Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:50 PM        Question for you (Professional) Web Designers
This is I-Mockery, I figure there has to be a couple of people here who design websites professionally.

How much do you charge to design websites? If you were advising a beginning web designer on pricing, how much would you suggest s/he charge to start with?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM       
Though I can't claim to be a professional web designer I think it depends how good your portfolio is. When you're starting out you're going to have to accept slightly lower rates - possibly a few hundred dollars for the whole site (assuming it's not too big).

Once you reach around 9-12 good quality sites you can begin to charge quite a bit more and probably adjust your pricing model to incorporate a costing per page/per custom graphic etc.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM       
Most people charge $500-600 at the base for a simple site with nothing fancy, all of the content provided, and only a few pages.

Flash, databases, sorting out domains and hosting, designing logos, and creating other content all cost extra. Those prices are all variable, but there it's easier to charge people what they can afford over the base price as long as it'll be worth your time.

I think a good formula is $500 base plus $50/hr for anything extra. $100/hr if you're doing it for a corporation.

Slinky Ferret is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM       
I think it depends what people want from the site. If they just want a "one page wonder" then it's a one off lump sum. Don't forget to include hosting and maintenance fees, that way you still have money for any problems that occur!

I think you need to estimate how much time you will spend and work out a flat rate per hour. That's what I do anyway. Also, make yourself stick to the path and don't stray it's so easy to think oh if I did it this way it would look really cool. I've managed to waste so much time at work recently and it's just not worth it if they're not paying much!