Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:41 AM        Neil Young: "Will I Be Deported?"
He changed his tune pretty quickly:

"Will I Be Deported?"

Neil Young, one-time counter-culture idol turned Reaganite, is fed up with George Bush. And his outspoken views might just get him in trouble, he tells Adam Sweeting

Thursday May 22, 2003
The Guardian

Political rebirth: Neil Young

It is difficult to find supportive things to say about George Bush unless your construction company is rebuilding Iraq, but it would be a droll irony if it was him we have to thank for Neil Young's latest creative renaissance.

"The US is like a baby with a bomb," he barks, his eyes blazing with the famous stare. "The reaction to France that the administration allowed to happen is so immature. These people have their own opinion - they're French! They're not fuckin' Americans, they're French ! Vive la difference, hello? And this big deal about Bush landing on an aircraft carrier? Talk about a six-year-old kid with a Tonka toy - we got it here."

After a string of less-than-awesome albums, it is excellent news that Young has found himself a new itch to scratch. He has never been a political songwriter, unless you count his 1970 hit single Ohio, but the songs from his new album, Greendale, take a critical squint at Bush's America through a small-town keyhole.

He tells his story about the fictional town of Greendale through a variety of characters, including three generations of the Green family, but the dominant themes reflect Young's personal concerns. He seems especially fired up by issues of media intrusion, ecological conservation and illegal surveillance by government agencies.

"I think the world today, at least the US and to some extent Britain now, is experiencing this kind of Big Brother thing," he ruminates, the day after completing his string of solo performances at London's Hammersmith Apollo. Close up, the Toronto-born Young looks lined and weatherbeaten, but his mental focus is sharp.

"It's not what we thought we were gonna be doing, a lot of the people's civil rights have been compromised, and we don't know what's going on. If I keep speaking my mind, will I be deported? I'm not very happy with the state of things. Music is being banned, and we have people in control of the radio stations who are the same people in control of the concert halls. They're also tied into the [US] administration and are sponsoring pro-war rallies. It's not good. It's interesting ."

He is referring to the recent Dixie Chicks furore, sparked by singer Natalie Maines's comment that the band was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas". The Chicks suddenly found that their records weren't being played on chains of radio stations.

"The real point was, somebody asked the president what he thought and he said, 'It's America, it's a free country, they can have their opinion, but there's nothing we can do about it if nobody goes to their shows or plays their songs,'" Young growls. "But he's so out of touch that his advisers haven't told him that their record sales spiked upwards when that happened, and while the airplay went down the sales went up and their concerts all sold out."

In the mid-1980s, Young, the professional contrarian, endorsed Ronald Reagan. Today, he sounds more like the songwriter who exploded to stardom with counter-culture darlings Crosby, Stills and Nash. "It's a robust time, probably the most fertile time for the underground and for revolution since Nixon. I'm not talking about political overthrow; I'm talking about just general cultural revolution. Bush has polarised the country and is creating this breeding ground for an opposition. In the next couple of months, they'll probably make it unpatriotic to be Democrat. It's pretty crazy."

The Greendale songs don't confront particular issues as specifically as Young does in conversation, but they are steeped in the contrast between a society falling apart and a time when communities were built on neighbourliness and responsible citizenship. That wasn't quite the kind of upbringing Young experienced, since his parents separated when he was 13, but albums such as Old Ways and Harvest Moon espoused similar old-homestead values.

During his live performances this week, Young used only acoustic guitar and a wheezy old organ, and filled in some background with a running narrative between songs. On disc, the music is played by Young and Crazy Horse, and is accompanied by a home-made movie. This will be bundled in with the album on DVD when it is released in August.

Under his pseudonym Bernard Shakey, Young has dabbled in film-making for decades - but even his keenest fans found his previous movies, Journey Through the Past and Human Highway, hard going. The film he has made to accompany Greendale is primitive and idiosyncratic, but when it is matched with the soundtrack it acquires a curious resonance. Though Young has developed an array of sophisticated electronic gadgets that he uses in live performance, he adopted a metaphorical back-to-mono approach for the movie.

