Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
glowbelly glowbelly is offline
my baby's mama
glowbelly's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: cleveland
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM        $4 prescriptions.
my local grocery store (giant eagle) and walmart are both offering $4 scripts on about 300 commonly prescribed generic medications. i just want to know how they are able to do this and what kind of effect it's going to have on insurance companies, if any.

i just spent $70 for one prescription last week (i didn't know about the $4 deal at the time). my insurance co-pay for generic drugs is $15. you see where i'm going with this?

proof:

www.walmart.com/pharmacy
www.gianteagle.com/rx
__________________
porn is just babies as work-in-progress
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Preechr Preechr is offline
=======
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NA
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM       
Wal-mart's low prices have put more money in the pockets of America's poor than have the combined efforts of our welfare and Social Security systems. I am not factoring in for the low wages and poor benefits they "provide" for their employees when I say that, neither am I cutting the numbers on accounting for the "devastation" it's wreaked on Main Street, USA. Decisions to work for Wal-mart and those to compete with them are products of choice.

I am factoring in for the stabilization in inflation and lower transportation costs it is responsible for. Wal-mart's low prices go WAY beyond the shelf prices on groceries and durable goods.

If there's to be any effect on insurance companies, it will be a positive one. Health insurance companies have painted themselves into a corner, offering customers far more than was ever possible or allowed by the concept of indemnity. Insurance was only ever supposed to be concerned with ACCIDENTAL financial loss, and only to the point of indemity (the exact financial point at which the accidental loss occurred.) 9/10ths of prescription drug costs and over half of all other medical costs have nothing to do with anything accidental.

I'm not saying you don't need your drugs, or that you shouldn't take full advantage of your health insurance policy, glowbelly. Go to Wal-mart and pay the $4 and know you are doing a very good thing. This is a helluva lot better a thing than the idea of importing drugs from Canada. The ~$11 you are saving is gonna translate into $20 your insurance company can save, which will hopefully translate into more R&D for newer, better drugs for your kid one day.
__________________
mburbank~ Yes, okay, fine, I do know what you meant, but why is it not possible for you to get through a paragraph without making all the words cry?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM       
you know what's wierd is I know walmart is supposed to have low prices but lately whenever i go in there for just about anything I notice they have the same prices as other places, and often it's worse quality. For example, we just bought a new battery for our car which was 60 or more dollars total. Same price at autozone, except at autozone you get a six year warranty. At walmart we got a 3 year warranty and they told us it would take five hours to install the battery. This seems to constantly happen in the automotive department, the same thing happened with tires but that time I went to firestone instead.
When you look at their "Quality" items you notice it's either the same price or more than other places. Whenever I buy their low quality clothes they fall apart a week later.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Preechr Preechr is offline
=======
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NA
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM       
Well, despite my above post, all things in the retail world are fads. Big Box Stores will go away one day for some reason or another, and it's most likely going to be a product of the low quality forced by their constant squeezing of manufacturers for lower shelf prices and bad public relations. I generally tend to save up for higher quality stuff I know will last or better quality food I know I can trust, so I don't shop at Wal-mart that much. I buy shoes at Target, though! (every 2 months or so...)

Beware of anything with moving parts you can get at Autozone! Their lifetime warranties only cover the price of the product, not installation. I put 5 different throw-out bearings in an S10 within 3 weeks once...
__________________
mburbank~ Yes, okay, fine, I do know what you meant, but why is it not possible for you to get through a paragraph without making all the words cry?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM       
I only buy catfood at walmart.

Production of low quality products is so wrong. It's a complete waste of natural resources and it creates waste pointlessly.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Preechr Preechr is offline
=======
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NA
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM       
Consumption of low quality products is wrong
__________________
mburbank~ Yes, okay, fine, I do know what you meant, but why is it not possible for you to get through a paragraph without making all the words cry?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM       
Quote:
they told us it would take five hours to install the battery
5 hours? What the hell are you driving? A Locust?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM       
lol i don't know you'd think we were driving a labyrinth machine or something. It was just because they didn't want to have to install a battery, because I happen to know for a fact it would've only taken them 30 seconds with their fancy power tools. Ittook melike an hour though because i had to mcguyver it with a wrench and a screwdriver because the bolts where hard to get a grip on.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Courage the Cowardly Dog Courage the Cowardly Dog is offline
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nowhere, Missouri
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM       
cheap medication that anyone who needs can afford?

This is the best thing walmart has done since guitar hero demos. I think advertising, slapping a name brand and charging exorbitant prices for prescriptions people need in order to live or operate is immoral and I think this is free enterprise at it's best.

No more choosing between food, rent, and medication for me, but on the downside my posts may be more coherent and less fun soon.

