Editorials

The Geek Hierarchy
by: Protoclown

There are many different categories of Geekdom out there, many of which I can count myself a member. But with so many different varieties out there, how is one to know which is more socially acceptable than the other? How are geeks to know which other geeks to shun and which to look up to? It can all be a bit confusing, which is why I've put together this handy dandy "Geek Hierarchy" for you, illustrating which geekdoms are more socially acceptable than others. Hopefully, after reading this list, you'll know which geeks to tip your hat to and which to turn your nose up at, and you can thus avoid any embarrassing faux pas. Please note that this is based on years of scientific research and can in no way be factually incorrect. You've seen lists like this before, but never one this detailed, or right.


The Music Geek

Undisputed King of the Geek World, the Music Geek is without a doubt the most socially acceptable. For some reason you can be totally obsessed with going to music store after music store looking for that rare Australian-only single release by your third favorite indie band, and nobody's going to think you're weird or "eccentric" for doing so. This geekdom is the "coolest" because it does not repel women, and many of these geeks actually go out in public regularly to see bands perform, so they tend not to be socially awkward hermits.


The Film Geek

This is another geekdom that most people are comfortable with (unless you are Harry J. Knowles), because nearly everybody likes to watch movies. Even if you like movies so much that you own over 1,000 DVDs and you get so excited you hyper-ventilate when you talk about movie trivia, odds are you're still cooler than many of the other geeks on this list. Movies tend to be a social activity you can enjoy with friends, and true film geeks are always in the theater on opening night for whatever next big blockbuster is hitting the big screen (they will never wait for DVD), so at least it gets them out of the house. They can talk about the new Indiana Jones flick and most people will understand (and possibly even be interested) in what they're talking about. TV geeks (i.e. people who obsessively talk about "LOST") also fall into this category.


The Video Gamer

You've come a long way, baby. Video games went from being cool to nerdy and back around to cool again, what with the last several generations of game consoles with realistic graphics and ultra-violent games. These days everyone likes video games, from cro-mag frat boys to stuttering, sweaty middle-aged nerds who have never known the touch of a woman outside of "accidentally" brushing up against them at the mall, to thirteen-year-old girls who have communicated more words via cell phone texting than they have actually spoken aloud. Hell, even older generations are now getting into the video game craze with developers like Nintendo making titles that appeal to all ages. Video games have never been cooler.


The Sports Geek

If I had my druthers, these guys would be closer to the bottom of the list, but society apparently still thinks it's okay to paint your nipples blue and dress like a chicken, cow, or some other beast of the animal kingdom to show support for your favorite team. These are the guys who speak mostly in grunts and can't add together the change in their pocket, and yet somehow can rattle off scores and statistics of their favorite players like they actually know what numbers are used for. TV cameramen love to show these guys during televised sporting events, and somehow most people seem to overlook the fact that they look and act like idiots, just so long as they support the team. It's one of the great mysteries of life.


The Comic Geek

Hey, I'm not just ranking them this high on the list because I am one (hell, I fall into the next three categories too), but comic books have become far more acceptable over the past decade or so. It could be that the San Diego Comic-Con gets exponentially bigger every year and threatens to devour the planet like Galactus, or it could be the past decade of mostly decent comic book blockbuster movies that have put comic book characters back into the collective consciousness. Maybe it's mainstream shows like "Heroes" that have sparked up interest, or cool, mature books like "Preacher" and "Y – The Last Man" that have brought people into the fold. One way or the other, the Comic Book Guy on "The Simpsons" doesn't seem nearly as relevant as he used to. Sure, there are still plenty of guys like that in the fandom who threaten to give comic readers a bad name, but they make up a far smaller percentage than they used to.


The Sci-Fi Geek

Nearly neck-and-neck with the comic geek is the Sci-Fi Geek. At one time composed primarily of embarrassing Star Trek and Dr. Who fans, in the early 80s it suddenly became cool to like sci-fi after a little group of movies called the Star Wars trilogy came out. Fast forward twenty years and add some horribly stupid decisions by George Lucas, and suddenly it's an embarrassment to be a Star Wars fan but now considered cool to be into Star Trek and Dr. Who. With other great shows like Battlestar Galactica and Firefly, science fiction is no longer the sole province of male virgins, having attracted quite a few nerdy women as well. It's still really really dorky however to like Babylon 5 (and I do).


The Toy Geek

Most people still think that toys are just for kids, even though the toy companies realized a while ago that they can make far more money by producing unarticulated toys that amount to little more than plastic statues of the most obscure characters imaginable and market them to "collectors". Few outside other geekdoms can understand why a thirty-year-old man obsessively collects every cool looking classic Optimus Prime figure he can get his hands on, to fulfill some deep-seated need to honor his childhood hero, the toy of whom he asked for every single Christmas and birthday year after year, but somehow never received and had to make Grimlock the Autobot leader instead when he played with his Transformers because he was the highest ranking Autobot he owned, or at least the pushiest. So, um, yeah. Toy geeks.


The Role-Playing Geek

There's a certain type of role-playing geek that embarrasses most other role-playing geeks, and those types can be found actually playing inside stores that primarily sell role-playing games. When you walk into such a place and your glasses fog up from the miasma of hot B.O., when you hear the hooting, staccato laughter that sounds like a baboon being anally violated with a boulder, and when you notice a cloak draped over the chair behind someone excitedly standing to make a big production out of rolling dice, you will know you have encountered the type of geek I am talking about. They give all of us a bad name. I firmly believe (hope) that most tabletop RPG experiences mirror my own: a group of friends gets together to bullshit about various things and eat snacks, and oh, maybe roll a few dice along the way and not take things too seriously.


The War Reenactor

For some reason, there is some unknowable thing that compels certain people to get together, dress in old war uniforms, and stand on a grassy hill for hours, only to have all this waiting culminate in their falling over and playing dead. I have never understood this, and I never will. Everybody already knows how it's going to turn out, so I fail to see where the enjoyment comes from. What's really scary is when whole families get together and reenact a war (because I'm sure that's historically accurate). In the southern states I'm quite certain there are many Civil War Reenactors on the Rebel side who are hoping to pull out a surprise victory this time in their little fake war.


The Otaku

I enjoy some anime. I've even been to a few cons, which is one of the main reasons why I haven't actually bothered to check any new anime in the better part of a decade. Because of the Otaku. Also, because I haven't had the time, but that's not nearly so interesting. The anime con has already been dealt with in far more detail than I'm prepared to cover here. If you've been to an anime convention, you understand what it's like to be bowled over by the stench as soon as you set foot in the venue; you know all too well that you will see lots of rather abundantly large people trying to squeeze into skimpy, form-fitting costumes. You know the pain of hearing a guy with heaving, sweaty breasts and a shrill, girly voice who knows all of three Japanese words trying to speak like he's fluent in the language, and the guy who does not let his lumberjack beard deter him from dressing up like a sailor scout. You know how most of the cosplayers at such a con make the geeks at comic conventions look like the Cool Kids whose table in the cafeteria you dared not approach, even the guy with the paunchy belly wearing the homemade Metamorpho costume.


The MMORPG Player

A relatively new phenomenon, the Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Gamer came on the scene and suddenly bumped the tabletop Dungeons & Dragons geeks up a few notches. I have never played one of these games, nor do I intend to, because I have seen too many people have their entire lives sucked away, packing on the pounds as their life becomes more and more sedentary, and the only news they have to share with me involves virtual quests. I have heard the hushed rumors of "poopsocking" and I know that someone out there must have tried it, sure as I know that any fucked up thing you can conceive of has been tried before and there's probably a pay site somewhere on the internet about it. At least D&D involves a group of friends getting together in person and actually socially interacting with one another, while MMORPGs have forty-year old guys getting into online arguments with fifth graders over how they're going to split their virtual treasure.


The Band Geek

Has there ever been an instance in all of history where a marching band did not sound like shit? I've never understood what compels some people who want to learn an instrument to dress like a goober and march around at sporting events. I mean, hell, I've got nothing against brass instruments at all, but in this context they sound like the sad, pitiful wails of the dead. Some people really get into this kind of thing. Maybe they had a choice between taking Band or Home Ec and they figured this was a better choice? Well, it's not.


The Ren Faire Geek

I've been to a Ren Faire and there's nothing inherently wrong with them, I suppose, but there's a certain type of person they attract who will embarrass everyone within a 50-yard radius of them, with their sad medieval garb and practiced "milady" faux British accent that suggests they probably act like this under normal circumstances. These people have a little too much trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, yet still have no problem incorporating modern conveniences like indoor plumbing into their delusion. I've no problem with people who work at these Faires and have to get into "character" to do so, but there's a certain type of Faire-goer who simply takes things too far.


The LARPer

Even sadder than the MMORPGers are the LARPers, or Live-Action Role Players. These are the imagination-impaired geeks for whom sitting at a table and rolling dice just isn't enough. No, they're only satisfied if they can don a wizard robe over their pudgy frame and run around shouting "lightning bolt", throwing nerf darts at guys wearing orc masks that look like they were picked up at Wal-Mart. I think the worst part about LARPers is that many of them strike poses indicating that in their own delusional minds, they feel that they must somehow appear to be "badass". Unfortunately the message these poses actually seem to be conveying is "Please take my lunch money".