"I got this little $500 camera, it's a Eumig Nautica underwater Super 8 film camera, made in Germany. It's pretty old. It uses little Super 8 cassettes that last two and a half minutes, no sound. I thought it looked pretty cool so I just keptusing it. There wasn't much thought went into it."

Whether the Young who has made Greendale is the real Neil or just another aspect of a complicated personality, no one can say. Jimmy McDonough came as close to penetrating Young's defences as anybody ever will in his superb biography, Shakey, but Young has distanced himself from the book.

"I think Jimmy McDonough is a great writer and that's why I asked him to do it," he says. "I didn't want some watered-down flowery version of who I am - that's nothing but a self-serving piece of shit. But rather than let anything happen officially, I should have just let people do whatever they wanted to do. That was a mistake, but I'll live with it. I fought it coming out because I wanted it delayed until after my daughter turned 18, and I managed to delay it for a couple of years, so I did OK."
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:06 PM       
Being deported back to Canada isn't that bad.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:55 PM        Hi
Hello, Im an aging rocker desperately trying to find a way to reach young people in an effort to sell records.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:30 PM       
Quote:
"The reaction to France that the administration allowed to happen is so immature. These people have their own opinion - they're French! They're not fuckin' Americans, they're French ! Vive la difference, hello?
Vive la free thought, hello? The reaction the government allowed to happen.

Self imprtant twit.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:20 PM        Re: Neil Young: "Will I Be Deported?"
Quote:
He is referring to the recent Dixie Chicks furore, sparked by singer Natalie Maines's comment that the band was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas". The Chicks suddenly found that their records weren't being played on chains of radio stations.

"The real point was, somebody asked the president what he thought and he said, 'It's America, it's a free country, they can have their opinion, but there's nothing we can do about it if nobody goes to their shows or plays their songs,'" Young growls. "But he's so out of touch that his advisers haven't told him that their record sales spiked upwards when that happened, and while the airplay went down the sales went up and their concerts all sold out."
This is probably because everyone wanted their own copy to throw under the steam roller.

Quote:
In the mid-1980s, Young, the professional contrarian, endorsed Ronald Reagan. Today, he sounds more like the songwriter who exploded to stardom with counter-culture darlings Crosby, Stills and Nash.
All of these activist/musicians are like this. Although, in his defense, you should probably place his endorsement of Reagan in its context. Reagan, in a very weird parochial way, WAS a revolutionary. His conservatism was new to even many Republicans. I can see why a bandwagin jumper like Young would step in line....

With that said, the new album sounds interesting.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:16 PM        Re: Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Hello, Im an aging rocker desperately trying to find a way to reach young people in an effort to sell records.
Or maybe an aging rocker with some integrity and balls. What does he have to prove to anyone? It's not like he's going broke. Trust me, he still has enough of fan base of baby boomers to carry him along for some time to come. I think he was just speaking his mind. Unfortunately, as Pearl Jam, Tom Petty and the Dixie Chicks are finding out, having your own brain in the music industry can be detrimental to your fiscal health.

P.S. On a side note, I find it hilarious that the Dixie Chicks controversy has sparked a rise in their sales because people are buying and destroying their CDs. I'm sure that they're laughing all the way to the bank over that. Plus, any publicity is good publicity.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:49 PM       
Kelly, do you honestly believe that most of the entertainers who are running their mouths about this truly believe in their causes of the week? They are every bit the lambs you accuse the conservatives of being.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:23 PM       
"Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow"
Mocker
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:30 PM       
When in doubt, break out the redneck rock.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM       
What a brilliant and stunning reply!

A pity I was being glib, otherwise that would have been a fatally wounding rebuttal, rest assured.

Old May 28th, 2003, 12:17 AM       
Integrity and balls?

