Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
DevilWearsPrada DevilWearsPrada is offline
Dogs Get Put Down
DevilWearsPrada's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Destroy
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM        Midnight Regulations
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/200811...ws/ynews_pl158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo
In what has become a kind of presidential right-of-passage, the president (or really, the federal agencies that answer to him) has been pushing through a series of last-minute regulations that have the force of law. Everything from pollution controls to family-leave standards can be set by these rules.....These de-facto laws are called "midnight rules" or "midnight regulations" because they happen at the end -- or midnight period -- of an administration. If the rules are published in the Federal Register by Friday, Nov. 21, they'll be very hard for President-elect Obama to reverse when he gets into office.

And that's the point. Sure, the administration had eight years to get a lot of this stuff accomplished. But according to senior research fellow at George Mason University, Veronique de Rugy, most midnight regulations "cater to special interests" and "that is why they are hurried into effect without the usual checks and balances."


...In recent days, the Bush administration announced new rules to speed oil shale development across 2 million rocky acres in the West. It scheduled an auction for drilling rights alongside three national parks. It has also set in motion processes to finalize major changes in endangered species protection, allow more mining waste to flow into rivers and streams, and exempt factory farms from air pollution reporting.
If what this says is true, bush may finally stage the fabled corporate coup that we've all been expecting
Reply With Quote
  #2  
HappyHamster HappyHamster is offline
Man Next Door
HappyHamster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM       
But its Saturday...November 22... isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
DevilWearsPrada DevilWearsPrada is offline
Dogs Get Put Down
DevilWearsPrada's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Destroy
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM       
heh, good catch.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
ZeldaQueen ZeldaQueen is offline
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the border of my Outer Circle of Thought
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM       
Why can't he just stay in Peru until Obama takes office? Why?
__________________
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Tadao Tadao is offline
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM       
Yes, Obama is the light at the end of our tunnel and will not fail us or do us wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
pac-man pac-man is offline
Oozes machismo
pac-man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The High Ground
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Yes, Obama is the light at the end of our tunnel and will not fail us or do us wrong.
Now you're coming around.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
ZeldaQueen ZeldaQueen is offline
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the border of my Outer Circle of Thought
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Yes, Obama is the light at the end of our tunnel and will not fail us or do us wrong.
Exactly!

Edit: It's not that I think that Obama's the end-all savior of our country. I know he's bound to have screw-ups too. But we've had Bush screwing up for the past eight years and I just am so tired of it I at least want someone else screwing up now.
__________________
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Last edited by ZeldaQueen : Nov 22nd, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Jeanette X Jeanette X is offline
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: in my burrow
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM       
*snip*

Double post.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Jeanette X Jeanette X is offline
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: in my burrow
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen View Post
Exactly!

Edit: It's not that I think that Obama's the end-all savior of our country. I know he's bound to have screw-ups too. But we've had Bush screwing up for the past eight years and I just am so tired of it I at least want someone else screwing up now.
I agree. Worst case scenario, Obama turns out to be Carter, well-intentioned but ineffective. I'll take that over Bush any day.

So did this get passed or what?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Kulturkampf Kulturkampf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM       
So Pres.l Bush is wrong for continuing to the very end?

Liberals reward the lazy with welfare... I guess they do no tsee hard work as a virtue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
pac-man pac-man is offline
Oozes machismo
pac-man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The High Ground
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM       
Oh, and George W. knows all about hard work.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Kulturkampf Kulturkampf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Oh, and George W. knows all about hard work.

Did you see the aging that occurred on him while being President?

I know Pres. Bush wasnt a prestigious community organizer but oh well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
pac-man pac-man is offline
Oozes machismo
pac-man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The High Ground
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM       
Because no president ages while in office.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Jeanette X Jeanette X is offline
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: in my burrow
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
So Pres.l Bush is wrong for continuing to the very end?

Liberals reward the lazy with welfare... I guess they do no tsee hard work as a virtue.
Typical. You can't defend the regulations on their own merits, so you construct a straw man argument, and a rather poor straw man at that, since he has taken the most vacation days of any sitting president.

Why do you still come here?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
ZeldaQueen ZeldaQueen is offline
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the border of my Outer Circle of Thought
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
So Pres.l Bush is wrong for continuing to the very end?

Liberals reward the lazy with welfare... I guess they do no tsee hard work as a virtue.
Dude, just because someone doesn't have a job doesn't mean that they're "lazy".

Ever read Les Miserables? The character Fantine's a very hard worker trying to support herself and her daughter. She's dirt poor because there's a social stigma against being a single mother. In today's world, she'd probably have been under welfare. Would you say she's lazy?
__________________
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Colonel Flagg Colonel Flagg is offline
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X View Post
[Dubya] has taken the most vacation days of any sitting president.
Carter - 79 days in 1 full term
Reagan - 335 days in 2 full terms
Bush I - 543 days in 1 full term
Clinton - 152 days in 2 full terms
Bush II - 418 days as of 8/7/2007 (532 days left in office)

Actually, Dubya doesn't hold a candle to his dad. However, he does make Ronald Reagan look like a workoholic.

Reference: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...sing_in_Action
__________________
The future is fun,
The future is fair.
You may already have won!
You may already be there.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
pac-man pac-man is offline
Oozes machismo
pac-man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The High Ground
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM       
That's why Bubba was getting BJs in the oval office- he didn't want to take a day off.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Jeanette X Jeanette X is offline
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: in my burrow
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Carter - 79 days in 1 full term
Reagan - 335 days in 2 full terms
Bush I - 543 days in 1 full term
Clinton - 152 days in 2 full terms
Bush II - 418 days as of 8/7/2007 (532 days left in office)

Actually, Dubya doesn't hold a candle to his dad. However, he does make Ronald Reagan look like a workoholic.

Reference: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...sing_in_Action
My apologies, I stand corrected.

Funny how the Democrats took the fewest, eh Kulturekampf?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Blasted Child Blasted Child is offline
Lethal fresco
Blasted Child's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM       
Let's be thankful Bush didn't spend more time in his office making decisions
__________________
I dream of houses
Reply With Quote
  #20  
ZeldaQueen ZeldaQueen is offline
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the border of my Outer Circle of Thought
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasted Child View Post
Let's be thankful Bush didn't spend more time in his office making decisions
Oy, what a thought.
__________________
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Dr. Boogie Dr. Boogie is offline
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Help, I'm lost!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
Did you see the aging that occurred on him while being President?
KK's ironclad argument for how he knows the president is a hard worker: he continues to age, despite being the president. Priceless.


It's good to have you back, KK.
__________________
Dr. Boogie: Everything is so simple when you have a rocket launcher for an arm!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 PM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.