Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM        homeowners association in Missouri oppresses free speech
Okay family near mine in a fancy ass home in a fancy ass suburb put a wreath on their door with christmas lights on it in the shape of a peace sign.

They are charging her $25 a day for "politcly devicise decorations" She said screw them I'm paying it and keeping it up. And though I may not agree with her she has every damn right and God bless her for standing up for what she believes in, this is fucking America. I hope she puts up a really huge one cause she's getting fined anyway.

Would they bitch if she had a "support our troops" or "vote no on #2" sign?

This is America where we tolerate political, racial, and religous differences.... well in intention usually not, but still I think these people are being asshats.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM       
GRR PEACE MAKES ME ANGERY.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM       
Haven't we had this discussion before?

The Home Owners' Association spells out the rules when you buy the house.

I was looking at a co-op this weekend and the real estate agent gave me the list of rules I'd be subject to if I bought the place. I was also made aware I have to go before the owners' board.

Thats the way these places work.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM       
This is an episode of Fraser.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM       
I have a feeling those are your thoughts any time you see people speaking with proper grammar.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM       
Quote:
83. Three Days of the Condo (edit)
Community Score
8.6 Great
First aired: 1/21/1997 Production Code: 084

Frasier fights against the condo board president's tyranny when his plans to install a door knocker are denied.
Writer: Michael B. Kaplan
Director: David Lee
Guest star: Marsha Mason (Sherry Dempsey) , Dana Ivey (Ms. Langer), Christopher Templeton (Molly), Austin Pendleton (Dr. Dorfman)
I thought you were "Bright" :/
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM       
Gated communities are stupid. I don't know why anyone would ever want to live in an area where people can dictate little shit like how big your mailbox can be.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:24 AM       
I think you'd have a hard time in court. If a wreath is allowed, a symbol of Christmas, the birth of Jesus, it wpould be hard to say that there is no direct association between Jesus and peace. "Peace on earth", "The Prince of Peace" etc.

Now if the wreath had under it the words "In Iraq", perhaps.

But taking the peace out of Christmas, or claiming an association between Christmas and peace is politically divisive...

But I think it's funny she's paying it. Guess they'll be a contentious meeting about raising the fees.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM       
BREAKING NEWS!!!

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A subdivision has withdrawn its threat of $25 daily fines against a homeowner who put a Christmas wreath shaped like a peace sign on the front of her home.

Homeowner Lisa Jensen told The Associated Press on Monday that the board of directors of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association had apologized, called the incident a misunderstanding and had withdrawn its request for the wreath's removal.

Jensen was ordered to take the wreath down when some residents in her 200-home subdivision saw it as a protest of the Iraq war. Bob Kearns, president of the board, also said some saw it as a symbol of Satan.

The homeowners' association demanded Jensen remove the wreath from her house, saying it doesn't allow flags or signs that are considered divisive.

None of the three members of the board in the scenic town 270 miles southwest of Denver was available for comment late Monday. Kearns and colleague Jeff Heitz both had their phone numbers changed to unlisted numbers Monday. Tammy Spezze, the third board member, did not return a call seeking comment.

Jensen, a past association president, said she was overwhelmed with hundreds of calls of support and offers to help her pay the $1,000 fine that would be due if she kept the wreath up until after Christmas.

"We would like to thank everyone who has contacted us with moral support and offers of financial support. We are grateful to hundreds of complete strangers who felt so moved by this story they contacted us," she said.

"It seems whenever someone tries to say 'Peace on Earth' it is met with so much resistance," she said. "The incredible amount of support we have received over the last couple of days really is proof to us of how many people believe in peace and in our right to say it."

Copyright 2006 The
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Bob Kearns, president of the board, also said some saw it as a symbol of Satan.
This needs special attention. Sweet Jesus, how I love Homeowners Associations.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Gated communities are stupid. I don't know why anyone would ever want to live in an area where people can dictate little shit like how big your mailbox can be.
keeps out the big mailbox, peace sign wreath riff raff....