Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:06 PM        LOL... Bush says Kerry will ban Bibles. NEW LOW.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ampaign_mail_2

I would like Ronnie to respond to this, if possible. Seriously... Is this in ANY way defensible?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:09 PM       
...defendable...

"Error deleting post?" Why can't we edit posts?

C'mon... editing is free! If database queries still cost I-mockery money, it should really change hosts... Seriously...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!

conus is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:38 PM       
I had the same problem last week. Tried to edit and it triple posted.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM       
Editing function is still broke.

I don't know whether to laugh or slam my head into the keyboard over this. I guess it'd be funnier if it seemed like Bush was losing and this was an act of desperation. Now it just seems like the umpteenth dirty attack meant to stir up the idiotic fanatic Christian camp.

I wonder if, near the end, there'll be a campaign ad that starts with "A world under Kerry..." and then shows an apocalyptic battlefield filled with baby's arms and gore.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM       
I have a friend who thinks exactly like this. Well... we've sort of drifted a part over the years because he thinks that a good time is playing Snakes & Ladders competitively.

He thinks that if gays are allowed to marry, the Bible will be declared hate literature soon after. The courts decided a few days ago to let gays marry in Manitoba. End of the world!
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM       
That truly is disgusting, but it has nothing to do with anything that Bush said. I don't like the man, but if he wasn't the guy to actually say it, then don't make it out like it was. That's how a flame war erupts.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
Editing function is still broke.

I don't know whether to laugh or slam my head into the keyboard over this. I guess it'd be funnier if it seemed like Bush was losing and this was an act of desperation. Now it just seems like the umpteenth dirty attack meant to stir up the idiotic fanatic Christian camp.

I wonder if, near the end, there'll be a campaign ad that starts with "A world under Kerry..." and then shows an apocalyptic battlefield filled with baby's arms and gore.
And all the churches of the country will be turned into abortion clinics where they use the fetuses in cannons to fire at enemy nations.
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM       
FIRE
__"Offff all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"Loook, its a signature.'why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?'CaboooseSports is dead, I'm his freakin ghost, deal with it.iThe following sentance is true....
The above statement was false....
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:20 AM       
Quote:
"There is a line drawn in America today," one ad says. "On one side are the radicals trying to uproot our traditional values and our culture. They're fighting to hijack the institution of marriage, plotting to legalize partial birth abortion, and working to take God out of the pledge of allegiance and force the worst of Hollywood on the rest of America."
THIS IS A DISTRACTION. REPEAT: THIS IS A DISTRACTION. PAY NO ATTENTION TO IRAQ. REPEAT: PAY NO ATTENTION TO IRAQ.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM       
I'm going to save Ronnie a knee-jerk Republican cheerleading reaction here.

"Sometimes the truth hurts."
=======

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
That truly is disgusting, but it has nothing to do with anything that Bush said. I don't like the man, but if he wasn't the guy to actually say it, then don't make it out like it was. That's how a flame war erupts.
Link to a copy of the mailer, only this one indicates these are being distributed in Arkansas as well... I'm sorry, but this thing might as well have "I'm George W Bush, and I approve of this message!" on the bottom of it. Dubya is the highest ranking member of the RNC, and this thing has HIS return address on it. If it's not him saying it, who is it?

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM       
Now that I have actually seen the evidence that it was, in fact, paid for by the Bush administration, and not some crazed psycho-Christian right wing propagandea machine, I can agree with you. I just didn't see the evidence in the other article.
=======

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM       
So NOW the main-stream press picks up on it...

RNC APPROVED

Still no support of this from Mr. Raygun?

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 02:08 PM       
Welcome to The New York Times on the Web!
For full access to our site, please complete this simple registration form.
As a member, you'll enjoy:

• In-depth coverage and analysis of news events from The New York Times FREE
• Up-to-the-minute breaking news and developing stories FREE
• Exclusive Web-only features, classifieds, tools, multimedia and much, much more FREE
• Do-It-Yourself enemas shipped directly to your door, complete with helpful illustrations FREE
• More spam than you'll know what to do with FREE
• A bathtub full of live, angry lobsters FREE
• Free FREE
• A discount on a Wendy's classic single at participating locations FREE
• A live hand grenade FREE
• Twelve dollars FREE
• A request for twelve dollars FREE
• A handsome tote bag NINETY-SIX DOLLARS
=======

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 02:54 PM       
SORRY!

