Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:29 AM        Todays Youth Dont know how to play videogames.
Basically every wednesday at my school we go to one of the classrooms at lunch to play Video Games. It was my turn last yesterday, and wanting a break from that Piece of Overated shit Halo 2, I decided to bring my copy of Street Fighter 2 in hopes of a few good games and to hopefully dethrone Halo 2 as the game to play on wednesdays.

So with me being 17, and only owning the oldschool systems in my childhood, I figured that even if the rest of the regulars were only 2 years younger than me, they should be able to know how to play.

Immediatly I knew that they were dumbasses because of the fact that the majority didnt know what a Cartridge was except that it was something that you use in your GBA. So I figured that even the most simple of these morons knew how to at least throw a fireball.

The first match is up and its me against the self proclaimed master of Videogames. That little fucker is talking shit about how he beat me at Virtua Fighter a year ago (i have since gotten a lot better) so he feels that he i natually good at everything. So I start the game, we select our fighters (me playing as RYU and he, in all of his grand ignorance of this game, selects Ken).

The match is on and after 2 Fireballs (Hadokens), 3 Dragon Punches and One hurricane kick I win the round with a perfect in less than 20 seconds. Immediatly he starts bitchin and moaning about how I cheat and how "that flying uppercut thingy is illegal from now on because it is a cheat and is stupid and sucks"(that quote was immediatly followed by crying, kicking a wall and breaking his big toe and Running out of the room and screaming that I am a loser while he runs into the door and breaking his nose). Thinking that I may be too good at this, I just let them go at it. Immediatly I sense something wrong as I see Sagat Standing in place and kicking while Guile just jumps back and forth.

Now these guys arent the best at games, but I thought that it was common knowlege how to throw a fireball. I guess not, So I had to spend the whole lunch period giving tips like when you play as blanka, press the light punch button a lot really fast, or dont use Zangief because you cannot possibly do his special.

In the end, I realized that the reason why they didnt know what street fighter was is that the most popular games are ones that require little or no skill, just purely button mashers. The guys that come into the room just button mash, so any game that requires more than pushing a buttton over and over again is lost on them. Also, given their age and the fact that they came from wealthy families, they never played street fighter because of its age. While I come from a poor family in a poor neighbourhood grew up playing the nintendo while the dreamcast was released, I never got to play street Fighter unti 1998, and that was the most advanced game I had ever played at that time.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:34 AM       
are you honestly suggesting that street fighter isn't a button masher?
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:49 AM       
Yeah, if you want to be a chronic jerkface when you are fighting me, then go ahead and buttonmash.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:18 AM       
You're fat....and dumb

That was very funny. Well done.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM       
There's nothing wrong with Ken. He's cooler than Ryu and DPM is harder to do that QCF.
Staxeon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:46 AM       
Street Fighter isn't a button masher if you want to actually be good at it and not a lamer. Crouching and using light kick is an offense punishable by noogie (not the yoga noogie, a real one).

I'm in complete agreement. I'm a huge advocate of the coin-op arcade. I spent nearly all of my childhood and high school years playing and working part-time in an arcade. Nothing compares to that first month Mortal Kombat came and everyone was in complete awe.

But I'm a father now and wanted to pass on some of that gaming experience to my sons. We have a Gamecube so I got Soul Caliber, and literally 13 times out of 15 got my ass beat by an 8 year old. Button mashing. I went to Toys R Us and found one of those sega emulators, has 2 controllers and SF2 built in. I've been teaching them the basics since then. They almost have QCF down.

I'll be damned if my sons call themselves "gamers" and not know the roots like fireball, uppercut, or any charge move.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM       
i hate you people so much
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM       
dont talk shit about ken, and maybe bring sfa3 next time.....
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM       
Eye-Tie, if SF2 is a button-masher then so is GGX2 ;(

I think it's ironic that you picked Ryu and called HIM ignorant for picking Ken.

Jeff, quit being such an elitist bitch.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM       
I had a friend who claimed to be the best ever at Soul Calibre 2. He said he knew all the special moves and shit. I had never played it before in my lief and I beat him 5 times in a row by button-mashing.

Fighting games suck.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM       
sf2 is a butoon masher. sf3 is a little bit harder because if you mash buttons they can do parries and kick your butt. in sf2 you can just keep trhowing hadokens all the time

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM       
I hate fighting games they are for losers with high wrist endurance
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM       
what the fuck? how can you even COMPARE guilty gear with street fighter? there's only like two characters in street fighter who have have even a slightly complex moveset and at least three characters, Chun-li, Blanka, and E. Honda, are one hit wonders.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM       
mortal kombat trilogy 4eva!

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM       
Smash Brothers > Every fighting game mentioned in this thread
Legislacerator
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM       
except for guilty gear, obviously.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM       
Obviously.
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM       
SSB was great, but I got confused into thinking it was all mindless. Those tournys are ball-bashingly nuts.
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:59 PM       
I'm afraid when I have kids, games will be so easy and different, that it will take almost no skill to play.
Think of it this way though, in the early 80's games were a button and a stick or a knob. Then the control pad came to be and things changed dramatically. So it's natural for games to change again and people like us saying, "Man those kids wouldn't survive ten minutes in an arcade from our day." (Me being 20 and having spent most of my life playing coin ops, so I feel like I have a valid point) So it's basically natural evolution in a way
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
i hate you people so much
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggameover
dont talk shit about ken, and maybe bring sfa3 next time.....
Im not trying to talk shit about Ken, Hell he is better in some of the street fighter games than Ryu. I just like using Ryu's Super Flaming Hadoken (I have no idea what its called).

Also, If i did have SFA3, I would have kicked their asses with chun-li or Charlie.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM        Re: Todays Youth Dont know how to play videogames.
[quote="Jeff The Ninja"]

The match is on and after 2 Fireballs (Hadokens), 3 Dragon Punches and One hurricane kick I win the round with a perfect in less than 20 seconds. Immediatly he starts bitchin and moaning about how I cheat and how "that flying uppercut thingy is illegal from now on because it is a cheat and is stupid and sucks"(that quote was immediatly followed by crying, kicking a wall and breaking his big toe and Running out of the room and screaming that I am a loser while he runs into the door and breaking his nose).quote]

I know exactly how you feel. My friends bitch and complain when I school them with special moves and shit, and they can't be bothered to learn their special attacks (except for the Thousand Hand Slap, lightning kick, and electric shock). they fucking say that those are not special attacks, in their defense.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM       
What's your favourite character in SSB to use.
I use Ness, but then I can switch around and kick everyone's ass with Jigglypuff.