Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
executioneer executioneer is offline
OH GOD
executioneer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:30 AM       
lol
__________________
[COLOR=purple][COLOR=Magenta]SHAME ON A [COLOR=Pink]NIGGA WHO TRY TO RUN [/COLOR][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGI6mhfJyA"]GAME[/URL] ON A NIGGA[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:40 AM       
what's that for?
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
executioneer executioneer is offline
OH GOD
executioneer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM       
the last line ;(
__________________
[COLOR=purple][COLOR=Magenta]SHAME ON A [COLOR=Pink]NIGGA WHO TRY TO RUN [/COLOR][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGI6mhfJyA"]GAME[/URL] ON A NIGGA[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #29  
executioneer executioneer is offline
OH GOD
executioneer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM       
idk if your not going to play any new games a mac shoudl be fine, i just dont like the way they look myself :/
__________________
[COLOR=purple][COLOR=Magenta]SHAME ON A [COLOR=Pink]NIGGA WHO TRY TO RUN [/COLOR][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGI6mhfJyA"]GAME[/URL] ON A NIGGA[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:01 AM       
The newest thing I would put on it is Deus Ex, and the thing comes standard with a ATI Radeon 9200 (I think), so it should be fine.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:07 AM       
You poor sap. You actually bought that line about "no viruses." There's plenty of security problems with Macs; you don't hear about them because only a tiny fraction of the world uses them.

Seriously, if I want to cause mayhem, would I do it to a handful of artfags or the business world?

Commodore used to say the same thing about DOS. "Only MS-DOS gets viruses!" Then a few viruses for the Amiga went through the BBSes and Commodore shut up pretty quick.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:11 AM       
Well, either way, I won't get a virus, and that is what is important to me. My computer crashed twice in one year, and the second time, I lost everything I had done in Flash, which was a lot, and it pissed me off. If I don't get viruses, I don't get viruses, whether it is because of the lack of viruses themselves or the lack of mac users.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
soundtest soundtest is offline
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SHANGHAI
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:48 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Seriously, it doesn't matter what you know because if you reread my post I said "most people."
That's really lame. You know why.

Quote:
Everyone always says, "oh you don't need a fast computer for that blah blah blah." You know what? Yes you do. After about a month of your shiny new SLOW iBook, you'll be looking at the people around you saying, "Shit, I wish my laptop could do that. Fuck, if I would have just waited another three weeks, I could afford to buy this month's iBook that comes with that feature.
The same argument could be said for any laptop.

Quote:
Yeah, just like how XP comes with everything you could ever possibly use or want to ever do with your computer. Wordpad to meet all your word processing needs and Media Player garbage for MP3s.

Safari is bullshit. The little helper apps are bullshit. Want more? Pay an annual fee to get access to handy .Mac!!! Don't even get me started on the shareware that's available for Macs. That's all bullshit, too (and I have firsthand experience because one of my professors writes some of those apps). Every one of them is just a variation on the same theme: "Oh look! We can take this RSS feed from the web and display it in an interesting fashion!"
You are extremely tedious. Say something or please shut up. You still have not given me one example of anything an average user would want to do on a Mac, but couldn't. Instead you cry about Safari again. I've used Safari and think it's great, but if I didn't, I'd INSTALL FIREFOX.

Quote:
Good luck going out to buy software, especially if you don't live in a city with one of those Apple stores. I think all Best Buy sells is MS Office for Macs, and it's just a display box because they knew no one would really want that anyways.
Who buys software?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM       
Your description of Macc users as "a handful of art fags" shows that you have no real world Mac knowledge. Advertizing and publishing firms are gonna have mostly Macs.

Quote:
Saying that the Mac version of a 4-year-old game is better is weak (LOL, how ironic, you calling my arguments weak). GL Quake looks awesome on my current machine.
It's not a weak argument when the buyer said he wants to play that 4 year old game. It just shows that you fail to grasp that a computer is only as good as how well it does what you want it to do. For your avereage, non-gamer computer user, the differences between PCs and Macs are mainly cosmetic and interface issues. If you're just writing papers and browsing the web you won't see how slow a G4 runs.
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
MetalMilitia MetalMilitia is offline
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM       
Ironically Bill Gates uses a Mac. (If the rumors are true :/)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
japan
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Alive Alive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM       
Well microsoft did bail out apple a few years back, so in a sense he owns them too lol. (actualy i think it is a "hidden" microsoft company) ironicly bill gates and "co" did write a lot of software for apple a long time ago.. just get what you think you will like the most for what you need it to do. dont subscribe to any one form or factor for style or status or w/e...
__________________
Im "Alive" im "pro-not buried" im "anti-not breathing"...ect...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Your description of Macc users as "a handful of art fags" shows that you have no real world Mac knowledge. Advertizing and publishing firms are gonna have mostly Macs.
I did several years in graphics arts and have done quite a bit of design work. I did it all on a Mac. It sucked, because everytime you wanted to do something in Photoshop... oh no! Out of memory! Well, let's free up some memory then... oh no! The whole computer froze! Reboot it with that CTRL-Apple-whatever combination... nothing... hit the reset switch! There is no reset switch... hit the power button! It does nothing! The fucking power button does nothing! ARG!!!

