Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM        Can someone break it down for me?
I'm sure I know more about American politics than Canadian, but I'm confused about what is going on right now in your Country. So Rummy stepping down is that a "I'm jumping ship" and a pre-curser to dramatic change in your country dealing with Iraq? Or is the lower more patriotic half of the United States still going to command your country into further war? I kind of think that if You had less ignorant States you might not have gotten into this dilemma... :/
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM       
It's called Rummy's an old fart and is ready to retire. I'm sure nothing will come of it, as our Government isn't too keen on the whole actually doing stuff thing.

Anyways, we made the fucking mess in Iraq, so it is our duty to clean it up all proper like.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM       
American's don't write "Proper like"...
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM       
Whomever Bush selects to replace Rumsfeld will have to go through confirmation hearings, just like John Bolton was supposed to have when he was appointed to our ambassador to the UN. It's better for Bush to try and get this out of the way while Republicans are still running the House and Senate. The the Lame Duck Legislature can't get this done before the break, he will probably do a recess appointment, like he did with Bolton, which will last a year.

The timing of the announcement was also strategic. I'm sure Rummy would have stayed on had Republicans retained power, so I think his departure is just a way from removing him as an issue the Democrats can bitch about next year. I believe they can only investigate people that are currently IN government, which means the only non-military investigations related to Iraq at this point would have to focus on Bush and Cheney.

The Department of Defense is pretty safe for a while, because the new Secretary will need some time to get whatever's happening in the Pentagon under control of new leadership. You can't investigate a guy that couldn't possibly have any idea of what's going on, and you can't really investigate his subordinates before he has a chance to figure out what they're doing. Well, you could, but it's bad politics. I think the DoD is safe.

They could go after the Department Homeland Security, but everybody already knows that's a mess. I don't believe the Dems want to risk a look back at Katrina. The Democrats as a minority party were focused on the past, playing the part of obstuctionists and arm-chair quarterbacking the Republican dominated government. Now that they are holding the reins, they really need to focus on getting things done.

Removing Rummy was a strategic move. The Democrats now have to make one of two choices: spend the next two years working on impeachment, or spend them fixing whatever they think the Republicans broke.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
It's called Rummy's an old fart and is ready to retire. I'm sure nothing will come of it, as our Government isn't too keen on the whole actually doing stuff thing.

Anyways, we made the fucking mess in Iraq, so it is our duty to clean it up all proper like.
I'll agree to that, cause whether or not you think we should have gone in, now that we are there we are in the position to either do our best, or leave and pray the chaos doesn't hit anyone we ally ourselves with.

Anyone else hoping they will air live the Saddam hanging?

Anyway Rummy leaving was apparently "mutual" which means either he quit or was fired. Hopefully his successor won't be so keen on torture and lack of freedoms. But time will tell.