So what's the deciding factor here? A person who defends Dubya is a moron, despite how substantiated the argument may be.

But speak out against the "man" or the "system" and no matter how hollow and weak your argument is, you get to be a man of integrity?

There is a crazy homeless crackhead that hangs out in front of a place I shop sometimes. He seems to speak his mind freely and he's not afraid of what others think. He might be full of shit, but I guess he's a man of integrity and balls for having the nerve to speak his mind.
Mocker

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:45 AM       
Quote:
Integrity and balls?

So what's the deciding factor here? A person who defends Dubya is a moron, despite how substantiated the argument may be.
Considering that you haven't cited any of his lyrics, comments or addressed any of his points in particular, you're argument is pretty general and weak in itself.

Quote:
But speak out against the "man" or the "system" and no matter how hollow and weak your argument is, you get to be a man of integrity?
Going WITH the crowd certainly is easier. I don't even know his points myself but I'll defend his right to say it rather than join the those with the "mob mentality" to want to beat down anyone that has a cross word for the government. After being in the army that "my country, right or wrong" shit left a bad taste in my mouth. I question everything, especially those like Dubya that are ever so slowly chipping away at my right to do so. You seem to think that by my questioning the government that I am against the government. On the contrary, I think that viligance in examining the government makes for a better goverment. Besides, anyone who questions Dubya is already on the right track as far as I'm concerned.

Mocker

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:51 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Kelly, do you honestly believe that most of the entertainers who are running their mouths about this truly believe in their causes of the week? They are every bit the lambs you accuse the conservatives of being.
Did I say ALL entertainers? I've been a fan of Neil Young for a while now and think he's a man of integrity who deserves the benefit of the doubt. That's not saying I'd blindly follow anything he says but that, in general, I've followed at least some of his views in the past. Of course, I'll have to reserve judgement until I've actually seen the lyrics and or his statesments.

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:37 PM       
Quote:
Integrity and balls?
Yes, these days it takes both of these to survive under threats such as: "either you are with us or against us" (he actually says that if you don't support him in his murderous ventures then we are "unpatriotic or "un-American" doesn't that bother you? what about this one: "Orange alert" ?

Quote:
The arguments for or against bush have constantly been been ping pong'ing, not only here but on a global level. It comes down to asking: "what has he done for me/us/US?"
bush has pulled off quite a number of first-class acts of TREASON against his own people. To get an answer to what the "deciding factors" are, you need simply to view the results of his deeds and ask: "what are his reasons for doing what he does, and how has it helped me (as a citizen)?"

Quote:
He/N.Y. (interesting initials) can, under the protection of the first ammendment say whatever the hell he likes, however loose in its delivery!
If bush can tell people to go f*** themselves, after he (and his own) has rigged an election to their own benefit, and even attacks other countries under ANY excuse he can find to justify his (and his comrades) need for war...then, Niel should by all means, be allowed to express himself in whichever manner he bloody chooses!

Quote:
There is a crazy homeless crackhead that hangs out in front of a place I shop sometimes. He seems to speak his mind freely and he's not afraid of what others think. He might be full of shit, but I guess he's a man of integrity and balls for having the nerve to speak his mind.
Good for him to speak his mind! But mind you he doesn't have that much to lose!

Old May 28th, 2003, 08:21 PM        Yeah
Kelly,
First let me clarify. I didn't address his argument because first, from what the article has stated its obviously pretty weak. Second, I could care less about his nutty politics. I was commenting on his motivations.

As for what I think of you, I made no mention of what I think your position is. You assumed that on your own.

Finally, I agree with your "vigillance" but unlike you, I beleive it ought to be applied equally to both sides. Being "anti-government" doesn't necessarily make it right, or truthful. Quite frankly I don't think a lot of people apply the same level of scrutiny to things that support that views as they do to those that don't.

Zosimus,
I'm not even going to get into all of that. If the best you've got is "treason" and "stealing elections" I'd rather not even engage that discussion.