Advertising and publishing firms are all full of art fags, too. I've been to a few and worked with them.

Quote:
It's not a weak argument when the buyer said he wants to play that 4 year old game. It just shows that you fail to grasp that a computer is only as good as how well it does what you want it to do.
Yes, it is weak when you say that "it looks better on the Mac" after it's had 4+ EXTRA YEARS OF WORK DONE ON IT. Since you have so much experience in IT, you should know about the improvements that can be made in an amount of time like that.

Quote:
You are extremely tedious. Say something or please shut up. You still have not given me one example of anything an average user would want to do on a Mac, but couldn't. Instead you cry about Safari again. I've used Safari and think it's great, but if I didn't, I'd INSTALL FIREFOX.
AHAHAHA! I choose games! You lose, unless all the user wants to play is that puzzle thing. Oh, what's that? You want to exclude games from the argument? Too bad. Excluding games to try to prove your side of the argument is like having someone explain creationism but forbidding them to mention God.

Sure, everything you could "want to do" can be done on a Mac with the default programs, but it's extremely limiting. All you get is either A) something made by Apple, or B) something made by another company that originally was originally designed for the PC and has been watered-down to uselessness and the ever popular C) shareware RSS feed displayers.

If I suddenly started hating Office, I could switch to any number of products that are available. What are you left with on a Mac? AppleWorks or the default text editor.

You can tell a lot about what Mac users do with their computers by the software that is available, though.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/

The third most popular download at the time of this post is a program that turns your computer into a $1500 aquarium. It moves like the real thing!! Except that the real thing will only set you back about $100 and the remaining $1400 will buy you a lifetime supply of goldfish.

Quote:
Well, either way, I won't get a virus, and that is what is important to me. My computer crashed twice in one year, and the second time, I lost everything I had done in Flash, which was a lot, and it pissed me off. If I don't get viruses, I don't get viruses, whether it is because of the lack of viruses themselves or the lack of mac users.
Retarded. Macs are still as susceptible to spyware, malware, XSS and macro viruses as every other computer. Do some research before listening to the salesguy who just wants some commission. They'll say anything to make a sale; I overheard one telling a customer that you don't want virtual memory because it's "pretend RAM anyways."

If Macs weren't vulnerable, why are you recommended to get anti-virus software? You don't get viruses if you're not stupid about your computer.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
I did several years in graphics arts and have done quite a bit of design work. I did it all on a Mac. It sucked, because everytime you wanted to do something in Photoshop... oh no! Out of memory! Well, let's free up some memory then... oh no! The whole computer froze! Reboot it with that CTRL-Apple-whatever combination... nothing... hit the reset switch! There is no reset switch... hit the power button! It does nothing! The fucking power button does nothing! ARG!!!
I've never had to free up memory and I'm working daily on 4+GB photoshop files. Ctrl-apple-del is slightly less useful than ctrl-alt-del, and the G4s and newer all have reset buttons on them, so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about using OS X on a G3 when it first came out? OS 9 was rock solid stable, but maybe you had a unique gift for crashing it. If you're talking about how buggy OS X was at release, then you must be forgetting how rough the release of Win95 was. That shit goes on with any new OS architecture.


Quote:
Yes, it is weak when you say that "it looks better on the Mac" after it's had 4+ EXTRA YEARS OF WORK DONE ON IT.
My bad, I didn't realize Myst was 5 years old when I first played it on a relative's Mac. Oh well. But my argument would still stand even if it looked EXACTLY THE SAME on a Mac, if that were what the buyer were interested in!