I hear Walgreens is next in line to do this and are already testing it in Florida.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Azrael Azrael is offline
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The spare bedrroom in Carl's house.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
you know what's wierd is I know walmart is supposed to have low prices but lately whenever i go in there for just about anything I notice they have the same prices as other places, and often it's worse quality. For example, we just bought a new battery for our car which was 60 or more dollars total. Same price at autozone, except at autozone you get a six year warranty. At walmart we got a 3 year warranty and they told us it would take five hours to install the battery. This seems to constantly happen in the automotive department, the same thing happened with tires but that time I went to firestone instead.
When you look at their "Quality" items you notice it's either the same price or more than other places. Whenever I buy their low quality clothes they fall apart a week later.
I shop at Wal-Mart all of the time, cuz I'm a Ghetto ass. But if you love your automobile and want it to last a long time, for Pete's sake do not get any kind of Auto parts there. Something as important as a car battery really should be purchased at a far more reputable place.
__________________
"Nice try, but my head has Paradox absorbing crumple zones!"-Robot Santa Claus
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Courage the Cowardly Dog Courage the Cowardly Dog is offline
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nowhere, Missouri
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
you know what's wierd is I know walmart is supposed to have low prices but lately whenever i go in there for just about anything I notice they have the same prices as other places, and often it's worse quality. For example, we just bought a new battery for our car which was 60 or more dollars total. Same price at autozone, except at autozone you get a six year warranty. At walmart we got a 3 year warranty and they told us it would take five hours to install the battery. This seems to constantly happen in the automotive department, the same thing happened with tires but that time I went to firestone instead.
When you look at their "Quality" items you notice it's either the same price or more than other places. Whenever I buy their low quality clothes they fall apart a week later.
I shop at Wal-Mart all of the time, cuz I'm a Ghetto ass. But if you love your automobile and want it to last a long time, for Pete's sake do not get any kind of Auto parts there. Something as important as a car battery really should be purchased at a far more reputable place.
testify brother. They don't know shit there and there products are pretty low quality. I only by crap there cause I can't afford it elsewhere, i as well am Po.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM       
i doubt they could fuck up on a car battery it's name brand anyway so I wasn't too worried I still wish we would've gone to autozone though :O
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #13  
noob3 noob3 is offline
Banned
noob3's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: WHIRL
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
they told us it would take five hours to install the battery..
wtf u cant install a battery in a car its like installing a battery in anything else
Reply With Quote
  #14  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM       
IM GOING TO INSULT PEOPLE FOR THE SAKE OF INSULTING:

Quote:
"wtf u cant install a battery in a car Sad its like installing a battery in anything else Sad"
PREVIOUSLY ON DIAHREEAHAHAH:
Quote:
"It was just because they didn't want to have to install a battery, because I happen to know for a fact it would've only taken them 30 seconds with their fancy power tools. Ittook melike an hour though because i had to mcguyver it with a wrench and a screwdriver because the bolts where hard to get a grip on."
I don't have very good tools. It would've been nice to have a socket wrench but I couldn't find ours. Instead I had to take a regular wrench(crescent wrench? the kind that you move the little circular thing to open and close) and get it to stay on the bolts, but then I couldn't move it very well because of the grip status. So i took the screwdriver and put it through the hole in the crescent wrench and turned it and VOILA.

"Consumption of low quality products is wrong"

lol I knew you'd say something like that I'm going to have to get back to you. While i agree that alot of power is in the person and the choices the person makes it's very easy to sucker people who are disadvantaged. I suppose you think kicking handicapped people in the face is funny because they should learn to walk or something but I think that's cruel and unnecessary and negates the purpose of handicap ramps and political institutions that were designed to stick out for the weak man who couldn't survive on his own and thus needed a social backbone.]
and coming from a person who works on wheel chairs for shame.

I mean personally I think the point of society and political institutions is to initiate babies and those who don't know into a state of know and function. I consider the government failing and quite pointless if it can't manage to take care of that basic fundamental and necessary function.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Preechr Preechr is offline
=======
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NA
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
I suppose you think kicking handicapped people in the face is funny because they should learn to walk or something but I think that's cruel and unnecessary and negates the purpose of handicap ramps and political institutions that were designed to stick out for the weak man who couldn't survive on his own and thus needed a social backbone.
Wha?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
and coming from a person who works on wheel chairs for shame.
Um, yeah... That's the most poorly constructed strawman I think I've ever seen you try to build. For the most part, my kids are handicapped due to birth defects. That's not even close to being the same thing as someone stubbornly maintaining willful ignorance. I do have some kids that are handicapped due to the abuse or neglect of others, ie: shaken baby or their dad thought it would be cool to buy his 16 year old a Hayabusa (no shit... we have 3 of them, all quads,) and that might be something close to the education system churning out morons that can't read and have no sense of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
I mean personally I think the point of society and political institutions is to initiate babies and those who don't know into a state of know and function. I consider the government failing and quite pointless if it can't manage to take care of that basic fundamental and necessary function.
First you say government AND society, then you seem to blend one into the other, as if they were the same thing. Notice you did not factor in for any sort of personal responsibility or that of a parent to her child. Very telling...

