Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM        I am far more worried about honeybees
I am far more worried about the sudden catostrophic and as yet mysetrious decline in Honeybees than I am about Iran.

Just so you see where I'm coming from. I like hyperbole, so sometimes people read me as more taken up with something than I really am.

Not that I'm not worried about Iran. It's just that the honeybee story has the potential to cause a lot more grief in the long run, and it's a story most folks and the media can't wrap their brains around the way they can war stories.

This is early days on the honeybee thing. It could turn out to be short term, or explicable and curable, but it's very, very troubling. Anyone besides me following this?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM       
I'm not, what the heck is going on?

Poor honey bees!
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM       
I'm a bit uneasy about it, especially since nobody seems to know jack shit about what's going on.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM       
This isn't the greatest article, but it gives you some info. Basically, Bees are going off in search of pollen and not being able to find their way back to the hive. No one knows why. The article also doesn't detail how critical honey bees are to modern agriculture. About a third of what humans eat is polinated by honeybees.

If it turns out to be a parasite or infection, perhaps we can find some sort of cure, or if it's a disease it could simpky burn itself out. But if it's some environmental insult that's causing neurolgical damage, or interfering in some other way with their navigational sense, something that's not clearly understood to begin with, it could have very serious repercusions.

It may well turn out to be no big deal, but I hate this stage in scientiffic mysteries when next to nothing is known. And the reporting so far absolutely sucks. If Tigers go extinct (something that will probably happen in our lifetime) it's an aesthetic tragedy, but it really doesn't change things very much for people. If honeybees go extinct, we are very, very fucked.

Mystery illness killing honeybees

Feb. 28, 2007
Asso*ciated Press

A mys*te*ri*ous ill*ness is kill*ing tens of thou*sands of hon*ey*bee col*o*nies across the U.S., threat*en*ing hon*ey pro*duc*tion, the live*li*hood of bee*keep*ers and pos*si*bly crops that need bees for pol*li*na*tion.

Re*search*ers are scram*bling to find the cause of the ail*ment, called Col*o*ny Col*lapse Dis*or*der.

Re*ports of un*u*su*al col*o*ny deaths have come from at least 22 U.S. states. Some af*fect*ed com*mer*cial bee*keep*ers — who of*ten keep thou*sands of col*o*nies — have re*ported los*ing more than 50 per*cent of their bees. A col*o*ny can have rough*ly 20,000 bees in the win*ter, and up to 60,000 in the sum*mer.

“We have seen a lot of things hap*pen in 40 years, but this is the epit*o*me of it al*l,” Dave Hack*en*berg, of Lewisburg, Penn.-based Hack*en*berg Api*ar*ies, said by phone from Fort Meade, Fla., where he was work*ing with his bees.

The coun*try’s bee pop*u*la*tion had al*ready been shocked in re*cent years by a ti*ny, par*a*sit*ic bug called the var*roa mite, which has de*stroyed more than half of some bee*keep*ers’ hives and dev*as*tat*ed most wild hon*ey*bee pop*u*la*tions.

Along with be*ing pro*duc*ers of hon*ey, com*mer*cial bee col*o*nies are im*por*tant to ag*ri*cul*ture as pol*li*na*tors, along with some birds, bats and oth*er in*sects. A re*cent re*port by the Na*tion*al Re*search Coun*cil not*ed that in or*der to bear fruit, three-quarters of all flow*er*ing plants — in*clud*ing most food crops and some that pro*vide fi*ber, drugs and fu*el — re*ly on pol*li*na*tors for fer*ti*li*za*tion.

Hack*en*berg, 58, was first to re*port Col*o*ny Col*lapse Dis*or*der to bee re*search*ers at Penn State Uni*ver*si*ty. He no*ti*fied them in No*vem*ber when he was down to about 1,000 col*o*nies — af*ter hav*ing started the fall with 2,900.

“We are go*ing to take bees we got and make more bees ... but it’s cost*ly,” he said. “We are talk*ing about ma*jor bucks. You can on*ly take so many blows so many times.”

One bee*keep*er who trav*eled with two truck*loads of bees to Cal*i*for*nia to help pol*li*nate al*mond trees found near*ly all of his bees dead up*on ar*ri*val, said Den*nis va*nEn*gles*dorp, act*ing state api*a*rist for the Penn*syl*va*nia De*part*ment of Ag*ri*cul*ture.

“I would char*ac*ter*ize it as se*ri*ous,” said Dan*iel Weav*er, pres*ident of the Amer*i*can Bee*keep*ing Fed*er*a*tion. “Whether it threat*ens the api*cul*ture in*dus*try in the Unit*ed States or not, that’s up in the air.”

Sci*en*tists at Penn State, the Uni*ver*si*ty of Mon*tana and the U.S. De*part*ment of Ag*ri*cul*ture are among the quick*ly grow*ing group of re*search*ers and in*dus*try of*fi*cials try*ing to solve the mys*tery.

Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM       
It so happens you're all in luck, once again! I AM a honeybee!!!
Proprietor of Propaganda
Gabby GaGa is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM       
Bee Flu.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM       
You should be worrying about the frogs instead. Worry about the frogs!!!! The frogs are dying.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM       
Fuck the frogs, they can take their croissants and shove them up their asses.

Oh wait, you mean the actual animal.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM       
Dude, keep up. The Frog mystery got solved about two years ago. It's an adaptation of a parasite that spreads itself only when ingested as food by birds. A strain of the parasite that messes with frog DNA and gives them deformities that make them have a much hardr time escaping birds has gained a distinct advantage over versions of the parasite that leave the frogs mobile.

While this is just as nasty for frogs, and just as hard on the food chain, it rules out the possability that some overall environmental change is making basic frog (infected or not) survival impossible. No canary in a coal mine with frogs, and possible avenues of research have been opened to help them out.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM       

:goddamnimold

Last edited by Cosmo Electrolux : Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: that's the honeybees from Gilliagans Island, youngun..
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM       
"You need usssssss!
You need ussssssss!"
-The Honeybees
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:26 PM       
I know, I know...I have that stupid song stuck in my head now!

here you go, Max...now it can be stuck in yoyur head too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKLIgqvhy-4