The Furry

One pastime that society will perhaps never understand is dressing up in animal suits and not going to work your shift at a theme park or sporting event, but rather getting together with a bunch of other people in animal suits and hanging out. Maybe there's sex involved, and maybe there isn't. I've known some furries, and hell, I've been friends with a few, but they're not the type who dress up in ridiculous costumes or think that their soul is actually a fox's trapped in the body of a human. Even they think the people who dress up like this are fucking crazy. And if the above picture is any indication, for some people dressing up in animal suits is apparently not enough, no, they have to strap on swords and go hunt orcs and goblins with their nerf arrows, combining two bottom-barrel geekdoms into something new that I'd rather not even think about.


The Fanfic Writer

The lowest form of geek, the Fanfic Writer saves the Enterprise, defeats Darth Vader, and beds Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a weekly basis. Many of them "uncover" the true homosexual relationship between two male characters, but the worst offenders are the ones who insert themselves into the story, living vicariously through their characters because they have absolutely no life whatsoever. Ubiquitous on the internet, they have no real social grouping outside of its "tubes", so there is no way to actually identify them in public. Anyone you meet could be a potential fan fiction writer. Perhaps even you could be a fanfic writer and not even know it! (If I had scary music this is where it would be playing).

So that pretty much sums up the geek list. Maybe you don't agree with all of it. Hell, I don't agree with all of it, but society makes the calls, not me. There's no shame in recognizing yourself on this list. After all, there's bound to be somebody on it worse off than you. Unless you're a fanfic writer, in which case, nothing I can say will console you, but maybe you could work me in as a villain and kill me off in your next story.

If you enjoyed this piece, be sure to check out:


McDonald's Ad Campaigns Through the Years

Reader Comments

Fanboy
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:31 AM
...the hooting, staccato laughter that sounds like a baboon being anally violated with a boulder- oh God, how I know and hate that sound.

Great article. I agree with your order. As the article makes clear, the respective positions change with social trends. But it will be a cold day in Hell before I allow furries and fanfickers to become cool. Those guys are just sick, man.
OH GOD
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
what about message board nerds, pretty low on the scale right

and is the music nerd a picture of deadendz
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
My friends and I stopped hanging out with a guy because he fell in with the furry crowd. I hesitate to call them a geek though, it is insulting to geeks. I actually rank them about equal with the trenchcoat guy who goes to those run down porno theaters. From everything I have heard from this guy I used to hang out with it is just an excuse for geeks to get laid. And yes, he combines it with LAARPing (which I also don't really get).

I do however fall into more than one of the other categories on the list. :P
Last of the Time Lords
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I count myself as a member of 3/16 of those groups (Comic Books, Sci-Fi, Tabletop RPGs) and all I can say is you got us dead to rights.

As for the other groups, I at least know some people who could be considered members of all of them, and that seems pretty accurate too.

And I know one man, let us call him Bob, who is a member of every single group on that list. If he is coming, flee for your life. You'll know he is on his way because of the way the smell makes your earwax melt.
From the Home of MST3K
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm surprised, yet pleased, that you dug deep into the depths to find something to shove under furry.

Thankfully most furries also have another sort of geekdom, and those individuals can find some happiness and fulfillment in life, however rarely.
lurking on the walls
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
my girlfriend is a somewhat fanfic writer, her stories are amazing and well written, look up mikalockheart on www.fanfiction.net and you'll see what i mean. as for me, i'm a comic book and videogame geek
GoldMember
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Good list, I'm not really a geek about anything, just likes me some good ol' video games sometimes.
About the furries, I mean, I like the antro sorta style some of their art has, but that's all really, I mean, dressing up like that? That is sorta weird...
More bordering on the insane really.
Great article still man.
Member
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
<--Music geek, Video gamer geek, and MMORPG geek. Very accurate list. GJ
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I admit it, I was a Civil War reenactor for a short time when I was stationed in South Carolina. The majority are perfectly normal, intelligent people. But you are right, Protoclown, there are a disturbingly large number of them, especially among the southerners, who would love nothing more than to load up some live ammo and refight the war. And yes, there were several instances of southern units changing the outcome of battles so that they won. After hearing spectators laugh and say "this is a fucking joke" for about the third time, I called it quits.

By the way, they call themselves "Living Historians", which is hilarious on so many levels!
drifting in the void
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Let´s see...Videogame-Geek and Ex-MMORPG. But since when are Video Games regarded as cool? Ah wait...in the U.S. they are for sure.
Over here in Germany Videogames and Videogamers tend to be stigmatized...because we are all bad people who are out to hurt other people and train for doing so with Videogames...yeah, sure. And as far as I have experienced...most Women don´t like it. :D
Forum
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
So the sports geeks can rattle of stats AND statistics? That's pretty amazing, considering that they're the same fucking thing. Why, next you'll tell us that the film geek can tell you about many films and also movies.
Retardedly Handsome
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I was in band, but I was in the Drumline. This could actually be worse though because we developed this sort or elitist idea about ourselves and declared independence from the band. And I'll always have stories that start with "This one time at band camp..."
¿
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
oof card games dont even make the list. Haha take that Yugi!
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Nowadays, I'm just a film geek, but in the past I've been:
Video Gamer
Comic Geek (I only read Jonah Hex these days, so I don't think I still count here)
Sci-Fi Geek
Band Geek
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Nice list. The lowest I've ever been on this list is MMORPG player and that was back in the day when Ultima Online came out, so it was even less cool than it is now. Other than that I'm also a music/film/comic/sci-fi/RPG geek and videogamer. I don't think I count as Otaku even though I enjoy anime and manga since I
1)shower regularly
2)never cosplayed

I'd also like to propose rising Otakus a bit higher, or alternatively lowering the comic geek status. From what I've seen on all kinds of cons the otaku geekdom tends to have more female members than the comic geekdom. And we all know that having an uterus automatically makes you cool.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Mar 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hey, awesome list. I totally agree with the top few (you really can't make fun of the music geeks), and I'm brought small vestiges of happiness upon seeing film geek up there as well. Also, love the description for the fan fic writers; I write those things and I was still laughing my ass off.

But come one, the furry rank is too low. We deserve to at least be above the Ren Faire geeks. We're nice guys, really (and not all of us dress up in full fursuit). Of course, that's just me defending my geek-rank. Apart from that, excellent list.
Spiteful Jerk
Mar 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Lore Sjöberg actually did a flow chart called "the Geek Hierarchy" on the Brunching Shuttlecocks.

Harry Knowles looks like an Irish Sasquatch.

MMOs aren't that bad, really. You just gotta find one that's not populated entirely by awful jackasses.

Oh! I just remembered a furry I went to college with! He was the type of guy who threw around terms like "fursecution" without a hint of irony. He seriously claimed I was as bad as the Nazis because I thought he was ridiculous for thinking he's an anthropomorphic wolf. Also, he was really greasy and squint-eyed and had a really greasy, quint-eyed, fat girlfriend. I'm sure they painted themselves up like wolf-people and had greasy, squint-eyed, probably paint-smeared sex. Ugh.
MY NEW HERO IS U.S
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
what no bike geeks??? I'm offended
Ancient Mariner
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
TOP TWO, MOTHERFUCKERS

BOW BEFORE ME!
Pickled Patriarch
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
what no bike geeks??? I'm offended
Heheh, yeah I said he also needed to add in the fitness/health geeks who know the EXACT calorie count of every piece of food they eat and wouldn't dare go over their daily intake allowance.

Willie is right too, message board/internet geeks would be another good addition.

I also think knitting/craft geeks should be on there, or perhaps just art geeks to be more all-encompassing.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Let's see my Geekdoms are...

Well, I'm an Otaku first and foremost. One with good hygene, that doesn't dress like a character that I should never dress as, but an Otaku none the less!

I'm also a Movie Geek, but I'm the "elitist" kind of movie-geek that doesn't like the same movies as everyone else.

I'm a definite Comic Geek, but I never really got into "Superhero Comics". I read pretty much everything else.

I tried to get into Table-Top RPGs but my friends just weren't into it. So, I had nobody to play with. (BTW you forgot Card-Game RPGs)

And, (are you ready for this) I am, and I will freely admit it, one of those dreaded Fan-Fiction Writers you mentioned! In fact, here's my profile, which reveals a whole lot of other geeky interests. I do NOT write "self-inserts" however. That, would just be a little too far into the abyss.

BTW Furries may be geeky now, but what about in the future after they perfect genetic engineering (allowing them to actually become anthropomorphic animals!)?
Member
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Lets see here. Looks like I fall under Video Gamer, Table-top geek, and MMORPG. And I don't give a damn how socially acceptable it is.
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Great list, agree for the most part.

Music geeks definitely get off easy. I suppose I fall into the Video Game geek category. I enjoy films, comics, and sci-fi, but on a more casual level.

The only disagreement I have is that you ranked MMO players too low, and Tabletop RPG players too high. If you are talking with people, and you say "I play WoW," you are going to get off much easier than if you say "I play DnD."
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hey, what about "Tech Geeks"?

