Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Crazy dog woman
the Platinum Poppy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM       
I might be the only person who likes Superman Returns better than Singer's X-men-movies.

I hated how Singer changed Rogue. In the comic she's one of the toughest superheroes on the team, in the movie she's a mere damsel in distress. Presumably the X-men movies were "really" about homosexuality (at least lots of movie critiques claimed that) - well, in that case, why did they have to change Rogue's past, so that she's no longer the adopted daughter of a lesbian mutant couple?
And so many character's were introduced in such a short time that most of them ended up having one superpower and then top one personality trait - they never became persons. Plus their entire world looked pretty stupid, like our world beefed up by putting plastic sci-fi gadgets here and there. And everyone had ridiculos stiff leather costumes that looked like the last thing you'd like to wear in a fight.

SR had the advantage of featuring ONE superhero, who didn't even have to be introduced from scratch. No character were radically altered from the comic. The SR world is a slightly stylized version of ours, and looks great. And the love triangle of Superman, Lois and her boyfriend was SO much better than Wolverine-Cyclops-Jean. I mean, you can see why Lois found herself another guy, since Superman was gone for five years. She and Richard seems like they have a lot in common and are happy together. The whole thing makes sense!
While in the X-men, you have Cyclops who's defined by being boring and having laser eyes, and Jean Grey who's defined by alwas smiling seductively and being telekinetic, and Wolverine who's defined by being tough and having claws. And then they're supposed to be falling for each other. Okaaay...

The worst love traingle in any superhero movie ever, by the way, has got to be Spiderman 2 when Mary Jane suddenly runs off to marry some random guy just because Peter was late for dates. I mean seriously, in the real world that behaviour would qualify her for some serious psychiatric care.