Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Forum Virgin
Punkster_Fx is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM        I hate prog rock
Progressive rock sucks.

Have any prog rock fans considered cultural signifigance when picking their greatest favorite bands? None of the albums progressive rock band have made even the slightest impact on music.

Yes is no Beatles. Rick Wakeman is no Carl Perkins. Bad Religion is no Rolling Stones. The fact that some people even mention the likes of Incubus and Smashing Pumpkins in debates over great rock bands have got me scratching my head here. And then there's the slowtards naming modern post-hardcore albums as the GREATEST EVER. Un-fuckin-believable.

Let me put it in terms you nerds can understand. Mario is, without a doubt, the greatest video game character ever. Why? Because of his impact on the culture. Scrooge McDuck may be way cool, but Ducktales didn't start a phenomenon.

Learn your Rock N Roll history.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM       
There's always Eloy, Van Der Graaf Generator, Grobschnitt, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, and Klaatu.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster_Fx View Post
Have any prog rock fans considered cultural signifigance when picking their greatest favorite bands?.
This is the gayest statement ever, sir

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM       
gah, tangerine dream? f*ck. eyah, a real great band, completely ruined every movie they ever did a soundtrack for.
Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM       
Oh oh oh and esuohlim, maybe if you actually put any thought into any music that you liked you'd realize that punk- and I mean real punk- has a great amount of culteral significance
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM       
Pink Floyd was prog and they have a lot of influence and cultural impact on rock culture also Realtionship of Command by At The Drive-In is one of the greatest albums ever and is modern post-hardcore. unless by modern you are talking about bands that all the self-proclaimed "emo" kids love and appear on the cover of Alternative Press.
Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM       
Take the Romones, for example. The Ramones are indeed the greatest punk band ever, simply because they are the greatest American band since the 50's. And certainly the most influential band since the Beatles.

These bands people talk about. Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Dead Milkmen, they all appropriated the low brow aesthetic from the Ramones. I'd venture to say that if you've made a rock record since 1976 and it doesn't have some Ramones influence, it probably sucks.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM       
I'll be the first to tell you that the music I listen to sucks. If I don't have a problem with it I don't think anyone should.

Except the people who are in the room with me while I'm playing it.

And we can say "fuck" here btw

Forum Virgin
Pink Floyd is composed entirely of overthought, pretentious, drawn-out wnakery
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Quote:
Oh oh oh and esuohlim, maybe if you actually put any thought into any music that you liked you'd realize that punk- and I mean real punk- has a great amount of culteral significance
"real punk" sir you are a wanker of epic proportions.
also "culteral significance" is kind of ironic
Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:36 PM       
Of course you don't have a problem with you music, you don't think
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM       
MCDONALDS HAS CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE TOO, AM I ALLOWED TO HATE IT?

Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM       
Ironic? IRONIC? Sh*t/

Real punk bands have had more impact on world culture than any other kind of music, like with the Stooges

Before 1968 there was no real RAW rock n roll. The Stooges did that. Really, the Stooges came from almost nothing. You can hear the early rock influence, but nobody ever took it to such an extreme. These guys were bent on having the most fucked up rock group in history, but they did so in a completely uncalculated way. There was no planning or posturing. This was the world's first real artistic band. This is the antithesis of progressive rock. No bs intellectualism, just pure emotion. Lustful, angry, and stupid. Ugly as sin, but sexy as hell. This band is real.

The Stooges make the Who look like Danny and the Juniors. They brought about an entirely differant form of expression in music. One that's taken for granted now. Without the Stooges, punk rock wouldn't exist. Every member of the Ramones has made it clear that their biggest influences were the Stooges and the New York Dolls. Their influence is undeniable on great music.

And these are stated as facts because they are indeed facts. Get yourself some Stooges records and you'll understand where the rawness that spawned punk rock originally comes from.
Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM       
And yes, you should hate McDonalds, if you have any taste.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM       
I also like Oingo Boingo and Phish :]

Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM       
There's a difference between good significance and bad significance. If you'd read milton, you'd know that
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM       
Quote:
And yes, you should hate McDonalds, if you have any taste.
YES BUT HAVE YOU CONSIDERED CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE WHEN PICKING YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS?

Forum Virgin
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM       
Restaraunts don't change worlds.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM       
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE WHEN STARTING THIS THREAD?

IT DIDN'T MAKE MUCH OF AN IMPACT WHEN IT WAS CREATED, SO IT MUST SUCK

I GUESS WE CAN SHUT IT DOWN THEN

Closed Thread