You know, the guys that go nuts over the latest powerful computer hardware (whether they have any use for it or not) and sometimes even ancient obsolete computers (for the "collector's value).
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think "Internet/message board geek" works because usually they fall into one of the other geek categories and like to talk about it. Unless they are the people that frequent 4chan or YTMND or something.

Tech geeks would work.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
Heheh, yeah I said he also needed to add in the fitness/health geeks who know the EXACT calorie count of every piece of food they eat and wouldn't dare go over their daily intake allowance.

Willie is right too, message board/internet geeks would be another good addition.

I also think knitting/craft geeks should be on there, or perhaps just art geeks to be more all-encompassing.
Agreed, and I mentioned "Tech Geeks" and "RPG Card Game Player". I should also mention "Nostalgia Geeks" and those weirdos that idolize a particular historical figure (like Elvis, Patton, etc.) to an insane obsession.

Say Protoclown, is there any chance of a "Part II", perhaps?
OH GOD
Mar 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
is the music nerd a picture of deadendz
is it
Reality bores me
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Let us see, I fall under video game geek, movie and TV geek and tabletop geek. As for Orks, I find a bolter will fix them easy.
after enough bourbon ...
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Does the fanfic geek have a bag over his/her head for our protection, or theirs?

I myself have been a member of RPG, Band, SciFi and VideoGame geek clubs. Once, I was a character in a LARPG - my God, what was I thinking?
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
NOTHING is lower than a furry... NOTHING!
hanging out
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
OMG....I am bottom the barrel...My profile says FANFIC... but to clarify, I only read it. I haven't written anything since I was a teenager. in all other catagories I either turn my nose up or I'm a dabbler *is depressed*
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sports Geek should be at the top of the list mostly because they will fight you for cheering for the other team, and travel in packs.

Respect should be given to the Civil War bunch. A good buddy of mine in college was WAY into this. I've never seen anyone so dedicated to researching anything... and at least it's of actual events. I went to one of these things and learned that 1)most of these guys strive for authenticity, not in uniform, but in the outcome as well 2) most have multiple uniforms and will vary which side they are one 3) I've never seen so much booze consumed in my life!! So at least its a social, moonshine drinking affair.
Member
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
damn I am all over the place on that list, the only ones I am not are war reinacter, band, sports, mmorpg, film, outaku and larper, meaning I am on the very top and bottom of the list XD
Built in the 80s
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Toy Geek and a Movie Geek and proud! (On the Internet but not particularly in real life).

Sport Geek - i can't help but think of that Seinfeld episode.
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Lets see I'm music and video game geek I read a couple of comics but nothing recently.
Crazed Techno-Biologist
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
its harsh being arolleplayer geek, but now its ok to be a nerd, because now everyone knows the nerd withthe highest iq qill likely be the one with the most money and likely gett the most gold diggers in the future.
Mr. everywhere
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
I don't think I count as Otaku even though I enjoy anime and manga since I
1)shower regularly
2)never cosplayed
me too. but ive cross dressed. does that count?
Mr. everywhere
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
also how about the geek who interrupts your conversation midway just to say something that makes the whole thing extremely awkward? i know someone like that. he would do it every single time i was talking with a friend
per sempre vigilante
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
*eye shifts*
Mr. everywhere
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM
who u shifting your eyes at, punk?
bad case of the dead
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
hell yeah babylon 5
Forum Virgin
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I second tech geeks.

Also, you forgot car geeks and gun geeks. You know the ones...
pickled
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Fan art geeks deserve the bottom.
Ultimate Buzzkill
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
A major problem with this article is that the word "cool" is used too much in describing geeks. That's the point: excessive enthusiasm bordering on Asperger's syndrome isn't cool. There's a line crossed when one attempts to base most (or any, if at all) social interactions on minutia of a specialized topic (and it can be ANY topic/interest). In fact, were I a psychiatrist, I'd want to classify geeks as an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthaeus Autolykos View Post
A major problem with this article is that the word "cool" is used too much in describing geeks. That's the point: excessive enthusiasm bordering on Asperger's syndrome isn't cool. There's a line crossed when one attempts to base most (or any, if at all) social interactions on minutia of a specialized topic (and it can be ANY topic/interest). In fact, were I a psychiatrist, I'd want to classify geeks as an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Ah, the lowest one yet. "7h3 £337 933|{"
Forum Virgin
Mar 6th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Mmk... just so you know, LARPing is like... the greatest fun ever. And I fall into 5 of these categories, so I feel pretty proud of myself. Lightning Bolt!
Not Another Whipping Boy
Mar 6th, 2008, 01:12 AM
What is really sad is when the RenFair and LARPers try to participate in martial arts. Most of them are so commited to their fantasy that they honestly can't be made to understand that "spells" are not an accepted part of effective martial arts. I have seen many a good sparring session ruined by LARPers who believe themselves to be expert combatents, but can't actually do anything besides yell out the names of their spells, deluding themselves into believing that they might actually work in real life.
Not Another Whipping Boy
Mar 6th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Also could someone tell me the diffrence between "geeks" ""nerds" and "dorks."
The Goddamned Batman
Mar 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despotofks View Post
So the sports geeks can rattle of stats AND statistics? That's pretty amazing, considering that they're the same fucking thing. Why, next you'll tell us that the film geek can tell you about many films and also movies.
I know it can be a soul-crushing thing to discover that your hero isn't perfect, but I in fact do make mistakes from time to time.

And Willie, no that isn't deadendz...haha. That's some guy from the Flaming Lips, I think. I just found in on a google search.
Forum Virgin
Mar 6th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I would call myself a living historian, in that I study history and am not yet dead. I think you missed a geek-type, one that I proudly cling to. Board game geeks! I know you covered table top RPGs, but you're missing settlers of catan, carcassonne, axis and allies, hell even warhammer 40k and blood bowl! Alas, we are a dying breed, perhaps it is fitting to be left out.
Smooth Operator
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
I know it can be a soul-crushing thing to discover that your hero isn't perfect, but I in fact do make mistakes from time to time.

And Willie, no that isn't deadendz...haha. That's some guy from the Flaming Lips, I think. I just found in on a google search.
Why, I think this is a great example of a group you left off the list.

The "holier-than-thou, has to point out the mistakes of others to make up for their own pathetic exsistence" geek.
Mucho Porro
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Carnivore Is God you're a metal geek
Forum Virgin
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Ah yes, the Furry Geeks being nearly the bottom rung of the ladder. I know all to well the feeling, being a "recovering" furry myself. I was very fortunate, though to know several "normal" furries as my first friends in the fandom...normal meaning they didn't think themselves as animals trapped in human bodies.

I was also a band geek, but dressing like a goober and marching about wasn't why I joined...come to think of it, I didn't understand why I stayed. O.o But I still would think of Otaku as lower than band geeks, cause at least band geeks have better stories to tell. "And this one time at band camp..."
Tinker tailor sailor scry
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hm, 3/16 isn't too bad. There area where I live in is painfully bland and 'normal', so there really aren't a lot of Ren fairs, or major sporting events. As I'm not in the US either, there really aren't too many history buffs interested in pretending to be in a civil war from a long time ago, where they lost much of their population and that they ultimately lost (badly).

Was always indifferent to furries, pretty much ignored them at the conventions.
Suicidal Chipmunk
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I fall under the video game geek grouping. I even hope to get into game design as a professional career. I'm also sort of an MMORPG geek, but i don't play, like, compulsively. I'm one of the MMO geeks that has REAL friends, you know?
Forum Virgin
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I dunno man, I have to agree with Butters on the whole WOW geeks getting off easier than Role-players thing; if only marginally.

What about actual dictionary-definition geeks?: The sad carnies who bite off the heads of small animals for the amusement of fair-goers. I'd put them between MMOnerds and Band Kids myself.
Forum
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Quote:
I know it can be a soul-crushing thing to discover that your hero isn't perfect, but I in fact do make mistakes from time to time.
I know my hero isn't perfect, but I just know that Patrick Swayze will come through this pancreatic cancer think ok.

... as for you Protoclown? You sir are a disappointment. You have the intelligence, you have the voice, you just can't help constantly taking a shit on all of that by throwing out one thing that fucks up each of your articles. It's like playing the most disappointing game of Where's Waldo since the Cancer-Ward edition came out.
You'll thank me later...
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I gotta get a kick out of how many of you (and by you I mean us, I did it too)tried to justify your way out of some of those categories, fuck it, we're geeks. "Well I play DnD, but only once a month" You're there, this isn't our hierarchy and society is an asshole. Not the fun, "haha watch me punch a baby" type of asshole either, the kind of asshole retcons 20 years of Spider-Man because he can't handle divorce.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Amen, Wyldflame, Amen!

I am Geek! Hear me Roar!
No Future Guy
Mar 7th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I remember I used to LARP. When I was 5.
Is a thin donkey
Mar 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I'm definitely a music and video game geek, while my best friend falls into film geek territory.
The Goddamned Batman
Mar 7th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys. It's refreshing to see so many geeks who are capable of making fun of themselves, or at least having a sense of humor about it when other people do.

