have them. Merzbow style noise doesn't, but that's another story.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:42 AM       
I'm not sure if it would be considered Viking metal, but I love Hel and Ultima Thule.

I don't care for the Ultima Thule-Skinhead type stuff, though.

But then again I don't understand Swedish at all.

Hel rules. I usually don't like female vocalists but I love the ones in Hel. Maybe because I can't understand what they're saying.

Uhh, I'm a nerd.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Here, you start off quite well by saying that good and better is a matter of interpretation, and then you botch it all up by making rediculous statements about what is and isn't music.

Music, even in the strictest sense of the term, is the combination of marmony, melody and rhythm. Grindcore has all that, contorted, synchopated, but it does have them. Merzbow style noise doesn't, but that's another story.
i was joking, and i figured i one were to read the above part of that post that one would deduct the sarcasm quite easily.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:13 PM       
Ensiferum, thats a really good example i failed to mention earlier

if you get a chance, i recomend their self titled album

the users at www.metal-archives.com have three reviews of it, ones a 100, ones a 98, and the other is a 90

Stardrowned is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM       
I saw Amon Amarth live 2 weeks back. They kicked ass, and their lead singer is the closest thing to a Viking their is alive today.

Probably the coolest things about Vikings was they would go bezerk by tripping off mushrooms and then ransack villages. Very cool
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:22 PM       
from what i know that was only a small section of the vikings called 'einherjers' that ate the shrooms and believed they were the strongest and went bezerk and the like but i could be wrong

The Chief is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:22 AM       
The term "Viking Metal" gets very amusing when you picture Swedish people saying it...I play de Viking Meddle, YA...