September 24, 2004
Republicans Admit Mailing Campaign Literature Saying Liberals Will Ban the Bible
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

he Republican Party acknowledged yesterday sending mass mailings to residents of two states warning that "liberals" seek to ban the Bible. It said the mailings were part of its effort to mobilize religious voters for President Bush.

The mailings include images of the Bible labeled "banned" and of a gay marriage proposal labeled "allowed." A mailing to Arkansas residents warns: "This will be Arkansas if you don't vote." A similar mailing was sent to West Virginians.

A liberal religious group, the Interfaith Alliance, circulated a copy of the Arkansas mailing to reporters yesterday to publicize it. "What they are doing is despicable,'' said Don Parker, a spokesman for the alliance. "They are playing on people's fears and emotions."

In an e-mail message, Christine Iverson, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, confirmed that the party had sent the mailings.

"When the Massachusetts Supreme Court sanctioned same-sex marriage and people in other states realized they could be compelled to recognize those laws, same-sex marriage became an issue,'' Ms. Iverson said. "These same activist judges also want to remove the words 'under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance."

The mailing is the latest evidence of the emphasis Republicans are putting on motivating conservative Christian voters to vote this fall. But as the appeals become public, they also risk alienating moderate and swing voters.

An editorial on Sept. 22 in The Charleston Gazette in West Virginia, for example, asked, "Holy Moley! Who concocts this gibberish?"

"Most Americans see morality more complexly," the editorial said. "Many think a higher morality is found in Christ's command to help the needy, prevent war and pursue other humanitarian goals. Churchgoers of this sort aren't likely to believe childish allegations that Democrats want to ban the Bible."

In statement, Senator John Edwards, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, said President Bush "should condemn the practice immediately and tell everyone associated with the campaign to never use tactics like this again."

Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, called the mailings an ugly contrast to Mr. Bush's public statements. Although the president has called for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, he often emphasizes the need for tolerance as well.

"The president takes more or less the high road and his henchman and allies on the right have been let loose to conduct these ugly, divisive smear campaigns," Mr. Foreman said. "It is wedge politics at its worst."

In any event, the Bush campaign appears confident about its religious appeal.

The mailing seeks to appeal to conservative evangelical Protestant pastors and political leaders who say they worry that legal rights for same-sex couples could lead to hate-crimes laws that could be applied against sermons of Bible passages criticizing homosexuality.

Conservative Christian political commentators often cite the case of Ake Green, a minister in Sweden who was jailed in June for a month for a sermon denouncing gays as sinful.

Mr. Parker, of the Interfaith Alliance, said, "I think it is laughable to think that someone could be arrested for reading out loud from the Bible.''

But Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, argued, "We have the First Amendment in this country which should protect churches, but there is no question that this is where some people want to go, that reading from the Bible could be hate speech."

Still, Mr. Land questioned the assertion that Democrats might ban the whole Bible. "I wouldn't say it," he said. "I would think that is probably stretching it a bit far."

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

The Center Square
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM       
Notice how nobody from the GOP has apologized just yet, though.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:54 PM       
[/quote]Notice how nobody from the GOP has apologized just yet, though.
Quote:

But they will. They always do. After the damage is done.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM       
Wish this edit function worked.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:06 PM       
when i read the title of this thread i thought it said "LOL... Bush says Kerry will ban Babies. NEW LOW."
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
Quote:
Conservative Christian political commentators often cite the case of Ake Green, a minister in Sweden who was jailed in June for a month for a sermon denouncing gays as sinful.
That was in Sweden. SWEDEN!
The Center Square
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM       
Quote:
But Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, argued, "We have the First Amendment in this country which should protect churches, but there is no question that this is where some people want to go, that reading from the Bible could be hate speech."
Apparently "some people" = John Kerry, a Roman Catholic.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM       
Well that doesn't mean a damn thing, us Catholics aren't even real Christians, right Ronnie....?
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM       
Yeah us Catholics just burn in hell with the rest of the heathens.