I myself fall into many of these categories: music, movies, video games, comics, sci-fi, role-playing games, and toys, so I'm definitely taking plenty of shots at myself here too.

Also, I should say that when I was searching for pics and I found that pic of the furry LARPers, I couldn't stop laughing for a good three minutes.

saturnknight: No offense to your girlfriend, but there will be no reading of fan fiction here. Not on my watch.

Magic Flyin' Lemur: Back in college one of my friends lived on a dorm hall with a furry who apparently wrote these bizarre stories about himself being attacked and raped by werewolves, which included sharp claws being thrust into his asshole. Apparently the guys on the hall would get on his computer and read these crazy stories when he was gone.

Bikegeek/Mockery: Yeah, I suppose I could have included fitness geeks. Hell, there's a lot of other types I probably could have added if I'd wanted to, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Tetsu Deinoychus: I could've included card game geeks but I figure they're close enough to the RPG geeks there wasn't really any point in distinguishing them with their own separate entry.

Butters: You may have a point, but most people I've talked to have considered MMORPG players lower on the totem pole because they're not really being social like table-top gamers. True, many gamers are socially retarded, but at least they're trying.

Marthaeus Autolykos
: So I can't help but notice that you like to over analyze things...

Beatpole: Hell, I think I would pay money to see that shit. Sounds like hilarious entertainment.

KillerMcGee: You have a point, and I do play board games with my friends, but I think I would classify those more in the "RPG" type of category due to the similarities in subject matter, and I would consider things like Balderdash (my favorite board game) to be in a separate "board game" category. Still, I don't think there's enough of a following to really be considered a social sub group worth mentioning.

Despotofks: Do you have a man-crush on me or something? I "disappointed" you because I make a few typos and mistakes? I didn't know you held me on such a pedestal.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Now that I think about it, I've never even seen a genuine Ren Faire, or even heard about one occuring somewhere (anywhere). Last time I even saw the concept come up was in an episode of Home Movies way back when; I honestly didn't know they were still going on.

And yeah, should you di another list, the fitness geek, card game geeks (I remember Pokemon...), and tech geek (that one should be high on the list, if only because he can save our souls when our laptops fail. I speak out of personal expierence on that count)
Member
Mar 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I mostly agree except I would move fanfic writers up about four ranks. Actually, the ones you described (people who put themselves/their friends into stories) would knock them back down a little.
Forum Virgin
Mar 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I would put the LARPer above the The MMORPG Player at least in LARP its an excuse to get to get drunk and hit people over the head with latex weapons
Forum
Mar 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Sure Protoclown, you win. You are the Jodie Foster to my John W. Hinckley Jr. I point out your mistakes because of a man-crush. I'm not going to say that I point out your mistakes to try and help you realize you've made them so, in the future, you'll do better. It's made obvious by the fact that you get defensive and resort to sophomoric teasing when faced with what could be construed as constructive criticism that to do so would be of no help. No, I point out your mistakes because they piss me off. They piss me off because, just like most of the bloggers who have developed an angry rant-like style to their writing since Maddox came out, you suck at it. I've got to think that my reactions to your writing are the same ones you get when you're watching a zombie flick too terrible to be good but eithr too good to be funny-bad or too high budget to be funny-bad. It's easy, people get the angriest when you fuck up their favorite style.
Big Red Cat
Mar 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
A little "constructive criticism" for you, Despotofks:

Next time you offer your "constructive criticism," and want it to be construed as such, try to NOT put it in the form of a snide comment.
Forum
Mar 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
You are right about that Roggs.
Freelance Product Tester
Mar 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Furries are above no one.
The Goddamned Batman
Mar 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despotofks View Post
Sure Protoclown, you win. You are the Jodie Foster to my John W. Hinckley Jr. I point out your mistakes because of a man-crush. I'm not going to say that I point out your mistakes to try and help you realize you've made them so, in the future, you'll do better. It's made obvious by the fact that you get defensive and resort to sophomoric teasing when faced with what could be construed as constructive criticism that to do so would be of no help. No, I point out your mistakes because they piss me off. They piss me off because, just like most of the bloggers who have developed an angry rant-like style to their writing since Maddox came out, you suck at it. I've got to think that my reactions to your writing are the same ones you get when you're watching a zombie flick too terrible to be good but eithr too good to be funny-bad or too high budget to be funny-bad. It's easy, people get the angriest when you fuck up their favorite style.
I appreciate when people point out my mistakes, so that I can correct them. I don't appreciate people being dicks about it. You don't have to like my writing (that I get paid for, by the way), but it's a little masochistic, don't you think, if you hate it so much yet apparently keep returning to read more of it.
Forum
Mar 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I will try not to be such a dick about it in the future then.
No Future Guy
Mar 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Dix.
Turrican't. :(
Mar 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'm a furry who's into games and music, just a little dabbling in anime.

And I really don't care what people think of me.
Can't even THINK straight
Mar 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Furry here, I can explain it all.

Imagine you are a gay man, but you will not ever admit it or even touch gay porn. Because it is so gay. So you dress up as an animal and jerk off to shitty furry porn because dog cock is not like human cock... Right? It's not gay right? Animals do not count! SERIOUSLY!

Ah fuck it, furries ARE messed up.

If you need me I'll be in my closet watching the lion king.
The Geminate
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I found this so-called "Geek Hierarchy" editorial sorely lacking. I mean how can I be a god and the devil at the same time? Yes I am The Geminate but never mind about that. There are literally thousands of categories and tens of thousands of levels and you would need a massive flow chart to encompass it all. I am going to sulk about this all day now...thanks a lot.
Bane of Zombies
Mar 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm joining an RPG group near Cleveland soon, if anyone would like to join us just let me know.


And one more thing...no furries allowed. Ever. They creep me out
Crazed Techno-Biologist
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Bane of Zombies
Mar 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm joining an RPG group near Cleveland soon, if anyone would like to join us just let me know.


And one more thing...no furries allowed. Ever. They creep me out
i once knew a chick who turned out to be a secret furry, but not the kind that aactively goes out for the animals, the kind who wants to be one and wants you to want her for it. needless to say, she was pretty hot ass a catchick and i was ashamed.
Member
Mar 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Some folks say there's nothing lower than the furry geek. I beg to differ. Indeed, the lowest form of geek is the one who feels the need to put down other geeks in order to make themselves feel better.

It's an old story, but I'll tell it again: I once had the fortunate opportunity to have dinner with Trace Beaulieu (Crow T. Robot/Dr. Clayton Forrester of MST3K fame), who was Guest of Honor at a furry convention some years ago. And we asked him what he thought of furries and the idiotic inter-geek snarkery that frequently gets directed at them. Not surprisingly, he said he was disappointed that it goes on. I'm guessing maybe he got enough flak for being a sci-fi fan growing up in Minnesota that he knows what it feels like, so was sad to see sci-fi geeks doing it to others.

Beaulieu's comments were echoed more recently by Mark Evanier, who noted furry fandom "has endured a fair amount of mocking in the past, often from folks who oughta know better, given how their own interests have prompted ridicule from others."

Now, it's not that furries can't take a joke or anything. It's just that the folks who continually put down furries as a way of building themselves up don't seem to realize they aren't all that funny after we've heard it the first hundred times.

In summary, being a geek is cool. Being a geek putting down other geeks is really just lame. Or, as Xeni Jardin of Boing Boing says: "Yay for eccentric humans doing their own thing no matter what fun-crushers may say!"
OH GOD
Mar 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
man it's not even a type of being a geek, it's more of a sexual orientation

like being an anime fan = pedophilia
was never good
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
i personally have the heads of three yiffers mounted above my fireplace.
Member
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
i personally have the heads of three yiffers mounted above my fireplace.
Did you catch them out in the woods digging holes and eating berries?
Bane of Zombies
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think geeks make fun of other geeks to see what it is like to be the people who make fun of geeks. so if a D&D geek(like me) is bullied at work, he'll bully a furry to make himself into the person whom bullied him. It's confusing, and I didn't write that furry comment...by obnoxious cousin did. Please forgive him, he's an asshole.
Can't even THINK straight
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Not being funny but geeks as a whole endure a whole lot of mocking and general abuse from everyone. I'm not trying to be some peace and love hippie but we do need geeks at each others necks. You get Star wars fans slagging off the trekkies, the D&D fans stabbing at the LARPers and even the Nerdcore rappers do nothing but hate one another.

But the rest of the world will call us geeks no matter what faction we are in or how 'cool' we are on the list. :/

I mean, this article is humour and the people commenting should treat it as such. I take no offense from any of it. (I'm a Furry, music, D&D and video gamer, go me.)

Just my two pennies.
Bane of Zombies
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I agree with Fluke, we nerds need to unite and stop mocking each other. It saddens me to see so many people being blind to the big picture
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM
OH GOD
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Overlord View Post
I agree with Fluke, we nerds need to unite and stop mocking each other. It saddens me to see so many people being blind to the big picture
bullhonkey
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
What about Goths and Emos? Or is that for another article?
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Overlord View Post
I agree with Fluke, we nerds need to unite and stop mocking each other. It saddens me to see so many people being blind to the big picture
Agreed.


