Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:35 PM        Imperial Hubris
The book has been getting a lot of attention in the past few days and I'm really interested in reading it. I am 90% through with Ghost Wars by Steven Coll about the CIA's business in Afghanistan for the past 20 years. I am intruiged by much of it and have found just by listening to the interviews done with regards to Imperial Hubris that it corroborates much of what Coll said in his book.

Regardless, the author of Imperial Hubris said in an interview that he was suprised that when he submitted his book to the CIA for review, that it was accepted with no changes and cleared for publishing. The basic premise of the book is that the White House through two administrations missed the boat with opportunities to catch or kill bin Laden prior to 9/11. They talked about the importance of getting him publically, but privately were unwilling to risk the consequences. Further, he asserts that the war in Iraq plays right into the hands on bin Laden because it not only relieves some of the direct pressure on him, but provides a front for Arab fighters around the world. They now have a front line battlefield to wage their war.

Regardless, in poses an interesting question in light of the recent departure of George Tenet. Is the fact that this book that is so critical of White House policy is being allowed to be published a sign that the CIA is fighting back against the Bush Administration? The CIA has taken the brunt of the criticism for both 9/11 and the war in Iraq. It seems this book is designed to state their case.