Since we're talking about "consumption of low quality products," I will confine my remarks to that topic. First off, what the hell are you doing here posting about "consumption of low quality products" and car batteries when you should be reading your books? Secondly, consumption of of low quality food and durable goods, which is, as I said, wrong, is it's own punishment usually. Low quality food makes you fat and unhealthy, maybe even sick or dead, and low quality durables generally prove themselves not so durable.

You take your punishment, because what you have done is wrong. You get fat and sick and your crap breaks down. Depending on what you decided so poorly to purchase, you might even be risking your life. It's your choice to learn from that or to not, if you remain alive despite your mistake. Sure, it would be nice if government schools and parents actually spent more time preparing people to understand extremely basic realities such as this, but, sadly, we don't live in that world.

Harsh reality IS there when society and our own common sense fails us. You say some people are "disadvantaged." If I were saying this instead of typing it, I would drag out that first "A" to mock your use of the word. Who in the fuck among the non-retards of the world is so "disadvantaged" as to not be able to comprehend that eating Big-Macs 4 times a day is not such a good idea? Do you honestly believe there are THAT many people in the world that think a $400 86 Yugo is the same thing as a new Beamer?

Now, this all started when I corrected your mind-numbing assertion that PRODUCTION of low quality products is morally wrong. When you get to Atlas Shrugged, you will see that she believes you are correct, but not in the way that you think now. If you were speaking in the micro-sense rather than the macro-sense, you'd be right on target.

Now, go turn off your computer and turn on a lamp. Grab whichever book you intended to start first and dig in.
__________________
mburbank~ Yes, okay, fine, I do know what you meant, but why is it not possible for you to get through a paragraph without making all the words cry?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM       
"Wha?!?!"

I was just exagerating obviously.

"First you say government AND society"

Government is a social institution designed for overall stability of the society and mandates many things within that society. That's kind of the entire point of Government, to help control society. That's why it's called "Govern"ment.

"Notice you did not factor in for any sort of personal responsibility or that of a parent to her child."

I think the parent is responsible for the child but if the parent has the intellectual capacity of a child because they weren't prepared or raised properly (which again could be faults of the grandparents, or sometimes the fault of the government/people for repressing those people into a bad lifestyle) then you can't really expect much out of them. The only mediator in situations like that is government mandated social programs that abound such as public education and civil rights. Also notice that children being perpetuated into fucktards is perpetual, there could be entire family lines of fucktards. Keep that in mind for my next paragraph.
It's not so much that I blame the government or society as much as that i think the government or society is often the only possible objective, responsible party in many situations. I don't know why I have to explain this it's probably because you always maintain your rugged individualism perspective.
Relying on people to learn from their own mistakes is pretty ridiculous given the history of the human race so you know I take the route of understanding that people understand shit all when they come into reality and develop their thoughts via social involvement and some other things.

"Secondly, consumption of of low quality food and durable goods, which is, as I said, wrong, is it's own punishment usually. "

How does that punish people who purposely build low quality, often dysfunctional, items so they can get a bunch of money for themselves? Also, I know I didn't mention this before but doesn't "Wasting resources" also imply that high quality items will also raise in price as a result of the production of low quality items? So you see this can have other relevant "macro" aspects besides kindling people's weaknesses.

"Sure, it would be nice if government schools and parents actually spent more time preparing people to understand extremely basic realities such as this, but, sadly, we don't live in that world. "

Yea because out of all the things we do and strive for in the world that would be a huge waste of time and we should completely ignore it in exchange for having big egos. I mean seriously man that entire statement is shitting in the face of the history of social and civilized progression and it's pointless to maintain that society and the functioning of the human race doesn't rely on our aquintance with reality.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #17  
noob3 noob3 is offline
Banned
noob3's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: WHIRL
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM       
dude i am sorry i said anything about the battery maybe your car is harder to change than mine?

i am not even sure what wrench mine is i just know that it might be a metric wrench and that I HAVE ONE :o
Reply With Quote
  #18  
FartinMowler FartinMowler is offline
Banned
FartinMowler's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: incoherant
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM       
1/2 or 13 mm is the same thing :/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM       
dude it's totally okay i just wanted you to understand my plight

it was really just that the bolts are so close to the battery that no wrench could get a grip without having some interference, and if it did get a grip i could only move it not even a single centimeter. Even then usually it was so greasy and the angle was so off it would just slip off and not turn at all. However if we had powered socket wrenches like at walmart I imagine it would've taken a grand total of one minute to remove and place the sockets back on.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.