Quote:
Oh, what's that? You want to exclude games from the argument? Too bad. Excluding games to try to prove your side of the argument is like having someone explain creationism but forbidding them to mention God.
Um, what? Games are not the ultimate use of computers for a LOT of people. In fact, very often when someone is asking for advice on a computer to buy, they'll say "I don't play many games". Gamers go for PCs. I have a PC for gaming, and I wouldn't ever buy a Mac for gaming. That's not to say you don't ahve some gaming options on a Mac.

World of Warcraft, for example, was developed simultaneously for Macs and PCs.


Quote:
If I suddenly started hating Office, I could switch to any number of products that are available. What are you left with on a Mac? AppleWorks or the default text editor.
How bout Open Office? Also, with OS X's FreeBSD base, you'll only see more and more of those wonderful open source Linux apps in OS X packages.


Quote:
If Macs weren't vulnerable, why are you recommended to get anti-virus software? You don't get viruses if you're not stupid about your computer.
It doesn't matter whether you're fucking crack whores or just your average college slut, you should still wear a condom. Get the analogy?


It all boils down to what you want to do with the machine, whether you have any past computer experience, and, yes, what the thing looks like (which is VERY important for someone who keeps it turned off most of the time!).
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Out of curiosity, are you talking about using OS X on a G3 when it first came out? OS 9 was rock solid stable, but maybe you had a unique gift for crashing it. If you're talking about how buggy OS X was at release, then you must be forgetting how rough the release of Win95 was. That shit goes on with any new OS architecture.
OS9 was a turd of an OS. We had frequent lock-ups that required us to yank the power cord. You couldn't even think of running Photoshop and Quark XPress at the same time on most days. Of course, my teacher was a big Mac fan and refused to admit that the computers fucking blew, even when they kept crashing non-stop for him, too. I guess looking at your frozen desktop is somehow different than seeing a blue screen.

Quote:
My bad, I didn't realize Myst was 5 years old when I first played it on a relative's Mac. Oh well. But my argument would still stand even if it looked EXACTLY THE SAME on a Mac, if that were what the buyer were interested in!
You're hurting your IT credibility by having not heard of Myst until 5 years after it came out.

BTW, that game was also out for Macs originally (it was made on Macs in something similar to Hyperstudio), and what you played was the upgraded 32-bit version that was released so it would work in Win98 (and to upgrade the 256 colour graphics).

Quote:
It all boils down to what you want to do with the machine, whether you have any past computer experience, and, yes, what the thing looks like (which is VERY important for someone who keeps it turned off most of the time!).
UH OH IT'S TIME FOR THE BIG GUNS AM I RIGHT GUYS?[/code]

[/img]
Reply With Quote
  #40  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
OS9 was a turd of an OS. We had frequent lock-ups that required us to yank the power cord.
I really wouldn't know other than hearsay. Other than one rediculously easy college course and playing games on other people's Macs, I was a PC guy.

I've only been working on Macs for about a year now, and while I initially despised everything about them, I've learned a lot about them and they really aren't bad. I still prefer PCs, but I acknowledge that it's a personal preference and don't try to tell everyone who likes Macs that they're stupid art fags.


Quote:
You're hurting your IT credibility by having not heard of Myst until 5 years after it came out.

BTW, that game was also out for Macs originally (it was made on Macs in something similar to Hyperstudio), and what you played was the upgraded 32-bit version that was released so it would work in Win98 (and to upgrade the 256 colour graphics).
Well I thought it was out on Macs first, but gamefaqs listed the Mac release date as five years later than the PC release. But what you're saying jives more with what I remember. The main thing I remember being different was that when you turned 90 degrees, on the Mac it swiveled over, and on the PC it just redrew the screen facing to your left or whatever. Fuck man, this was more than 10 years ago, I don't really remember or fucking care for that matter, beacuse I had a PC for gaming back then, and I have a PC for gaming now. If I didn't game, or if the only game I played was available on a Mac, I wouldn't have a system preference.



On the mouse tangent, you don't have to use a one-button mouse on a Mac. My workstation as the studio has a four-button trackball, of which I only really use 2. Anything that can be done with a right-click in a PC environment can be done with a control-click in a Mac environment, and guess what my 2nd button is bound to! :O
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:38 AM       
Just to update you guys, I have decided against the iBook. I am now getting a 15 inch Powerbook. Yes, I know it is more expensive, but I have already saved up most of the money, and frankly, Chimp's arguments didn't sway me. No offense, but I have used the exact laptop I am buying and I think it runs like a dream. Plus, I can get Flash MX 2004 for it for $99.00 with the student discount. Can't beat that.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.