Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM        More Compassionate Conservatism in Action
I give you the Governor of my state, Matt Blunt:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Joplin Independent

Gov. Blunt slammed for mental health budget cuts by: mocmhc
Updated: 2005-02-16 16:43:57-06
Drastic cuts would eliminate mental health service for thousands

Governor Matt Blunt’s Fiscal Year 2006 budget recommendations would slash nearly $41 million from the Missouri Department of Mental Health’s general revenue for community treatment and rehabilitation services. Psychiatric services and alcohol and drug treatment programs would lose an additional $20 million in federal funds because of the reduction in state matching funds. An additional $24 million in federal funds for mental retardation and developmental disability services would be lost. Thousands of Missouri’s citizens would be affected by this $85 million loss in funding.

Cindi Keele, executive director of the Missouri chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI of Missouri), said, “In times of economic downturn, it is critically important for Missouri to protect both the mental health system and those who need Medicaid mental health services. I shudder to think how these cuts will affect thousands of Missouri’s families, already suffering from disabilities, many of whom are terrified and calling our office for help.”

Department of Mental Health officials estimate that 13,620 adults with serious mental illnesses and 600 children with serious emotional disorders will lose access to psychiatric services, and 11,050 will not receive substance abuse treatment services. An additional 5,800 Medicaid-eligible patients will no longer receive some services necessary for their continued treatment. The proposed Medicaid changes would negatively impact 24,000 people who currently receive mental retardation and developmental disability services.

Loss of federal funds will eliminate suicide prevention programs which have been instrumental in reducing Missouri’s suicide rate. Persons with a serious mental illness who are unable to access care and medications will suffer recurrent episodes of acute symptoms. Emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and law enforcement involvement will increase.

Nearly half of Missourians receiving substance abuse treatment services are referred from the criminal justice system. With the proposed budget cuts, community-based psychiatric services will no longer be available to half of the court-referred clients, who have committed crimes and are on conditional release.

People with serious mental illnesses will use some form of services—whether early and effective community services or high-cost institutional placements. As reported in a Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law brief, mental health cuts in Oklahoma cost the state several million dollars a year in more expensive crisis center services. Cuts of $23 million in South Carolina left people waiting for days in emergency rooms or jails for more appropriate placements.

Jim House, chair of the Federation of Missouri Advocates for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, said, “I call on Governor Blunt to change his budget priorities. Governor Blunt looks to Thomas Jefferson for wisdom. Jefferson said, ‘The care of human life and happiness is the first and only legitimate object of good government.’ Governor Blunt, please don’t balance the state’s budget on the backs of the poor and disabled. Don’t abandon Missouri’s most fragile citizens.”
Will chop you good.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM       
Matt Blunt's philosophy: The mentally ill? Fuck 'em. The addicted? Fuck 'em.

Oh, and the handicapped? Fuck them, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Columbia Missourian
Rally groups protest Blunt’s Medicaid cuts
The participants littered the Capitol with durable medical equipment.

By JEANA BRUCE

February 17, 2005

JEFFERSON CITY — Protesters dumped a large trash bin full of prosthetic limbs, discarded walkers and empty prescription bottles in the Capitol Rotunda on Wednesday to demonstrate their disdain for Medicaid cuts proposed in Gov. Matt Blunt’s budget for fiscal 2006.

The spectacle was intended to call attention to Blunt’s proposal to eliminate Medicaid coverage for durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs. Participants at the rally said Blunt’s plan suggests such equipment is refuse that the state need not fund.

Protesters included representatives of Grass Roots Organizing, Paraquad and the Missouri Budget Project.

State Rep. Wes Shoemyer, D-Clarence, took the opportunity to attack Blunt’s proposed cuts.

“Our governor chose, in my opinion, the most negative way to attack Medicaid,” Shoemyer said. “We spent 70 years developing a social contract, one that said I’ll watch your back if you’ll watch mine. The social contract today is under attack.”

Blunt’s proposal, in addition to cutting durable medical equipment, calls for changing Medicaid eligibility requirements so that only those whose income is 30 percent or less of the federal poverty level would be able to receive the health-care assistance.

During a news conference earlier in the day, Blunt explained why he thinks the cuts are necessary.

“The question here is: ‘What sort of social welfare system can Missourians afford?’ We have to make some changes to get costs under control within state government,” Blunt said. “And the only way to increase funding for public schools and hold the line on taxes is to reduce government spending, and that includes government spending within social welfare programs.”

Blunt said that he is offering the Missouri General Assembly recommendations for how to improve Medicaid programs.

Protesters placed a sculpture, “The Governor’s Waste,” in the first floor rotunda of the Missouri Capitol on Wednesday. The sculpture contained medical items such as prosthetic limbs, crutches and gloves.

“Even after we make all those changes, 15 percent of the people in Missouri will be on Medicaid,” Blunt said. “That is a very generous social-welfare program that Missouri taxpayers will continue to fund.”

Bobette Figler of St. Louis is a Medicaid recipient suffering from multiple sclerosis and myasthenia gravis, a disorder that affects the muscles and requires her to use a wheelchair. She attended the event with her dog, Flint.

Figler said state health programs helped her overcome her disabilities. “They gave me the inspiration to fight, to know that my life was worth living,” she said.

Figler said she was once on a respirator and unable to speak or swallow. Eventually, she was able to go back to school with state help.

“By the grace of God and this program I was able to return to work four years ago,” she said.

Robin Acree, who orchestrated the rally, introduced the speakers in front a pile of medical equipment. She vowed the demonstration would not be the last time opponents of the cuts would make their voices heard.

“We are not a waste,” she said. “We are valuable.”
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM       
Thanks, Sspad. I'd consider this a part of my ongoing series, "Red-State America at her finest."

So what's the party-line makeup the the Missouri General Assembly (probably a dumb question)? What's the likelihood that these proposals will even make it through your legislature....?
Will chop you good.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM       
Missouri Senate:
Republicans- 22
Democrats- 11

Missouri House:
Republicans- 97
Democrats- 65
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM       
Here's the part I love about this. You never end up saving money cutting services to the mentally ill. Never.

Giving addict and alcholics access to treatment reduces violent crime and cuts way down on unpaid emergency room treatment.

etc, etc, etc.

Supercooldude is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM       
Screw the retards and the cripples. What did they ever do for me? It's responsibility of thier family members to take care of them. If they don't got any family or they won't take care of them, then let them die.

If I ever get disabled and can't take care of myself, I would let myself die instead of expecting everyone to worry about me.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM       
I truly want to believe that you're not some madeup character, but I cannot.

Sergeant_Tibbs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM       
Maybe its vince...