A little story:

Back when I was in high school (these were the days when 300 baud modems were all the rage... I suspect I've been online since before many of you were even born) *waves cane* we used to have these things called BBSs. This was in the days before this newfangled internet thing became popular.

Now, being the sort of huge geeks who ran or called BBSs in the first place, one could say we weren't exactly the most popular kids in high school. And a lot of these local BBSs had war boards dedicated to flaming other users for no good reason at all. So after school we'd log on and trade insults with other geeks as a way of making ourselves feel better. (This is kinda why I think the whole trading insults with other geeks online thing is so twenty years ago... I've been there, seen that, yawn and sigh.)

I don't remember what prompted it, but eventually some of us geeks got the idea that there must be more to this online stuff that just flaming each other all the time. So we started to meet each other offline (those of us who lived reasonably close, anyway). And we had fun. A lot more fun than sitting behind our computers flaming each other, certainly.

So that led to more of us getting together offline. And more of us having fun. Geeks who lived further away joined our merry band, and our group continued to grow. Eventually, there were parties. Soon we had a band of about 40-something geeks spanning two counties showing up (40 may not seem like much, but remember, this was before the AOLization of the online world... modems were still very much a geek toy). After making plans online, we descended on local arcades or movie theaters or had picnics in the park and whatever else we could think of. Hiking. Exploring abandoned places. Seeing how many highway cones we could acquire in one evening (and then wondering where we'd like to redirect traffic with them afterward). Our New Year's Eve party lasted three days.

We were geeks, yeah, but we were social. (Demented and sad, but social.)

And what happened to the geeks who still wanted to hang around in front of their computers trading insults? I don't know. They missed out on most of this, I'm afraid, and we were too busy off having fun to notice their absence.



Like all good things, this had to come to an end eventually. In 1988, many of us headed off to college and our merry band was for the most part scattered to the four winds. Some of us still keep in touch here and there.

I guess the point of this story is that it doesn't really matter if you're a gamer geek or an anime geek or a furry geek. We're all geeks, and geeks today have a choice: They can either sit around behind their computer screens flaming other geeks to make themselves feel better, or they can get out and meet their fellow geeks and find out what they, and the real world, has to offer.





Lord Rancer preparing to throw a watermelon off Kensico Dam, circa 1987.








Näyttelijäbotti!
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
double bullhonkey
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
double bullhonkey
That's an anagram for Unholy Lubed Bloke. Is there something you'd like to share with the rest of the class?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
Mar 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Wow, Proto, did you tap a vein or what with this one, huh? I loved the article, but who knew it was such an issue for people?

Incidentally, if the thing you one does is so specific that it's highly unlikely anybody else does it, is one, like a Geek singularity? 'Cause I got this friend, see, whose into some very specific shit.
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
Incidentally, if the thing you one does is so specific that it's highly unlikely anybody else does it, is one, like a Geek singularity? 'Cause I got this friend, see, whose into some very specific shit.
Y'know, I remember the days when I thought I was into some very specific things and there was no way anyone else in the world had the same interests as I did. I was too strange, too bizarre. Nobody could possibly understand. It was just too weird.

Then I stumbled onto the internet and found whole groups of people who were into the same things I was.

So yay for the internet.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
Mar 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
no, like, I'm talking you gotta have this antique walnut press, right? to make Walnut oil, and it's got to be authentic or it won't work. And then there's the whole thing with having someone paint a portrait of you while you do it. And that guy has to take a blood oath never to tell.
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
no, like, I'm talking you gotta have this antique walnut press, right? to make Walnut oil, and it's got to be authentic or it won't work. And then there's the whole thing with having someone paint a portrait of you while you do it. And that guy has to take a blood oath never to tell.
Well, is he a Tigger or an Eeyore?

Never say never.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I don't want to hang around 40 geeks. I am one of the beautiful people.
bad case of the dead
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
i think nerds of all people should understand how goofy and deserving of ridicule they are
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
I don't want to hang around 40 geeks. I am one of the beautiful people.
Well, okay, you can be a beautiful person hanging out by your lonesome while the rest of us go party and stuff. We'll send you a postcard.
Nerd Power!
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Tadao, you're at i-mockery. Besides nerdiness is fun. They have more fun than most normal people- especially when drunk.

Anyway, I'm saying Protoclown only met the scary otaku. Liking anime and not bathing should not be synonimous. Of course, I also fall under the gamer nerd. I go to ren. fests, but I'm not a groupie. (Although if I could get away with it, I would dress that way every day.) So what does that make me? Are dabblers in various forms of nerdiness nerds, or just posers?
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
oh shit! I have been mocked? *hangs head* you nerds will pay. PAY!!!!
OH GOD
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
i always harass people when they are being overly nerdy, in the hopes that they will fly into a hilarious nerd rage

because i am a comedy nerd
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
i always harass people when they are being overly nerdy, in the hopes that they will fly into a hilarious nerd rage

because i am a comedy nerd
OH GOD
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
that had better not be a 4chan reference
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
4chan = ban

You all can start thanking me now.
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
that had better not be a 4chan reference
It's more of a MegaHAL reference.

http://megahal.alioth.debian.org/Classic.html
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
4chan = ban

You all can start thanking me now.
Hey, if you're that desperate to get rid of me I can just take advantage of the sunny 63 degree weather and go ride my weirdo bike around for a while.

In fact...
Bane of Zombies
Mar 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Lucky.. it's -2 where I am and we've got 2 feet of snow. I haven't seen the sun in 6 months, too. ALthough I'm going to Aruba for the Easter season, so I'll hopefully get a tan.

Also, I think that people should get out more often in large groups. Especially where I live. I have to drive from the West side of Cleveland to the East side to see anyone outside...I'm beginning to think I'm the only person in my city 'cause I haven't seen anyone else. And why does the word "Langolears" keep reappearing in my head?
The Goddamned Batman
Mar 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Xydexx: If you were honestly offended by this, or think that I wrote it simply to "put other geeks down" (odd, considering I fall into about half of these categories), then you evidently take yourself WAY too seriously.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure there's anybody, these days, who doesn't fall into some form of geekdom.
Member
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
Xydexx: If you were honestly offended by this, or think that I wrote it simply to "put other geeks down" (odd, considering I fall into about half of these categories), then you evidently take yourself WAY too seriously.
Man, what is it with folks who always think I'm "offended" by this and "take myself too seriously"? I mean, yeah, it's true I have no sense of humor (I traded it back in 2001 for some magic beans) but the truth is my attitude when I see stuff like this can be summed up with an exhausted sigh and an eyeroll.

It's like, yeah, okay, you can dump on furries/otaku/sci-fi/whatever folks. Maybe it was funny, y'know, last year. I mean, you know Lore Sjöberg did the whole Geek Hierarchy thing already in 2002, right? Six years ago. I know part of creativity is the art of hiding your sources, but c'mon, man...

Nah. To me, the most offensive thing about people making fun of furries isn't that they're making fun of furries---it's that they seem incapable of coming up with any other jokes. They fancy themselves comedy geniuses when they're just parrotting the same old stuff everyone's heard before. I dunno, maybe they're just new to the internets and it's their way of fitting in. I know being a newbie here means I have to spend time in the spanking machine (yay!), so I'm being a good sport and not taking it personally. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. I can assure you that has more to do with my priorities than being "offended." It's not like I don't have other things to do, y'know?

Look, I'm certainly not faulting you for trying and you get a gold star for effort. It just seems sites like these are a dime a dozen on the internet these days, and I wish someone would raise the bar already.

In the meantime, I enjoyed my 24-mile ride on my weirdo bike and saw some deer and stuff, thanks for asking.
OH GOD
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
i fell into some geekdom once but after a quick shower and change of clothes i was clean again
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Burbank
no, like, I'm talking you gotta have this antique walnut press, right? to make Walnut oil, and it's got to be authentic or it won't work. And then there's the whole thing with having someone paint a portrait of you while you do it. And that guy has to take a blood oath never to tell.
Yeah, it's called "Nut-Pressing". There's a convention for it next week in Ohio.
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
Look, I'm certainly not faulting you for trying and you get a gold star for effort. It just seems sites like these are a dime a dozen on the internet these days, and I wish someone would raise the bar already.
Not to tell you how to handle your life, but if you think it is so bad here, why do you keep coming back and posting? If it is truely as unimpressive here as you seem to imply with that statement, why does it matter to you what was said at all? Why bother defending yourself and your lifestyle choices when what was said here is "dime a dozen"? Could it be that maybe deep down, it is in fact impressive to you and your reply is a bullshit attempt to lash out in revenge?
was never good
Mar 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Also to be fair most people knock on furries because they have extremely odious personal habits and lifestyles, not because it's the cool thing to do.
OH GOD
Mar 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
plus you're not exactly one to comment on originality in tactics, mister pretend-not-to-recognize-sarcasm
i got tha runz!
Mar 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
WELL,AT LEAST THESE NERDS CAN GET A HOOKER OFF CRAIGSLIST AND ACTUALLY KNOW THE "TOUCH" OF A WOMAN.THOSE HOOK'S WILL BANG ANY1.
Resident Lurker
Mar 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM
:facepalm
Member
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Not to tell you how to handle your life, but if you think it is so bad here, why do you keep coming back and posting?
Since you asked:
1. Procrastination.
2. Curiosity to see whether y'all can live up Chojin's challenge of preventing the forums from becoming another 4chan/YTMND clone.

