Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM        Iraqi WMDs In Syria
Before I comment I would like to point out that both sides have it tough when it comes to proof.

I'd also like to point out that people are bad-mouthing Americans and saying that they cannot 'pick out countries on maps,' etc.

But I think those people have never really traveled the world thoroughly and really discussed politics with people -- people are idiots everywhere, you meet stupid from every country and in every place; saying the Americans are exceptionally stupid is ridiculous.

But on with it:

Quote:
What munitions? What mobile chemical trailers? Where are the weapons? What evidence do you have? Please link.
Iraqi trailer could have carried chemical and biological weapons lab.

It goes on:

"Tests of the trailer's surface areas have not detected biological agents and the vehicle appears to have been scrubbed with a caustic ammonia-like chemical, he said.

"It was pretty thoroughly washed," he said.

But it was similar in configuration and design to mobile biological agent laboratories that US intelligence learned about before the war from an Iraqi scientist, he said.

It had a fermenter, gas cylinders to supply clean air for production and a system to capture and compress exhaust gas to eliminate any telltale signature - a function not normally used for legitimate biological processes, Cambone said. "

The idea was that there really was a bio-chemical weapons lab that was mobile; it seems suspicious and very smart of Hussein.

There was a second mobile lab even found in Northern Iraq (Mosul), and authorities noted again "U.S. and British experts have concluded that the trailer "does not appear to perform any function beyond what the defector says it was for, which is the production of biological agents," Cambone said. " (This time from CNN)

It had to be declassified by Sen. Santorum apparently, but it finally came out that there was in fact some bio-chemical munitions in Iraq:

Reading from a declassified portion of a report by the National Ground Intelligence Center, a Defense Department intelligence unit, Santorum said: "Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent. Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq's pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, filled and unfilled pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist." (Fox)

The items were apparently degraded, but specific dates on these items were not provided and the chemical agents still could have posted lethal threats and converted into weapons use. When we are talking about deadly c hemicals, we should try not to mess around.

I enjoy how upon the discovery of these munitions it suddenly is claimed that these were 'the wrong munitions,' but regardless, I never thought there were some mysterious 'right munitions' that were described.

What are the right munitions and where were they described?

We do know that Iraq rebuilt chemical weapons factories that we suspect would add to his inventory after the 1998 inspections.

And if we want to talk about Syria, I have this to say:

It is interesting to research the notion of Iraq moving its' chemical weapons to Syria. I found a very interesting piece of information from 'Insight On The News':

Quote:
On Dec. 24, 2002, nearly three months before fighting in Iraq began, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon accused Saddam Hussein's regime of transferring key materials for his weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs to Syria in convoys of 18-wheel trucks to hide them from U.N. weapons inspectors. "There is information we are verifying, but we are certain that Iraq has recently moved chemical or biological weapons into Syria," Sharon told Channel Two television in Israel.
Take a look at a clip from the Newsmax article:

Quote:
"I am absolutely sure that Russian Spetsnatz units moved WMD out of Iraq before the war," stated John Shaw, the former deputy undersecretary for international technology security.

According to Shaw, Russian units hid Saddam's arsenal inside Syria and in Lebanon's Bekka valley.

"While in Iraq I uncovered detailed information that Spetsnatz units shredded records and moved all WMD and specified advanced munitions out of Iraq to Syria and Lebanon," stated Shaw during an exclusive interview.

"I received information from several sources naming the exact Russian units, what they took and where they took both WMD materials and conventional explosives. Moscow made a 2001 agreement with Saddam Hussein to clear up all Russian involvement in WMD systems in Iraq," stated Shaw.

Shaw's assertions match the information provided by U.S. military forces that satellite surveillance showed extensive large-vehicle traffic crossing the Syrian border prior to Operation Iraqi Freedom.
It goes on to even note that there had been a history of the Russians supplying to the Iraqis valuable weapons:

Quote:
Shaw's information also backs allegations by a wide variety of sources of Russia's direct involvement in Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program. One U.N. bioterrorism expert announced that Russia has been Iraq's "main supplier of the materials and know-how to weaponize anthrax, botulism and smallpox."

Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Robert Goldberg cited former U.N. weapons inspector Richard Spertzel, who stated that Moscow supplied Baghdad with fermentation equipment to produce biotoxins.
Russia has been fundamental in supply:

Quote:
Iraq did most of its WMD killing using Russian-made MiG and Sukhoi aircraft equipped with chemical sprayers...

