Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM        Hilary Clinton: "Kids these days!"
As someone who spent two years finding a permanent job after graduation, this incenses me to no end. Any respect I had for her has gone out the window.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/63643.htm

May 12, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton lashed out at the instant-gratification generation yesterday, saying young adults "think work is a four-letter word."

"Kids, for whatever reason, think they're entitled to go right to the top with $50,000 or $75,000 jobs when they have not done anything to earn their way up," the Dems' 2008 White House front-runner said.

"A lot of kids don't know what work is. They think work is a four-letter word," she told a Republican-leaning audience gathered at the annual U.S. Chamber of Commerce convention.

"We've got to send a different message to our young people. America didn't happen by accident. A lot of people worked really hard. They've got to do their part, too."

A young adult who Clinton knows well, daughter Chelsea, 26, started a six-figure consulting gig in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company after receiving her master's degree from Oxford in 2003.

The former first lady blamed cable TV, high-speed Internet, cellphones and iPods for creating a culture that "really argues against hard work. It's a culture that has a premium on instant gratification."

"You know, I grew up in a home with one TV set and we didn't get that right off the bat. It improved your negotiating skills because you had to argue about what channel you were going to watch, even though there were only three," Clinton said.

Her get-tough talk chastising a generation of spoiled brats will likely play well with heartland voters who cherish old-school values. But it may enrage her biggest fans: A recent poll found 62 percent of people 18 to 34 hold a favorable opinion of Clinton, highest of any age group.

Clinton urged parents and teachers to instill a work ethic in tech-savvy tots now in grammar school.

"We have to re-exert adult authority over the educational enterprise. We need to start early," she said.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:56 AM       
Yeah, why can't kids these days get their acts together and get a daddy who's an executive in the textile industry to send them to Wellesly and Yale?

Stupid bitch. I swear to God, I will vote Republican just despite her......
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:31 AM       
I think you meant to type "Just to spite her."
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM       
Thank god you corrected that
Mocker
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre X
I think you meant to type "Just to spite her."
Both! I'm that outraged!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM       
First of all, more young people are working now at an earlier age than any other generation since child labor laws came into effect, so its not that this generation is affraid of work.

Is she bitching because 20 year olds have a slightly unrealistic view of the world outside of college? Or because a percentage of them are actually pulling in those salaries?

I think the bigger problem is the stupid shit we spend our money on....but that would me she'd have to blame her generation (ie her base voting bloc) for raising us that way. She sure as hell isn't going to be putting us down for materialism.

And what did her parents think of her generation?
Mocker
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM       
Yeah, but Blanco, isn't it kind of funny that her main gripe about young people seemed the be all the STUFF we have??? I mean, she was addressing the CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.

"So young Americans, stop BUYING your iPods, PUT AWAY your credit cards, and start SAVING ALL THAT MONEY!"

Yeah, I'll bet that crowd would jump right behind that one.

She should be a bit more obvious with her pandering, the SOUTH DOESN'T LIKE YOU YET HILLARY, KEEP TRYING!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM       
Isn't a big part of the Democrats' strategy to pick up the young vote? Does she figure since it didn't help in 2004 she won't use it for 2008?

Or does she figure she can pander to everyone, no matter how many contradictory statements she has to make, and we all won't notice?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM        Re: Hilary Clinton: "Kids these days!"
Quote:
...A young adult who Clinton knows well, daughter Chelsea, 26, started a six-figure consulting gig in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company after receiving her master's degree from Oxford in 2003...
"Kids, for whatever reason, think they're entitled to go right to the top with $50,000 or $75,000 jobs when they have not done anything to earn their way up," the Dems' 2008 White House front-runner said.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:12 AM       
One of the kids in my Spanish class in high school (in Little Rock) talked about having Chelsea over for a slumber party when they were in junior high. She said something about no one liking her and locking her in a closet...

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:51 AM       
Interestingly, I agree with her on a lot of points.

I am a 'strong Republican.'
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM       
Yeah, I agree with the sentiment as well. You lazy fucks.
Mocker
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
Do you tell yourself this when you're drunk in the park getting blow jobs from a dog???

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
Do you tell yourself this when you're drunk in the park getting blow jobs from a dog???
Hey, I was like 14? 15? Not sure.

Now I have a girlfriend.

Such talk is... ABSURD! Hahaha.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM       
Just because the dog is female this time doesn't mean it's your girlfriend.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM       
I find nothing interesting about you finding common ground with Hillary. It makes perfect sense.

If the Democratic establishment runs her all they will be doing is making a money piniatta. And they are stupid enough to do it.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM       
She also blames videogames I'm sure. It worked for Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman in the 90s with Nintendergate.

I would be willing to vote for a woman, i'd be willing to vote for a democrat, I'd be willing to vote for a democrat woman.... just not THAT one.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM       
I find that sad that rather than sticking it to the Bush administration, she chooses to act like a bitter old hag instead, and go on some crazed rant, and alienate the young voters.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperwulf
I find that sad that rather than sticking it to the Bush administration, she chooses to act like a bitter old hag instead, and go on some crazed rant, and alienate the young voters.
Exactly.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM       
Why bother sticking it to the Bush administration? The whole thing is going down in flames as we speak; riding that wagon is just going to alienate people further. I think Hillary's on the right track by sticking to policy and looking toward the future (namely, 2008) but she's going about it in completely the wrong way.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM       
i liked anna quindlen's response: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3672527/
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:32 PM       
The Daily Show had a clip of Clinton giving another speech after being reprimanded by Chelsea in which she tried to explain that while she said that young people don't know what work is, she didn't mean that young people don't work hard.

I really, really hope there is a better Democratic candidate for president out there.

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM       
I think Hillary was referring to the young people who graduate with degrees in poetry and basket-weaving, and then bitch about how there aren't any high-paying jobs waiting for their them (since they are so highly skilled, afterall).
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM       
It's just too bad she had to go and make a sweeping generalization about the entire younger generation to make that point.

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:27 PM       
It's all the Republican Smear Machine.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!