I know the mockery thing is what passes for fun around here, but I guess the question I keep asking is: Do you know any other tricks?

If you don't, then how exactly is this place any better than the endless repetition of 4chan/YTMND y'all seem to want to avoid?

Here's an idea... let's turn your question upside down and let you answer it: If you think it's so great here, why should I stay?

It's not that I don't have better things to do (and in fact, I spent the past 48 hours doing More Important Things) so convince me. What makes you and yours so special? Why should I stick around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
If it is truely as unimpressive here as you seem to imply with that statement, why does it matter to you what was said at all?
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much to me at all. It's academic at best. You're not going to get me riled up by mocking me, because I already expect that's what this site is about. As I said, sites like these are a dime a dozen on the internets, and Chojin (supposedly) wants this place to be more than that, am I right? Or do you think Chojin is just "taking the internet too seriously"?

I'm just curious to see if any of y'all are willing to raise the bar.

OTOH, if you're really are this down on furries, why does it matter to you whether or not I think this site is just another 4chan/YTMND clone?

It honestly doesn't matter to me one way or another. Chances are I'm going to get busy with other things Real Soon Now and I'll get gone. The question here is whether you're willing to benefit from the feedback I'm offering while I'm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Could it be that maybe deep down, it is in fact impressive to you and your reply is a bullshit attempt to lash out in revenge?
Heh. By that logic, your continued attempts to bait me means deep down inside you're just jealous of furries and want to snuggle in a fursuit or something but can't afford to buy one, right? Maybe you want to keep me around because you wish you had a silly squeaky pony for an online avatar. Maybe you want to virtually fondle my horn or something, but are too embarrassed of what your other i-mockery friends will think. Maybe you're secretly wishing I'd lure you over to the dark side and take you away from this frankenstein-like 4chan/YTMND horror of a forum.

Go on, admit it, you think you'd look cute in a chipmunk outfit. Even Tadao admits she wants to be an aye-aye or wombat or jellyfish or something. Maybe you're just afraid to admit to your own secret desires.
Member
Mar 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Also to be fair most people knock on furries because they have extremely odious personal habits and lifestyles, not because it's the cool thing to do.
Yes, I agree, most people who knock on furries have extremely odious personal habits.
Emu Emu is offline
Level 29 ♂
Mar 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wasn't aware we were competing with 4chan/YTMND. I thought we were just posting shit.
OH GOD
Mar 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
man how the hell is this still getting posts

boring
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Man oh man, so much mess here to take shots at.... where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
Since you asked:
1. Procrastination.
2. Curiosity to see whether y'all can live up Chojin's challenge of preventing the forums from becoming another 4chan/YTMND clone.

I know the mockery thing is what passes for fun around here, but I guess the question I keep asking is: Do you know any other tricks?
You didn't actually give any sort of substantial answer to my question. Perhaps because you don't have any valid answer of substance. As I said, if you hate it so much, if it is as subpar here as you claim you think it is, you would have never posted here in the first place. But you did, that means something, and that something is the opposite of, "this place is boring and I have seen all this before,"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
If you don't, then how exactly is this place any better than the endless repetition of 4chan/YTMND y'all seem to want to avoid?

Here's an idea... let's turn your question upside down and let you answer it: If you think it's so great here, why should I stay?
Nice try, but as you are the one coming in here telling us our standards are not up to snuff, the onus is on you to back that argument up. As it stands, nobody here wants to convince you to stay because frankly we don't care. But when you start telling people they are like 4chan/ytmnd posters in a baseless attempt to get a rise out of us, we are going to lay the verbal smackdown on you. It is as simple as that. As it happens, you told everyone here you are a furry, so all you did was give us a target to blast. That would be your fault. Had you not wanted to hear "all the same furry jokes" you wouldn't have told us you were a furry would you? Unless of course you are too lacking in wits to know that revealing your love of all things furry would merely give us a target to make fun of. So which are you, a lackwit, or a masochist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
It's not that I don't have better things to do (and in fact, I spent the past 48 hours doing More Important Things)
Like what? Selecting a condom that looks like a weasel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
so convince me. What makes you and yours so special? Why should I stick around?
I believe I already addressed this. Stick around, or don't. My world and the world of everyone else will not change either way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much to me at all. It's academic at best. You're not going to get me riled up by mocking me, because I already expect that's what this site is about. As I said, sites like these are a dime a dozen on the internets, and Chojin (supposedly) wants this place to be more than that, am I right? Or do you think Chojin is just "taking the internet too seriously"?
I am not convinced of any of this. Had you said nothing in reply to my questions I would have been, but you proved my point by replying. We have you riled up. You actually took time to create an account exclusively to defend your lifestyle. If that isn't caring about what others think, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
OTOH, if you're really are this down on furries, why does it matter to you whether or not I think this site is just another 4chan/YTMND clone?
To me personally, it matters little other than it was an insult, so I asked you to explain why you felt the need to come in here and start a ruckus. Why out of all the "dime a dozen sites" that all doubtlessly blast furries in ways "you have heard before" are we the one you had to create a new account on and troll? Trying to reverse my argument against me is a worthless defense because I was already here posting weeks before this article was posted and weeks before your account existed. I didn't create a new account to defend i-mockery posters from you. So I say once again, the onus is on you to back your argument up. Not take mine and regurgitate it back to me by inserting your view into it. If I wanted that, I would record myself on a tape recorder and argue with that, or buy a parrot.... Wait I get it, you are acting out a furry fantasy right now by pretending to be a parrot aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
Heh. By that logic, your continued attempts to bait me means deep down inside you're just jealous of furries and want to snuggle in a fursuit or something but can't afford to buy one, right? Maybe you want to keep me around because you wish you had a silly squeaky pony for an online avatar. Maybe you want to virtually fondle my horn or something, but are too embarrassed of what your other i-mockery friends will think. Maybe you're secretly wishing I'd lure you over to the dark side and take you away from this frankenstein-like 4chan/YTMND horror of a forum.

Go on, admit it, you think you'd look cute in a chipmunk outfit. Even Tadao admits she wants to be an aye-aye or wombat or jellyfish or something. Maybe you're just afraid to admit to your own secret desires.
Did you even read the comments before you posted your first one, or did you just go straight to blasting Protoclown? I point you to the fourth post on page one where I said:

"My friends and I stopped hanging out with a guy because he fell in with the furry crowd. I hesitate to call them a geek though, it is insulting to geeks. I actually rank them about equal with the trenchcoat guy who goes to those run down porno theaters."

Does that sound like someone who wants to be in with furries? If I wanted it, i would have already been one, I had an in long ago when he tried to convert me and because he tried to convert me, myself and my best friend and his wife and another couple we all hang out with simply got out of his life. We wish him well, we don't go to his house and make fun of him for his choice, but we do not want to be a part of that world. So I think that particular attempt to once again reverse my arguement against me was weak at best.

It's called reading comprehension, I highly recommend it.

You might want to bring something other than my own argument style back at me, all that shows is you have no valid argument to counter me with. Unless of course you are merely acting out those parrot fantasies I referred to earlier...

And by the way, way to accuse people of being unorignal and then completely rip off my argument in an attempt to counter it...
Member
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Man oh man, so much mess here to take shots at.... where to start.
A good place to start would've been a valid rebuttal instead of flying off the handle in a failed attempt to get a rise out of me.

Anyone else care to explain how this place is better than 4chan/YTMND since Pentegarn doesn't seem up to the challenge?
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
A good place to start would've been a valid rebuttal instead of flying off the handle in a failed attempt to get a rise out of me.

Anyone else care to explain how this place is better than 4chan/YTMND since Pentegarn doesn't seem up to the challenge?
I thought I already told you, the onus is on you to back your weak argument up. Since you failed to do that, I will assume you can't.

You want a reason? Fine, we are better because I said so. That should be good enough for you since you clearly cannot counter anything I say without ripping off my tactics. Want another reason, a reason that states why you think it is better here? You are here arguing your case here, and not at 4chan and ytmnd. I would ask if anyone else would like to defend you since you are unable to defend yourself, but I won't because 1) all I would be doing is ripping your tactic off, even though I more than proved your take on i-mockery lacked substance so that question you asked would be invalid and 2) nobody here wants to defend you.

I expect your next reply (cause you cannot resist it) will be to give me a take with a 1) and 2) reason in it because I just did that in my post and all you seem capable of is your little parrot act.
Member
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
Anyone else care to explain how this place is better than 4chan/YTMND since Pentegarn doesn't seem up to the challenge?
Anyone? Anyone?
Ancient Mariner
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
To Anyone Trying To Engage In Genuine Debate



☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Pent, I recommend you read the ED we found on him. Don't even try to have a real argument with him on the subject.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM
In a forum I used to spend alot of time at, someone once posted an image that had a caption on it, which read...