Iraq obtained Russian delivery systems and the same inventory of Russian-made chemical weapons at the same time. Iraqi SU-22 Fitter attack jets were armed with Warsaw Pact-designed bombs filled with chemical weapons. Iraq used these Russian jet fighters to drop chemical weapons on Iranian troops during the Iran-Iraq war.
It also reminds me of the time that I read Russia aided the Iraqi military by providing plans detailing the invasion.

I read another article from the Telegraph to see more substantiating the notion that the weapons may have moved to Syria and found this quotation from David Kay, the former head of the committee to find the WMDs in Iraq:

Quote:
"We are not talking about a large stockpile of weapons," he said. "But we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD programme. Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved."
It is also interesting to note that there are others who harbor this theory, a lot of others, including the former Chief of the Israeli Defense Force from 2002 to 2005, General Yaalon in a NY Sun article.

But to be fair, even though it has been admitted that there has been weapons traffic across the borders, non-supporters point out:

Quote:
Although Syria helped Iraq evade U.N.-imposed sanctions by shipping military and other products across its borders, the investigators "found no senior policy, program, or intelligence officials who admitted any direct knowledge of such movement of WMD." Because of the insular nature of Saddam Hussein's government, however, the investigators were "unable to rule out unofficial movement of limited WMD-related materials." (WashingtonPost)
Overall, I think there are more than strong reasons to believe that if one were to dig around enough in Syria you could get to the bottom of this, but I am certain that for years no one will ever get the chance.

Since Hussein could not win the war, he knew that he would need to make an attempt to win the more long term political battle through beridding himself of the risky elements to his regime that would have validated his overthrow. His only shot at saving face in the eyes of the political world would be to get rid of the weapons as best as he could, striking a very large political victory for himself.

His only victory could be political, and knowing en avance the pressure that he faced I wager he got rid of his weapons as soon as he possibly could have when the pressure was put upon him for the second time.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM       
You need sleep and detoxification.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:07 AM       
I can't say i disagree. I mean geeze we gave them a LOT of time to hide everything. A coworker of mine has a brother who has to scrub down some of that crap in iraq with the pregulf war sarin and mustard gasses.

I'm going to go verify the quotes and look into this but so far this seems to be a very good and starkly intrigueing post to say the least.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM       
I would like to discuss it -- Iawait your reply.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM       
Saddam is gone. What would've been Syria's political motivation to take on those weapons, especially since we invaded one country already to find them?

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Saddam is gone. What would've been Syria's political motivation to take on those weapons, especially since we invaded one country already to find them?
Syria's political motivation was to make the US look absurd in not finding the weapons, being that Syria was one of the countries that was trying to avoid the war. They wanted them to look as if the US was very wrong and to discredit the US on an international, political level.

Syria doesn't fear invasion -- it hasn't invaded their neighbors and they have been playing diplomatic games well lately (even withdrawing from Lebanon).

They have nothing to lose because moving chemicals across a border in trucks is not difficult to do, and they have no threat of invasion and even if they were invaded, they would deny they knew anything about it being that the borders are very porous, as shown by Jihadis pouring across the borders right after the 2003 invasion.

They gain an international political victory at no price, and theoretically secure themselves a better position to do what they want if the US is discredited.
Mocker
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM       
You're clueless.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore

Ooh, I know, I know!!
Mocker
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM       
They only support Hezbollah in spirit, ask their U.S. ambassador.
Mocker

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM       
But Syria's rates are cheaper then the other U-store-It's in the area.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM       
You do not even explain yourself.

What is your deal?

Talk about this. Let's discuss it.
Mocker
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM       
Are you breaking up with me?

I find it unlikely that WMDs were transported to Syria, although I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

I think if anything was moved, it was probably minor, crude, and not even 1% of what the Bush team claimed they had there.
Mocker

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM       
I think there's a good chance something was moved into Syrian control. They have a large bio-chemical program, and they've been associated with threats of a chemical nature. If it happened, the story is they're in underground bunkers or tunnels of some sort and arrived with a cash payment from Saddam. The other scenario is that sometime between gassing the Kurds, and giving UN inspectors the slip, they actually dismantled and disposed of the program properly without letting on. Every few months there's a new discovery in Iraq that's supposed to blow the lid open on the truth of Saddam's WMD...then we never hear much.

There's not much else to say about it.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM       
Wat do you think of the evidence pointing towards transportation to Syria?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM       
What do you think of the evidence pointing toward your need for sleep and detoxification?

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
What do you think of the evidence pointing toward your need for sleep and detoxification?
I will follow this more closely.