"Arguing on the internet is alot like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded"

The result of this was that everyone got into a huge argument about whether the image was offensive to the mentally handicapped.

I don't know why I thought of that, just now.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Because you are retarded.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I...We...Todd...Ed?
Resident Lurker
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
yes, sofa king we todd did!
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Pent, I recommend you read the ED we found on him. Don't even try to have a real argument with him on the subject.
You're right. Both you and Gus are right. It is pointless trying to use logic and reason on him, he is ignoring everything said to him and seeing what he wants to see. Eventually, he will realize what a waste he is and likely will end up on crack... or is meth the wastrel drug of choice these days? I am old you see so i am out of the loop
Näyttelijäbotti!
Mar 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I disagree. Delusions of adequacy can last a lifetime.
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
I disagree. Delusions of adequacy can last a lifetime.
That hardly seems fair
Member
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Wow. For a bunch of folks who claim not to take the internet seriously, y'all sure do get bent way out of shape at the drop of a hat.
was never good
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydexx View Post
Yes, I agree, most people who knock on furries have extremely odious personal habits.
The english language would suggest that the last noun was the implied subject, but I can understand that inflatable dogs have no time for comprehension.
Clap if you love Dynamo
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM
One time, I got bent out of shape about something, so you know what I did?

This is really good. Are you ready?

I made an account on a forum and trolled it and then ignored all semblence of logic and reason I saw.

No wait, That wasn't me at all was it? Must have been someone else I was thinking of. Who could that be, I wonder? hmmmm....
Forum Virgin
Mar 20th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Is that first picture, the music geek, Kevin Rose?
The Wolf
Mar 20th, 2008, 05:42 AM
How the fuck is it cool to like dr.who and STAR TREK? WHEN WAS STAR TREK EVER BETTER THAN STAR WARS?

Aside from that, good stuff. I am a movie geek and I dabble in the toy geek stuff.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Barbies princess mansion does not count as toy geek stuff zomboid.
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Tadao knows this because he, himself is also a huge Barbie collector.
Forum Virgin
Mar 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Is the nerd catfight done now? Is it safe for me to post?

I'm a video game, MMORPG, and RPG nerd. I also use the phrase "internet culture" entirely too much for it to be healthy.

Is internet nerd worthy of it's own slot?
LOL
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
hmm, let's see...
video game, MMORPG, internet, otaku, fanfic writer.

yes I have lost a day to an MMORPG (Endless Online)
yes I do shower
no I do not dress like anime characters
no I do not write self-inserts
yes I do have a social life outside of the MMORPGs

yes furries are strange BUT as long as they don't try to convert everyone to being furries then that's okay.

another category, the insane geek (found this on stumbleupon) http://www.forthebenefitofmankind.xm.com/
LOL
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
hehe oops, clicked on submit twice...
edited it so it only says this...
Forum Virgin
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I never realized that I fit into more than one geek category... I have to rethink my entire plan of social attack now...
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Um... I might have missed the memo or something, but did you get published on Wired? 'Cause there's a page of a geek hierarchy dillio, right here. I'm sure Wired is capable of coming up with this on their own, but the timing seemed odd to me. Make what you will of this info.
OH GOD
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:42 AM
that one's not so much a hierarchy, though
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I am a video gamer, a MMORPGer and a LARPer. Firstly LARP should be moved up a lot cirtainly above the Ren Faire Geek. LARP is perfect escapism (i don't hate my life its just that everyone elses is better) and as long as you aren't living your life like it outside of the events you are considered sane. Its also a good way of keeping fit if you go regularly (all that running around a field is hard work)! But for goodness sake do not call the arrows and bolts "nerf" they are not (nerf is a company and the arrows etc. are made of everyday foam)!!!

Ta plus okaru seems worse than LARP (after its moved above the Ren Faire Geek)
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Firstly, I'll call your little nerf toys nerf toys. Secondly, Boo Hoo!
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
i pretty much so agree with the order, but i have heard some decent marching bands but the high school one usually don't sound too great and that's coming from a band geek herself. well i may not even be considered a band geek though because i am in the colorguard (the ones who spin the flags) but that might be even a little worse than a band geek.
after enough bourbon ...
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLovesThe80's View Post
[...] i may not even be considered a band geek though because i am in the colorguard (the ones who spin the flags) but that might be even a little worse than a band geek.
Not in the least. The color guard (including batons, flags, swing flags and rifles) was the only cool thing about marching band (at least from the band member's perspective, wink wink, nudge nudge). At least that's how I remember it.
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Quote:
I was in band, but I was in the Drumline. This could actually be worse though because we developed this sort or elitist idea about ourselves and declared independence from the band. And I'll always have stories that start with "This one time at band camp..."
that is totally what our drumline is like and then everyone just dislikes the colorguard because they get in the way or something like that. i also start many a story with "this one time at band camp" and i hate when other "non-band geeks" then continue to quote american pie, after that it's not even worth telling the story.
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Not in the least. The color guard (including batons, flags, swing flags and rifles) was the only cool thing about marching band (at least from the band member's perspective, wink wink, nudge nudge). At least that's how I remember it.
well with our band (at one point in time but not any more) they hated us but now it's all good.
Forum Virgin
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Um... I might have missed the memo or something, but did you get published on Wired? 'Cause there's a page of a geek hierarchy dillio, right here. I'm sure Wired is capable of coming up with this on their own, but the timing seemed odd to me. Make what you will of this info.
Ok what is up with everyone hating on Protoclown. i don't get it. i think protoclown's articles are really funny. And i think it says a lot about him that he get's paied to write about all the stuff he does. So i may be a newbie on here but lay off.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I hate Protoclown. He's a hack!
Freelance Product Tester
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I hate furries. They pollute the internet with their shitty art, they are dickless morons who can't stand ridicule, and they make searching for anything on DeviantART even worse than usual.

YIFF IN HELL, FURFAGS!!
Forum Virgin
Mar 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Ok what is up with everyone hating on Protoclown. i don't get it. i think protoclown's articles are really funny. And i think it says a lot about him that he get's paied to write about all the stuff he does. So i may be a newbie on here but lay off.
What's with the hostility? I wasn't hating on Protoclown at all... I don't really think I made myself clear, but I was implying that Wired might of plagiarized Protoclown, not the other way around (mostly because Protoclown's article was posted before the issue of Wired came out). I love Protoclown, jeeze.
☆☆☆☆☆
Mar 29th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Don't back down now The 4th! I'm with you on this! DOWN WITH THE CLOWN!
The Magnificent Bastard
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just think. One more article, and this gets bumped off the "recent pieces" list.

I wonder if people will still post here, then?
Forum Virgin
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
A friend sent me a link to the above "editorial", telling me how she found it funny at first and then got offended at the end because of this:

Quote:
The lowest form of geek, the Fanfic Writer saves the Enterprise, defeats Darth Vader, and beds Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a weekly basis. Many of them "uncover" the true homosexual relationship between two male characters, but the worst offenders are the ones who insert themselves into the story, living vicariously through their characters because they have absolutely no life whatsoever. Ubiquitous on the internet, they have no real social grouping outside of its "tubes", so there is no way to actually identify them in public. Anyone you meet could be a potential fan fiction writer. Perhaps even you could be a fanfic writer and not even know it! (If I had scary music this is where it would be playing).
Although the name of this site clearly tells the audience what you people here spend your time on, I'd just like to add the real, acutal, completely and totally LOWEST OF THEM ALL - is a person (and I use that term loosely) who puts down other people just because they have different interests.

You're a very sad person, Protoclown, and I hope someone mocks you publicly in the face every day for the rest of your life.

Renenet
(a fanfic writer, and proud of it)
Ancient Mariner
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
BAAAW HAW HAW HAW
OH GOD
Apr 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
heeeere fish fish fish
Resident Lurker
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Your friend found it funny until she came across one that she happens to participate in. HOW IRONIC.

And I'm sure all your e-friends will be very proud of you when you copypaste your post into your livejournal.
Spiteful Jerk
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renenet View Post
[long-winded post]

Wait, is this a troll or a real whining person? I.. I just can't tell anymore.

Fucking internet.

On the off-chance that you are an actual person who got offended, let me just say that fan-fiction can be extremely well-written, well-honed pieces of creative work. That does not mean that you're not a complete dork for writing it. If you write your own, unofficial, posted-on-geocities fiction set in other creators' continuities, then a) you need to maybe learn to create your own universe instead of mediocre derivative work that doesn't usually fit with the style of whatever it is you're putting yourself into , and b) you're writing FAN FICTION, stop taking yourself so goddamned seriously. People like you are the reason fanfic writers get made fun of; self-serious jackasses that can't take a joke. Same with furries and trekkies and... well, frankly, any nerd that can't laugh at the fact that they like nerdy shit.

If you are a troll, however.. Well played, I guess; pretty entertaining stuff.
The Goddamned Batman
Apr 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renenet View Post
A friend sent me a link to the above "editorial", telling me how she found it funny at first and then got offended at the end because of this:

Although the name of this site clearly tells the audience what you people here spend your time on, I'd just like to add the real, acutal, completely and totally LOWEST OF THEM ALL - is a person (and I use that term loosely) who puts down other people just because they have different interests.

You're a very sad person, Protoclown, and I hope someone mocks you publicly in the face every day for the rest of your life.

Renenet
(a fanfic writer, and proud of it)
Oh SNAP, I just got fucking TOLD
Can you be the one to mock me publicly, Rentanet? Cuz that would be awesome. Hell, I'd even pay you. Not much, but I'd pay you to follow me around and dish out some "quips".
Fucking Finland
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:00 AM
after enough bourbon ...
Apr 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renenet View Post
[...] I'd just like to add the real, acutal (actually, it's spelled "actual" - CF), completely and totally LOWEST OF THEM ALL - is a person (and I use that term loosely) who puts down other people just because they have different interests.
A fanfic writer who neglects to spellcheck posts, apparently. I won't even get into the redundant nature of "real, actual, completely and totally".

Oh snap. I just did, didn't I.

Dude, you need to grow a sense of humor.
The Magnificent Bastard
Apr 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I'm a fanfic writer, too (I write it as practice/exercise for when I write my original works. I write a little fanfic to get my juices flowing, then I switch to writing in my own fictional universe). And, I loved this article.

I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself (as Protoclown has done by including his own interests on the list), then what are you doing laughing at everyone else (as you apparently did until the last entry)?

I gotta stop using parentheses so damn much...
Doctor Caliente
Apr 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I more or less agree with this order, even though I think that "Furry" may be more of a psychological problem, as in no one in their right mind would want to dress up as a woodland creature to "go on adventures."

I'm not sure fanfic writers should be the lowest form as some just do it for fun. However, I think that if said fanfic writer was crazy enough to try to submit something to a real honest-to-God publisher or, say, mail their script to George Lucas to see if he would use it.. yes, that would be worthy of the lowest form.

LARPers... yes, they definitely deserve to be in the bottom three. I know a LARPer and, well, he's weird.
Forum Virgin
May 24th, 2008, 10:53 AM

larpers should definately be higher

i'm 4 of those - MMORPG, Table-top gamer, sci-fi geek and LARPER - and also a certified black belt in Tang Soo Do (for the guy who belittled larpers who try to do martial arts) - if you give extra credit to music and film junkies because they sometimes go out of their homes into daylight (or moonlight), and you give extra credit to table-top gamers who interact with other actual humans, how can you put LARPERS so low on the list? not even considering the fact that many LARPERS are in great shape (i know a guy who can run backwards faster than i can run forwards, and i used to run track in school - and am still in decent shape - see black belt, above) and many LARPERS are also skilled craftspeople, seamstresses, chainmaillers (myself included) etc. i think you ought to reconsider where you place LARPERS.

P.S. my LARP character does wear fur, does that make me a member of 5? i'm gonna say no, since the fur part is secondary to the part about being in a LARP. I wouldn't wear the fur if it wasn't in the setting of being in a LARP.

P.P.S. i've dressed up for midnight movie openings as both sci-fi characters and fantasy characters, does that make me a film geek?

P.P.S.S oh, almost forgot, I was a disc jockey for over 10 years - does that automatically qualify me as a music geek? if so, i'm pushing 7 categories....
Forum Virgin
May 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
sorry for double post - edited
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
May 28th, 2008, 12:44 AM
HEY NERDS, GET OVER IT
☆☆☆☆☆
May 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWolfGuy View Post
sorry for double post - edited
You should be sorry for the first one.
Forum Virgin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
You should be sorry for the first one.
that's pretty vague...care to explain? otherwise, it just seems like you're being mean for no good reason.
☆☆☆☆☆
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
It's almost like you know my soul!
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWolfGuy View Post
that's pretty vague...care to explain? otherwise, it just seems like you're being mean for no good reason.
WELCOME TO I-MOCKERY
The Goddamned Batman
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
i'm sorry you guys

i have created a monster
OH GOD
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
where on the greek hierarchy would you put someone who creates monsters

oh wait that's echidna n/m
Imperial Stormtrooper
Jun 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
FFS! I fall under the Video-Gamer, Sci-Fi and MMORPG player.. and umm "Zombie Enthusiast".. I have no life (
Bex Bex is offline
Forum Virgin
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Argh! I'm 3 of those! Honestly, how can a war re-enactr possibly be worst than a role player? Hehe - at least we reenact things that actually happened. I reenact English Civil War battles, which is great, and most people who do it aren't geeky (my society is so big, it even has it's own little groups - mainly bikers and goths, tbh). I dunno - maybe it's different in the USA - I can imagine you Americans getting a bit 'to' into it.
after enough bourbon ...
Aug 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
i'm sorry you guys

i have created a monster
I thought the responses to the "Open Letter" would gravitationally collapse and form a black hole, but I have to admit, this one is like the Energizer Bunny. Just when you think it will go away forever, it starts up again.

Feel good about it, though. It increases traffic, and is therefore no bad thing.
Official Punching Bag
Aug 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I probably missed the boat on this one, but I liked this list despite the low ranking of the Otaku which sorta doesn't fit the description of what I do (Anime blogging), but all up it was a decent article. I've tried almost everything on the list apart from Ren Faire and Furry I think. I wrote one fan fiction story when I was a lad and to this day it gets a lot of hits because a) it wasn't too perverted and b) it was a rare pairing. Still, whenever I lol at fan fic writers I'm loling at myself and others slightly more obsessed than me.

As for the dude who said something about the geeks and nerds being put on the Autistic Spectrum by psychiatrists, I've already dug myself in a hole before about mentioning my condition and I don't want to dig my own grave again.
Lady-Geek
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
please add to the list "Geeks who copy & paste the comments of others to prove a Geek-point on a forum!" thank you!
Ancient Mariner
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Nice reaction time, sport
Lady-Geek
Nov 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
i just signed up, nerd-boy!
Ancient Mariner
Nov 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Good to have ya, trigger
☆☆☆☆☆
Nov 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darqmommy View Post
i just signed up, nerd-boy!
I don't remember a section on gender benders.
Lady-Geek
Nov 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
i sometimes enjoy just loking up the keyword "furry" on google and then cackling hysterically at what i find. the extremely earnest furries who write furry fiction are the best!
Forum Virgin
Mar 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Does it count as geek if the geeks I hang out with are also strippers?

^^^EDIT!!! "FEMALE STRIPPERS"
Forum Virgin
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
i agree with this hierarchy....i love music, film, and games in that order but i am definitely not socially inept. where on the list does the geekiness start to get shameful? after sci-fi?
Forum Virgin
May 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hey! I'm a fanfic writer! I started doing it for fun and to improve my writing skills. And who has not wanted to change an ending to something? Many band people go into it for the extra high school credits and to pad thier resumes for college. Good article tho!
☆☆☆☆☆
May 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hey! I'm a fanfic writer! I started doing it for fun and to improve my writing skills.

See, I can say that too, and guess what!?! I'm lying! Back it up or shut up.
Member
Jun 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Absolutely agree with MOST of the order and reasoning. Tho aren't TV geek and Movie geek two separate things? I get that they're similar, but I know people who are one and not the other. Somehow I think TV geeks are lower. Perhaps even lower, since they're watching something known as "the idiot box."

Fanfic writers I think are higher than "FURRIES" though, by simple fact that Furry geeks also have weird sexual fetishes attached WHILE being an animal. Bestiality alone I think drops them into a sub-human category.
Clap if you love Dynamo
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I was just thinking, "Hey, the geek hierarchy thread hasn't been bumped in awhile, what gives?"

So many memories
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I can't believe this thread isn't as old as I thought it was
Clap if you love Dynamo
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
But don't you feel old when you read how many geeks just don't get it?
after enough bourbon ...
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM
It's been almost 2 years since I posted in this thread, and that's just too damned long.

I think we should continue to argue about whether Furries or FanFic writers belong at the bottom of the list.

No. Really. i-serious.
Clap if you love Dynamo
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:31 AM
We should draw attention to the fact that this got bumped again. Get Tadao and Willie and Gus in here with us
after enough bourbon ...
Jun 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
We need to add a category for internet troll.

It's just that there have been so many lately....
SKATASTIC
Jun 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Troll should be at the bottom. Troll 2 below the line.
Nuclear Waffle
Jun 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I would fit into the "Video Game Nerd" thing. I may have an addiction to Garry's Mod and Team Fortress 2. Now, off to play Prophunt!
SKATASTIC
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Relevence your honor.
Dr Tongue's 3D House
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
That was an amazing article and a real eye opener, I fall into 7 of these categories of Geekdom and at one time in my life I could add two others. I would put furries at the bottom of the list, at least the fanfics are being somewhat creative.

And the other two are neither fanfic or furries, just to clear that up for my own piece of mind.
Member
Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I shall resurrect this thread because people out there are getting all weepy saying, "hierarchies are bad and make us look like elitists and hurt people's feelings!" and "we should all just unite as geeks!". I think this is a load of crap. Especially considering that the article is humorous to begin with.

Click here to return to the Editorials homepage